Author Topic: What's with police cursing at people they're trying to apprehend?  (Read 451 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member StarfishSaver (14,735 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215375777

What's with police cursing at people they're trying to apprehend?

So many if the videos we've seen show police screaming cursing at the people they ended up shooting.

I could understand if they felt they had to yell to be heard, but cursing at them is an and indication of anger and complete lack of control.

No other public servant - or anyone else who serves the public - is given a pass for treating people with such anger, disrespect and outright abuse. But it's even worse when the people charged with keeping the peace and given the power of life and death and extraordinary discretion and often a pass when they choose death do so with such an obvious lack of control and abusiveness.

And no, don't tell me it's because they are in stressful situations and are only human. I don't want or expect the people with the badges and the guns to be able to fall back on the "Jeez! I can't be expected to control myself under stress."

Why aren't more questions raised about that?

:thatsright:

Watchfoxheadexplodes (3,452 posts)

1. Because

Drop the effin gun works better than please put it down.

Just a guess

:whatever:

5. You always manage to reveal much more about yourself than I think you intend to

It's almost fun to watch.

ugh... supergenius here thinks they owned the poor DUmpmonkie...

DUmbass.

Star Member johnp3907 (3,083 posts)

3. As someone who doesn't swear I've often wondered about this.

It seems similar to the way they often roughhandle someone who isn’t resisting, thereby forcing them to resist. It looks like deliberate escalation.

Star Member Mister Ed (3,983 posts)

10. My guess:

The intent is to intimidate people into cooperating, but instead, the practice causes confusion and disorientation while fueling an upward-spiraling escalation.

Yup. Exactly. Except the last part it BS. You clamp down hard right from the beginning in a difficult situation and then it DOESN'T escalate.

12. You really think that's the intent?

Let me tell you a little story;

I was working the night shift weekend, as I am known to do, and get a call out to the VFW Hall- fight in progress. I pull up go into the bar and see about five cowboys in the process of punching and shoving each other. In a very loud voice I call out,

"WHO WANTS TO GO TO JAIL TONIGHT!?"

It goes totally quiet.

"So, this can go two ways." I say, "The easy way is you knock this shit off, head outside and calm down- where in I'll talk to the manager and see if she wants to press any charges and if so I'll write you up a ticket and you can go explain it to the Judge next month."

"Or."

"I arrest everyone for assault in my presence and you all get an uncomfortable ride to the County Jail til the Judge can see you Monday morning."

All but one dumb-ass cowboy sheepishly walk out of the bar. The tough guy stares me down.

"Alright," I say calmly, "I'll take you to the ER before I book you in to jail."

He looks puzzled, 'Why would I be going to the ER?"

"Because I am going to at least break your collar bone and nose, maybe a rib or so before I get you locked up."

"Aw, hell... we don't need to do that," he says.

"Nope. We don't. Why don't you go outside. I'll be out in a bit, OK?"

... and out he goes.

The Manager didn't want to press any charges- nothing was broken, so I went out and all five were still there. I gave them a warning and headed out.

Now- it could have gone south right quick. But- it breaking the mood of the room with my opening shout- it defused the situation. Of course, as Frank can tell you, I'm a pretty big guy. That alone will back down a lot of people.

The last guy just had to be shown I wasn't gonna back down- and he had a way out that didn't belittle him.

They don't always work out the easy way though.

Star Member Mister Ed (3,983 posts)

13. To intimidate, yes.

It might be that I'm being too generous in thinking that the intent is to intimidate people into cooperating. Perhaps the intent is to intimidate, period.

Of this I feel certain: that the effect is to escalate.

Wrong.

14. I agree that intimidation is part of it - and not always with the goal of achieving compliance

I think it's also intended to dehumanize, debase, and humiliate.

:whatever:

Star Member Patterson (803 posts)

18. How many are hopped up on steroids?

And how many start every day hoping it's the day they get to kill a ____________?

:thatsright:

****ing Idiots.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Re: What's with police cursing at people they're trying to apprehend?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:39:03 PM »
Why do cops cuss at the perps they are chasing?  Why do mechanics swear when their wrench slips or a bolt breaks?

OTOH, maybe the cops are just trying to use the language most known to the criminals.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:22:27 PM »
Why do cops cuss at the perps they are chasing?  Why do mechanics swear when their wrench slips or a bolt breaks?

OTOH, maybe the cops are just trying to use the language most known to the criminals.

:hi5: Ya beat me to it! :hi5:

Like the old joke about using a 2x4 on a stubborn mule, first you have to get their attention.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »
Yes, DUmb****s, a person's fight-or-flight response can bring about swearing. You can't just dismiss this. Police are human. The fact that you don't see this says to me you are hopelessly partisan and intent on criticizing everything police do, or you're incredibly sheltered and have never experienced such a stressful situation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:08:53 PM by ADsOutburst »

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
I've been cussed out by superiors.

I've cussed out subordinates.

It works.

That's why we do it.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »

5. You always manage to reveal much more about yourself than I think you intend to

It's almost fun to watch.

Irony, thy name is StarfishSaver. So much dumb in such a small minded package.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 06:24:40 AM »
I'd like an example where there was violence on a person who did as instructed while politely answering the cop's questions.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »

This is a big f*cking deal.  :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer