Author Topic: Have you been surprised by a recent death by pneumonia of someone you know? (Pol  (Read 305 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member lostnfound (13,537 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213034307

Have you been surprised by a recent death by pneumonia of someone you know? (Poll)
I have. Twice this week, I learned that someone I knew who was about 80 just died of pneumonia. In the month of February.

Not saying it’s COVID-19. But it gave me a little concern to know that no one knows. Because they haven’t been testing.

Both of them were a surprise. At least one of them had a rapid, unexpected decline.

No man is an island. I love our 80-year olds... at this time in history, it’s really very nice to be able to keep the elders around.

:thatsright:  no point in copying the poll as they all post their answers too.

McCamy Taylor (18,606 posts)

1. Physician here and a bunch of my patients have been on ventilators with an unknown respiratory infection this winter---many more than usual and the ones affected have not had unusually weak lungs. They all survived. I hope that someone will do retrospective testing for Coronavirus as well as Influenza A (there is an H1N1 strain and those are the worst kind). Remember that rapid flu screen have poor sensitivity meaning that they miss lots of flu. It has to be an actual viral test.

:whatever:

GreenPartyVoter (68,425 posts)

3. Yes. She had cancer but couldn't fight off the pneumonia.

jpak (37,979 posts)

6. My 90+ YO Mom came sown with a "viral lung infection" last week and ended up in the ER

cough, lethargy, hypoxia and shortness of breath.

She's in a nursing home and told us not to come see her.

No pneumonia - but it makes me wonder.....

McCamy Taylor (18,606 posts)

8. My 80 plus mother who never gets sick (including never gets flu)

had a cough two weeks ago. She is strong as an ox and got over it but she was surprised by how bad her cough was and how long it lasted. And currently my whole family has a cough from hell. I am one of those who never gets respiratory flu. But I now have walking pneumonia (have never had pneumonia before) and have to use albuterol nebulizer every 2 hours to breathe (even though I do not have asthma). Since none of us is sick enough to be admitted to the hospital (steroids and every 2 hour albuterol nebulizer treatments are keeping us alive), we do not qualify for corona-virus testing. My flu test has been negative twice. That does not prove it is not the flu. But (like a large percentage of people) I never ever cough with flu! I think this is something else.

See my post about why the US for profit health system has a financial incentive not to test for coronavirus.

:mental:

Star Member defacto7 (12,689 posts)

9. One who almost died... twice.

The weird thing is she had it once, recovered, then relapsed into it again after a couple weeks from release. Both times were life threatening.

Sound familiar?

Star Member JohnnyRingo (14,140 posts)

10. I'm posting from the CCU with pneuonia right now.

Last year this month I was here and slightly closer to death. They put me in a coma for a week to save me.
This time it's a collapsed upper lung with horrible chest pain. What caused me to call the ambulance was the 160 bpm heart rate. It took a while to call because I didn't believe the oxy-pulse meter.

When I arrived in the ER hospital staff came from all over to look in the room with the crazy beep. They finally stopped my heart for a few seconds, then started it back up hoping it would reset. I panicked as I couldn't breath and the world began fading away like the red light on an unplugged cable modem. I came back when it started and asked that they not do that again. Just like unplugging your cable and plugging back in, that didn't work, so they tried some other medicine that did.

Anyway, I've been her e since Thursday and advise everyone to avoid unnecessary contact this month, especially if you have a compromised respiratory system like mine. Pneumonia screws with everything and kills in unexpected ways. Just because you make it to the hospital doesn't mean you'll live.

:whatever:

GusBob (5,349 posts)

11. In the past year Ive known more deaths by suicide

Than any other cause

:thatsright:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Pneumococcal bacteria are different from influenza viruses are different from Corona viruses. So test away, but understand that results DU-folk don't want to hear are valid.

Is there a reason DU-folk want to inflate and cause suspicion about Covid-19 deaths? :whatever:  :fuelfire:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.