Interests > All Things Edible (and how to prepare them)

Sausage Making 101 - The Basics & Breakfast Sausage

<< < (2/5) > >>

Eupher:

--- Quote from: RuralNc on March 27, 2023, 05:54:32 PM ---Thanks for the link, thats some informative reading.

Now, I will happily provide you with a recipe, if you like. Cause it sounds like you miss it..  :-)

--- End quote ---

TBH, I had always thought that hackpeter (or mett as you call it) was made from cured, but otherwise raw, pork. The link told me otherwise.  :runaway:

RuralNc:

--- Quote from: Eupher on March 28, 2023, 05:45:24 AM ---TBH, I had always thought that hackpeter (or mett as you call it) was made from cured, but otherwise raw, pork. The link told me otherwise.  :runaway:

--- End quote ---

Most likely, it would be toxic if cured, but served raw. Cure #1 and its compound sodium nitrite, would be toxic until they reach a temp. of 140*F.

Curing of meats will be discussed in due time.  :-)

Eupher:

--- Quote from: RuralNc on March 28, 2023, 07:02:43 AM ---Most likely, it would be toxic if cured, but served raw. Cure #1 and its compound sodium nitrite, would be toxic until they reach a temp. of 140*F.

Curing of meats will be discussed in due time.  :-)

--- End quote ---

Interesting. Never knew that.

I looked at your LEM Big Bite grinder. Whoa. This one at $280 is the cheapest I saw. I didn't even look at stuffers. Probably for what I'm likely to do (brats and breakfast sausage), I'll just stick with the KA.

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/grinders/.5-hp-grinder-8/1117073.html#start=1

RuralNc:

--- Quote from: Eupher on March 28, 2023, 08:53:39 AM ---Interesting. Never knew that.

I looked at your LEM Big Bite grinder. Whoa. This one at $280 is the cheapest I saw. I didn't even look at stuffers. Probably for what I'm likely to do (brats and breakfast sausage), I'll just stick with the KA.

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/grinders/.5-hp-grinder-8/1117073.html#start=1

--- End quote ---

I wanted to double check, because that price didnt jive with my recollection. Heavens knows, im not perfect. I checked the model number on my grinder, and I have made a mistake. Its a Mighty Bite. Not a Big Bite.

https://www.lemproducts.com/product/mighty-bite-8-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders

The current price though, is still up there. When I bought mine, a few years back, it was right around Christmas. We stopped in an Outdoors Store for something completely unrelated. I stumbled across the grinders, and couldn't turn it down. I dont think I paid even a hundred bucks for it. If that.

I did some digging on Amazon, and found the stuffer that I bought. Its a Hakka brand. Its an 11Lb/5L stuffer. Current price is $180. I definitely didnt pay that much.

Stuff is going up, up, up...

It comes down to efficiency. Nothing more. Just depends on how much your processing, and how often.

RuralNc:
Sanitation

Welcome back. Im going to make this section short and sweet. I think everybody understands sanitation. I hope at least.

We will talk about Meat Selection soon, but lets go on the assumption that you have sourced the meat from a reliable source. Its generally accepted that the hunk of meat is clean, and fit for consumption. In the packaging it is a nearly sterile environment. When you open it, all bets are off. As soon as you plunge your knife in it, everything changes. When you run it thru the meat grinder, you are now potentially spreading little beasties from one corner to another. I think its clear why sanitation is paramount.

Anytime I get started, the first step is to sanitize my cutting board, knifes, and meat grinder components. Along with an pans or bowls that will hold the meat.

You can purchase sanitizer or just make your own. 1 TBSP bleach to 1 gallon of clean water. I double checked and thats the current guideline from the CDC. You want to to submerge for 1 minute or so, and your good to go. Assuming that you have already washed all the parts to be sanitized. Sanitization should be the last step.

Ill admit that my cutting board is too big to fit in my sink, so I mop the top of it with the bleach solution, as I balance it over the center divider in my sink.

That covers Sanitation.

To be continued.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version