Author Topic: Should there be a Second Constitutional Convention?  (Read 349 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Should there be a Second Constitutional Convention?
« on: June 07, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »
Star Member kentuck (97,836 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213557374

Should there be a Second Constitutional Convention?

Who would be invited to attend?

Where would it be?

Would Black Lives Matter supporters be invited to the Convention?

How could it not be an improvement over what we have now?

What new Amendments would you like to see added to the Constitution?

Or should we write a new Constitution?

What have we got to lose?

:thatsright:

Star Member yardwork (50,673 posts)

1. What have we got to lose? A lot.

I'm not inclined to risk letting today's right wingers rewrite our Constitution.

3. What if, "they're not invited"?

A Government of the people, by the people, and for the people...

...except those we don't like...

hack89 (38,413 posts)

13. Then you have just started a civil war.

Would you accept a constitutional convention that did not let progressives participate?

somehow this will be Trump's fault...

19. That's an excellent point.

I fear that is the direction that Trump is dividing this nation.

Star Member Hortensis (38,868 posts)

4. Only for the hard RWers who plan to overthrow this one.

They've been working on this for decades, are extremely powerful and well organized, and know in great detail they want in it.

However perilously close they came in 2016 to mounting a legal putsch, they lost ground again in 2018, and in November we're going to make this once again only a theoretical question.

:rotf:

Star Member Marcuse (2,705 posts)

12. Other than the electoral college and equal rights the Constitution is ok.

Star Member MyNameGoesHere (6,027 posts)

22. The path we are on will eventually Result in someone drafting a new constitution. I personally think the current one is daft. But most people want to wait and see what fate brings. So they are OK with trump or trump like people writing the next one. Why participate if you can just wait around saying no this one is perfect...

Star Member JHB (29,682 posts)

23. Any 2nd CC for the foreseeable future would quickly get highjacked by RWers

This is one of the items the Koch brothers, like-minded ideologues, and their corporate lobbyist allies have been quietly pushing for years. They would like nothing better than to rewrite the constitution to lock in their view of the way things ought to be and make reform impossible.

It would be a second Confederate Constitution, which did the same thing.

Don't think for a minute they don't have draft proposals that were written up years ago -- part contingency plan, part political masturbation -- that can be dusted off and updated pretty damn quick.

Through money and connections they have the influence to be a huge or even dominant influence on a 2nd CC. No other group has anything like this kind of off-the-shelf game plan.

So what do we have to lose? Everything.

:whatever:

Star Member Firestorm49 (2,165 posts)

33. Put me in the "no" column.

I’ve already read too much about how Republicans, having garnered something like 34 states to have a second convention, have no other motive than to draw up the constitution on their ideals, not representing “we the people”, but “we the party”, “we the money”, “we, the privileged.”

I’ve not read much of anything about it from Democrats to this point. The surface issues are sure to attract a great amount of interest, but I’ve read plenty on DU about the hidden agendas that Republicans wish to be included - right out of the Koch playbook and the Federalist Society.

I wouldn’t trust the process to be fair. We all know how things work. The title of the bill, article, attachment etc, says one thing, but what’s buried within is quite another, and that, my friend, is what Republicans will be after.

:whatever:

Star Member ooky (4,649 posts)

39. The one we have is fine if applied with common sense, something the RW'rs are short on, who try so hard to tailor it's meanings to their own selfish ideological whims.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!