Author Topic: live election thread (public) 11-04-14  (Read 8109 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: live election thread (public) 11-04-14
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
Had my fill tonight. Congrats conservatives and Republicans on a great election night!

It was nice to be back and see the old crew. See ya'll again soon.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »
MSNBC is run by crazy people.  They're in panic mode right now.

Chris M. looked ill. Thought he was going to throw up. Priceless

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »
Senator Landrieu (D) will surely lose in the runoff with Cassady in Dec. Voting for Obamacare and gun control is a sure death wish in LA.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »
That one - Mary Landrieu is the one I wanted to see turned out most of all and the run-off is about a month away. The latest election results I can find so far:

Sen. Landrieu (D) 599,372 42%
 Cassidy (R) 595,173 41%
 Maness (R) 199,909 14%
 Clements (R) 14,000 1%

I wanted Colorado for their gun control attempt, Mary for her Louisiana Purchase. I think Mary is drawing dead here, all the Maness votes will go to Cassidy.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
I want to thank everybody who participated in this thread, and the one in the DUmpster, and the third one in the Rants and Raves forum.

It was an exhilarating night.

We all need to thank miskie, who kept this board running after problems developed; I dunno what we'd do without him and Chris_ taking care of things around here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »
The GOP easily won the 218 seats required and was on track to match or surpass the 246 seats they held in President Harry S. Truman's administration more than 60 years ago.

Overall, the GOP gained 14 seats and counting; Democrats, just one.

Obama suffered an ignominious distinction. The president, whose party lost 63 seats in 2010, saw Democrats lose 12 seats and became the two-term president with the most midterm defeats, edging past Truman's 74 by one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2014, 06:49:11 AM »
“We didn’t agree on much but I admire anyone who is willing to stand up and fight for what they believe in. Well, Iowa. Well, Iowa, we did it! We did it!… It’s a long way from Red Oak to Washington, from the biscuit line at Hardees to the United States Senate. But, thanks to all of you, we are heading to Washington… And, we are going to make ‘em squeal!“

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
This was the prediction map with no toss-ups from yesterday evening before the polls closed.

Real Clear Politics
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/11/04/west-virginia-elects-americas-youngest-state-lawmaker/

West Virginia Elects America’s Youngest State Lawmaker

A West Virginia University freshman who did most of her campaigning out of her dorm room became the youngest state lawmaker in the nation Tuesday.

Republican Saira Blair, a fiscally conservative 18-year-old, will represent a small district in West Virginia’s eastern panhandle, about 1½ hours outside Washington, D.C., after defeating her Democratic opponent 63% to 30%, according to the Associated Press. A third candidate got 7% of the vote.....

.....In a statement, Ms. Blair thanked her supporters and family, as well as her opponents for running a positive campaign. “History has been made tonight in West Virginia, and while I am proud of all that we have accomplished together, it is the future of this state that is now my singular focus,” she said.

Ms. Blair campaigned on a pledge to work to reduce certain taxes on businesses, and she also holds antiabortion and pro-gun positions. She defeated Democrat Layne Diehl, a 44-year-old Martinsburg attorney, whose top priorities included improving secondary education and solving the state’s drug epidemic......
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Dori

« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
VA has 99.88% of precincts reporting (3 left) and it still hasn't been called.

Ed W. Gillespie Republican 1,053,444 48.37% 

Mark R. Warner Democrat 1,069,451 49.1%

I think if it's one percent or less, they can ask for a recount

http://cms.sbe.virginia.gov/public/?p=election_summary&id=1&loc=true
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
Pat Quinn Concedes Illinois Gubernatorial Race To Bruce Rauner

Pat Quinn (D) has conceded the Illinois gubernatorial race to Republican challenger Bruce Rauner.

"It's clear that we do not have enough votes to win the election, and therefore we respect the result," Quinn said during a Wednesday afternoon press conference.

It was Quinn's first public statement since insisting late Tuesday night he would not concede until 100 percent of Illinois' votes -- including absentee ballots and early voting ballots -- had been counted.
Huffington Post
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
Chris M. looked ill. Thought he was going to throw up. Priceless

:rofl:

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/11/04/west-virginia-elects-americas-youngest-state-lawmaker/

West Virginia Elects America’s Youngest State Lawmaker

A West Virginia University freshman who did most of her campaigning out of her dorm room became the youngest state lawmaker in the nation Tuesday.

Republican Saira Blair, a fiscally conservative 18-year-old, will represent a small district in West Virginia’s eastern panhandle, about 1½ hours outside Washington, D.C., after defeating her Democratic opponent 63% to 30%, according to the Associated Press. A third candidate got 7% of the vote.....

.....In a statement, Ms. Blair thanked her supporters and family, as well as her opponents for running a positive campaign. “History has been made tonight in West Virginia, and while I am proud of all that we have accomplished together, it is the future of this state that is now my singular focus,” she said.

Ms. Blair campaigned on a pledge to work to reduce certain taxes on businesses, and she also holds antiabortion and pro-gun positions. She defeated Democrat Layne Diehl, a 44-year-old Martinsburg attorney, whose top priorities included improving secondary education and solving the state’s drug epidemic......

She wasn't expected to win even though that area is heavy GOP. Good for her!  On a further note...

1. The GOP has won the WV state house of delegates... the first time that has happened since the 1930's.   I never thought I would see the day that happened.

2. The incumbent dem,  Nick Joe Rahall (D), lost the US house of representatives seat he has held for almost 38 years and the other GOP US HOR candidate won too. That leaves WV with only one federal government seat in dem hands... the one held by Manchin.

WV is now effectively lost to the dems for the next two years.   :yahoo:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »
She wasn't expected to win even though that area is heavy GOP. Good for her!  On a further note...

