Author Topic: Thanksgiving is coming  (Read 13975 times)

Offline Fourwinds

Thanksgiving is coming
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
So ladies and gents, since the holidays are upon us, does anyone have Thanksgiving plans?

For myself it'll be a relaxing day. I'll make some fixings the night before and throw a turkey breast in the slow cooker Thanksgiving morning. After that it'll just be football and probably reading about our DU friends bitching about the pilgrims or something.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: Thanksgiving is coming
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
Back in my old house and all by myself for the first time ever. No idea other than football
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
Depends what my parents are up to.  I usually spend the day with them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28:08 PM »
I'll be getting up early in the morning to start cooking the turkey.

Actually, it won't be my turkey, and there'll be three of them, medium-sized.

They belong to the neighbor, whose wife's cooked Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's turkeys here since I moved out here the autumn of 2005.  There's a really big kitchen with hardly anything in it--and miles and miles of clean bare formica counter-space--and by doing things this way, she can use her own large modern state-of-the-art kitchen (this is an "old-fashioned kitchen" here) for preparing other food.

Less clutter, less mess. 

I've always started it, and watched it, until she's come over in late morning to take over.  It's finished, carved and sliced, and transported to their place in a 48-quart Thermos chest.

It goes without saying that franksolich has always been part of the meal--the family's the neighbor, the neighbor's wife, and four young children--but this year it's including the neighbor's older brother, his wife, and their four children too.

And this is repeated for Christmas and New Year's too; it's heaven, dining on turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving through mid-January.  One never gets tired of turkey.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
Ralphie will be homeless on Thanksgiving.  No, this is not a tale of woe.  Just first time in 70+ years that there hasn't been localized family gathering.

My Mom is going out of town to visit her brother, my brother will be gone with his wife.  Not to worry, Ralph will be dining with his second family.  Our family's best friends who treat me like I'm their son.

Plus, I run my usual Wednesday night trivia shindig.  That night is a big moneymaker for the bar and many others.  Then I also do a private show at a friend's house for 40-50 folks on Turkey Day.  They pay me, feed me, provide me a few cocktails, and some actually tip me.  Well worth my time.

While I will certainly miss the family stuff, being surrounded by  loved ones will be perfect enough.

Truly hope you all have safe & joyous adventures!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
I almost whacked Thanksgiving dinner last night taking stuff over to the old house. About 20-25 wild turkeys crossing the road -- and I don't mean the boozy variety (although one of 'em was staggering a little  :-))
Piney Power!!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »

apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Looks like it's going to be a Thanksgiving weekend for us.

Thursday I'll be doing a 10K turkey trot near Pinole in a park on San Pablo Bay - nice bay views, eucalyptus groves, excellent race organizers and people. It's a benefit for the Contra Costa County Food Bank. The afternoon will probably be low-key.

Friday will be our family dinner, with my older daughter, son, and his wife. Turkey, stuffing (from a box), mashed potatoes and gravy (from Boston Market), green beans, yams (with plenty of butter and brown sugar), and apple-raisin salad. Our younger daughter lives in China, so ...

Saturday I'll be doing a 10K turkey trot in a park in Fremont, same organizer, a lot of the same people. It's a benefit for the Alameda County Food Bank.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
I haven't celebrated Thanksgiving in probably 20 years, other than a family get-together at Mari Callander's about 10 years ago.

If I can find a personal sized pumpkin pie, I indulge in that (rare).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
I think since I'll be alone, I'll probably get something from the local ShopRite. I'm actually a really good cook (ahem) but with no one to cook for, I'll just get something prepared. Yeah, yeah, sounds very sorry for myself but this is the first year I've been alone ever. Hopefully next year will be different.
Piney Power!!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 02:51:10 PM »
I think since I'll be alone, I'll probably get something from the local ShopRite. I'm actually a really good cook (ahem) but with no one to cook for, I'll just get something prepared. Yeah, yeah, sounds very sorry for myself but this is the first year I've been alone ever. Hopefully next year will be different.
Those small 2-3 lb. bone-in turkey breasts always worked for me.  You get a couple days of leftovers out of one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Back in my old house and all by myself for the first time ever. No idea other than football
By myself too. I will crock pot a turkey breast. Its rather a peaceful time for me.
I will have to hunt down a pumpkin pie. I got a pecan pie, but it will not survive the weekend.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
I brought a 13 pound turkey home !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
If I were doing Thanksgiving by myself, I would go with the previously-mentioned breast or duck.

I've never had duck, but it looks interesting.  I just need to find somewhere around here that sells it, or make plans to have some shipped.

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
If I were doing Thanksgiving by myself, I would go with the previously-mentioned breast or duck.

I've never had duck, but it looks interesting.  I just need to find somewhere around here that sells it, or make plans to have some shipped.

Duck isn't bad at all. Especially with a sweet glaze. I've always wanted to try goose myself.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
OK my dinner went like this: Turkey breast cooked with baby carrots, seasoned with garlic , salt pepper, and Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. came out perfect! Served on a bed of rice with turkey gravy.

wonderful! and I still have leftovers!

My neighbor gave me a plate of green bean casserole. so I am having that tomorrow with the rest of the turkey.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 09:33:47 AM »
I love turkey, but not as much as a DUmmie...

There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.