Author Topic: As a vet I often wondered how other vets could support trumpig  (Read 393 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Duncanpup (8,177 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215445929

As a vet I often wondered how other vets could support trumpig

I personally never really thought much about the oath of enlistment I took oath in 84, until trump was elected then we all saw the threat to constitution by trump and GQP.

And we that are not a cult stood up and took notice fast, it’s been a education for me in that in wether you swore a oath upon enlistment or you didn’t, it comes down to if have the morals to try and do what is correct , compared to if you are just a ignorant racist who is fed bullshit from the right and believe it and want our country to be infected with it.

And 1/6 ****ed with my head , the repig Clyde saying it was a tour, yea sure five people got smoked on that tour and Clyde is a veteran. And we all see the disease that infected the GQP.

:thatsright:

Star Member AZProgressive (27,763 posts)

1. 1/6 was a shock to me too

Another shock is an event like that is now normalized.

I took the same oath and it bothers me a lot a President like Trump didn't take his oath seriously.

Star Member atreides1 (15,327 posts)

2. Well

Veterans like Clyde, Cotton, and Crenshaw...are loyal to a political party, are loyal to Trump, and are not loyal to the country. All, because they want to wield power over the lives of the rest of us...they want to rule, not govern!

They are the current iteration of those who marched with Mao, Stalin, Mussolini, and Hitler...

I took the oath and I remember that I swore to bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution...I still consider my oath to remain in effect...

:whatever:

no_hypocrisy (38,208 posts)

4. My guess is how Trump made them feel good.

Trump came across as a military Babbitt. An evil one. A caricature of a coach, a manager, and a booster.

Giuliani had the same effect on the NYC police department, coming across as though he were the only one who recognized the risks they took for citizens every day, their sacrifice, their under appreciation.

Trump made the vets overlook or forget that he never spent a single day doing military service. Military school was equivalent for them.

Trump told them that with their support, NOBODY in the world would disrespect the United States again EVER.

In their minds, the Commander-in-Chief who "got it". No wonder they followed behind him in lockstep.

Dave Starsky (5,910 posts)

19. Trump's "military school" was a reform school.

It wasn't some sort of pre-ROTC program to prepare for a military career. It was ever and always a last-ditch attempt to get him out of his mom's hair and try to keep the little shit from being shipped off to juvenile hall.

When I was growing up, parents were always threatening to send us to reform school if we didn't shape up. Trump's parents actually did.

Lonestarblue (3,943 posts)

6. I think I've been shocked at how this nation has changed every day since 2016.

I knew Trump was corrupt, but I never dreamed that he would be able to corrupt the entire Republican Party to this extent. I suppose their corruption had been more hidden before Trump, but he brought everything into the open—the blatant racism, the projection of all the underhanded/illegal things Republicans were doing onto the Democrats, the hatred for the press, the migrant concentration camps, the allegiance to Putin and Russia, and now the whole voter suppression/voter nullification laws they’re passing to get rid of democracy entirely.

Republicans have somehow convinced a significant minority of people that if they don’t win, the country—and they—will be so harmed that Republicans must win all elections by any means possible, and that includes outright overturning the votes of citizens, whether by laws they’re passing or by violence. Many white Christian evangelicals have bought into the cheating, lying, and stealing of elections because they know they can’t convince the rest of the country to support what they want.

I never thought I would see so much hatred and anger in this country. The resistance to efforts to stop the pandemic was astonishing. Knowing that you could wear a mask to help stop people dying and refusing to do so just to show support for a charlatan like Trump was just beyond belief. I will never understand that mindset.

I hope Democrats are able to hang on to majorities in Congress in 2022 because having Republicans in control again is just too frightening. They are taking our country into a whole new form of government right in front of us.

Crowman2009 (1,264 posts)

13. I think it also depends on how they felt about their deployments.

The ones who leaned right wing were the nutjobs who were under the illusion that Iraq & Afghanistan were winnable,. never occuring to the that the whole thing was a cash grab by the 1%.

Furthermore, those like myself hated every damn day of those deployments and couldn't wait to get the **** outta there, and would discuss with like-minded folks about post-enlistment/deployment plans while playing loud music.

16. You and my son in laws bro

They done like you Iraq Afghan be well

:thatsright:

70sEraVet (275 posts)

15. Seems like most of my old Navy buddies are Trumpers

I thought 1/6 would shake them out of it -- like I imagined that once the horrors of the Holocaust were revealed, the German people must have gone "Look where following that man has led us!"
But I think my old Nav buddies blame the LIBERALS for driving the MAGA crowd to attack the Capitol.

Alien Life Form (220 posts)

17. USAF here

The problem IMO is the country itself.

Too many give lip service to the idea of freedom and democracy but they remind me of a poem I real long ago in someones dedication of a book "to that influential man in world affairs..the man that neither knows nor cares"

Star Member zaj (3,034 posts)

21. Right-wing Authoriarianism

Right-wing authoriarians join the military, police, religion, and similar hierarchical organizations because they believe submission to authority is a moral issue.

They also value team and loyalty as a moral issue.

They justify whatever they will justify whatever their teams authority says as morally right. And whatever the other team says it's morally wrong.

Check out...

Jonathan Haidt: The moral roots of liberals and conservatives
https://go.ted.com/6bms

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: As a vet I often wondered how other vets could support trumpig
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
I’ve often wondered how someone who was in the military could then become a liberal/Dem. It’s like when they swore an oath to defend the Constitution that it really didn’t mean anything to them.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
Dems are using corporations to spy and censor speech.

Dems want to confiscate guns from people's homes.

Dems want to maintain excessive COVID control measures and perhaps introduce new ones.

Dems are 'investigating' the idea of expanding the court.

Some January 6th protestors are in solitary.

DU: Republicans are authoritarian.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
until trump was elected then we all saw the threat to constitution by trump and GQP.

The constantly talk about the "threat" that President Trump was to the Constitution but for the life of me I don't see how a Presidency that put America first and worked hard to defend our nation's borders is a threat to our Country.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »
The constantly talk about the "threat" that President Trump was to the Constitution but for the life of me I don't see how a Presidency that put America first and worked hard to defend our nation's borders is a threat to our Country.

When you hate the country that the President is putting first you're going to consider him a threat.....to you.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215445929

As a vet I often wondered how other vets could support trumpig

I personally never really thought much about the oath of enlistment I took oath in 84, until trump was elected then we all saw the threat to constitution by trump and GQP.

If you are just know thinking about an oath you took 37 years ago, it's hard to think you ever took it seriously, and casts significant doubts on how hard you think about the words you say now. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.