1. The GOP has won the WV state house of delegates... the first time that has happened since the 1930's.   I never thought I would see the day that happened.

2. The incumbent dem,  Nick Joe Rahall (D), lost the US house of representatives seat he has held for almost 38 years and the other GOP US HOR candidate won too. That leaves WV with only one federal government seat in dem hands... the one held by Manchin.

WV is now effectively lost to the dems for the next two years.   :yahoo:

Perky,

I read that Manchin said today he wasn't interested in switching to the Republicans.  He made it sound like he would rather go home and run for governor instead.

You think he might change his mind, come January?

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
Perky,

I read that Manchin said today he wasn't interested in switching to the Republicans.  He made it sound like he would rather go home and run for governor instead.

You think he might change his mind, come January?

No. Manchin might be conservative but he comes from a long line of political dems.  State government is eat up with the Manchins and they are all dems. The current head of the dem party, Larry Pucio, was Manchin's chief of staff when he was gov.

Personally, I think Manchin, arrogant ass that he is, cannot stand being a US Senator. Nobody fawns over him like they did when he was Gov and he has an ego the size of Obama. The conventional wisdom being talked about here is that Earl Ray Tomblin, the current Gov and former State Senate President who became Gov when Manchin became senator, will run for the senate seat in 2016 and Manchin will come back and run for governor. He was a very popular governor.

Now all bets are off if the dem candidate for president in 2016 selects him as a running mate. I hope that happens. Better his ass be in DC than here.   :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
The Russian take on the whole bit, although I dunno why it's datelined Omaha.

http://en.apa.az/xeber_republicans_gain_control_of_senate_in_us_218585.html

Republicans gain control of Senate in US midterm elections -

President Obama will face strong opposition in Congress in the rest of his tenure

Nebraska, Omaha. Anakhanum Hidayatova - APA. According to the preliminary results of the midterm elections in the United States, republicans gained the Senate majority.

APA's correspondent, observing the elections reports that republican took control over both houses of congress for the first time over the last eight years. It shows that President Barack Obama will face difficulties and obstacles in both domestic and foreign policy in the rest of his tenure. It is known that Republicans take a firm stance against Russia.

According to the preliminary results, Republicans can hold 55 of the Senate's 100 seats. Republicans currently hold 45 seats.

Republicans grabbed Democratic Senate seats in North Carolina, Colorado, Iowa, West Virginia, Arkansas, Montana and South Dakota. Current Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has already congratulated Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Republican Ben Sasse won Nebraska Senate race. Jeff Fortenberry was elected to the House of Representatives. Fortenberry said at the meeting with the Azerbaijani delegation that Azerbaijan is an important partner for the U.S.

Midterm elections are held every two years, House of Representatives (435 seats) are re-established and one-third of the 100 Senate seats are renewed. The election results will be officially approved in December.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
Funny thing about all this Manchin business is that Manchin was one of the super delegates that put obumbles on the dem ticket for pres!!!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »
Oh it gets even better in WV. Seems one the dems in the state senate switched to the GOP today and that give the GOP a 18-16 majority in that body.

This just keeps getting better and better.   :yahoo:

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20141105/GZ01/141109630/1101

Seems some of the long time dems, heavy hitters in the state, have lost their seats.

It will be really interesting if Manchin runs for gov in 2016. The senate seat he vacates will probably go to the GOP, and Manchin may not win depending on who runs against him... especially since Manchin used his dem party super delegate to get obumbles nominated. That has got to be some baggage for ole Joe.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:45:38 PM by I_B_Perky »

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
Oh it gets even better in WV. Seems one the dems in the state senate switched to the GOP today and that give the GOP a 18-16 majority in that body.

This just keeps getting better and better.   :yahoo:

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20141105/GZ01/141109630/1101

Seems some of the long time dems, heavy hitters in the state, have lost their seats.

It will be really interesting if Manchin runs for gov in 2016. The senate seat he vacates will probably go to the GOP, and Manchin may not win depending on who runs against him... especially since Manchin used his dem party super delegate to get obumbles nominated. That has got to be some baggage for ole Joe.

AHAHAHAHAH.  :lol: :lol: The hits just keep coming!! 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
Okay now, the election's over, and the people have spoken, loud and clear.

The Republicans had heretofore "owned" one-sixth of the government, the House of Representatives, and the Democrats five-sixths--the Senate, the White House, and the left-leaning Supreme Court.

(For lurking primitives who don't know, the House and the Senate are the legislative branch, the White House the executive branch, and the Supreme Court the judicial branch--each of the three branches being exactly the equal of the other two.)

We now own one-third of the government.

However, even though twice as much as what we'd owned before, that's still a minority, and the majority rules.

So whatever happens is still the fault of the party that owns the majority of the government.  The Democrats own it; they ain't getting off the hook.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
  So whatever happens is still the fault of the party that owns the majority of the government.  The Democrats own it; they ain't getting off the hook. 

But ONLY if the republicans continually point this out.

I know the dems own 90% of the media but still, republicans need to get in front of cameras as often as possible to get THEIR story across.

Whenever something negative came out about Bill Clinton, at least two dozen dems were out there defending him.  :censored:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
Missouri had a state rep defect to the Rs today.   :popcorn:

The Rs already had a veto-proof majority against our idiot governor, so this is just padding. 

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
Missouri had a state rep defect to the Rs today.   :popcorn:

The Rs already had a veto-proof majority against our idiot governor, so this is just padding.

Pretty good for a "dead regional party", ain't it BH?   :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
Pretty good for a "dead regional party", ain't it BH?   :cheersmate:

Yeah.  Looks like we're not a member of that coastal regional party, eh?   :-)

Hey, I just noticed she's a looker, too.  We can't have any of those in the D-rat party.  It's a good thing she switched.