Author Topic: Cancel culture is out of control — and Gen X is our only hope  (Read 659 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
First it was Huck Finn. Then it was JK Rowling. Last week it was “The Muppet Show.” This week it’s Dumbo. It’s only a matter of time before “Star Wars” gets canceled and you know it.

Will Gen X please stand up? I have something I want to say to you — to us.

We grew up in a country that didn’t ban books. We all agreed that witch hunts and blacklists were bad. Censorship was an outrage. The 1980s were not that long ago. Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about.

So obviously we’ve got a problem here. Everybody can see it. Everybody knows where it’s heading. What we don’t have — yet — is a group of people who are willing to do something about it.

I nominate us.

The generation that fought for its right to party should be leading the charge against these millennial Maoists terrorizing the culture via social media. Why aren’t we?

The reason is as obvious as it is unacceptable: We’re terrified of getting canceled ourselves. The kid who stands up to the neighborhood bully may end up a hero, but he may take a humiliating beating first. Most of us are like that character in “Raiders of the Lost Ark” who saw the pit full of snakes and said to Indiana Jones: “Very dangerous. You go first.”

https://nypost.com/2021/03/13/cancel-culture-is-out-of-control-and-gen-x-is-our-only-hope/

A worthwhile read and much more at the link.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Cancel culture is out of control — and Gen X is our only hope
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 07:41:49 PM »
Better late than never, I guess, but where the hell was this sentiment 5 years ago?

The music references are lost on me (who the hell is/was Twisted Sister? -- never mind, I really don't wanna know), but yeah these snowflake wannabes who were shitting their diapers in the 80s might wanna get real and come to the party.

The BLM and antifa types are interfering with your TV shows, Xers. Can't have that.  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 08:07:44 PM »
Better late than never, I guess, but where the hell was this sentiment 5 years ago?

The music references are lost on me (who the hell is/was Twisted Sister? -- never mind, I really don't wanna know), but yeah these snowflake wannabes who were shitting their diapers in the 80s might wanna get real and come to the party.

The BLM and antifa types are interfering with your TV shows, Xers. Can't have that.  :rotf:

Firmly in the middle of Gen X, and at one point we were generically regarded as the "slacker" generation.  Yet now, many Gen X are running the show in business, politics, entertainment, etc.  The time has finally come for my era of folks to start taking the car keys away from grandpa and these ridiculous insane millenials.

And Twisted Sister had a really amusing protest song called "We're Not Gonna Take It" in the 1980's, and the video is appropriate as well:

https://youtu.be/V9AbeALNVkk

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »
Firmly in the middle of Gen X, and at one point we were generically regarded as the "slacker" generation.  Yet now, many Gen X are running the show in business, politics, entertainment, etc.  The time has finally come for my era of folks to start taking the car keys away from grandpa and these ridiculous insane millenials.

And Twisted Sister had a really amusing protest song called "We're Not Gonna Take It" in the 1980's, and the video is appropriate as well:

https://youtu.be/V9AbeALNVkk

In all sincerity, the "slacker" generation has always been the newest one that recently emerged to adulthood (without being actual adults).

My own group, the Baby Boomers, was completely castigated by George Carlin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6N3CrKPCUA

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
In all sincerity, the "slacker" generation has always been the newest one that recently emerged to adulthood (without being actual adults).

My own group, the Baby Boomers, was completely castigated by George Carlin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6N3CrKPCUA

Beautiful and well said by the late great Mr. Carlin.  Certainly didn't agree with him on most political issues, but his analysis and deconstruction of language is still a thing of beauty.  Wish he were alive in this era.

Came into a little $$$ last fall and forked over about $40 for the entire Carlin box set collection.  It has all of his 12 HBO specials and bonus material, adding up to 22+ hours of material.  Haven't even watched the whole thing yet, but my goodness, his stuff is timeless.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »
Beautiful and well said by the late great Mr. Carlin.  Certainly didn't agree with him on most political issues, but his analysis and deconstruction of language is still a thing of beauty.  Wish he were alive in this era.

Came into a little $$$ last fall and forked over about $40 for the entire Carlin box set collection.  It has all of his 12 HBO specials and bonus material, adding up to 22+ hours of material.  Haven't even watched the whole thing yet, but my goodness, his stuff is timeless.

Absolutely right about his stuff being timeless. I'd swear he was clairvoyant.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
Carlin was a comic genius and had a certain cynicism that allowed him to clearly describe the state of our society in no uncertain terms..
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
the importance of 'Stuff' in our lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne