Author Topic: 18 Democratic senators revolt against Harry Reid on Obamacare tax  (Read 601 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
18 Democratic senators revolt against Harry Reid on Obamacare tax

Eighteen Democratic U.S. Senators and senators-elect sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid last week calling for a “delay in the implementation” of the medical device tax in Obamacare, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The provision was an integral part of the version of the Obamacare law, which was passed in the Senate under Reid’s stewardship in 2009. It is set to take effect on January 1, 2013.

The provision’s 2.3 percent excise tax on medical device manufacturers has sparked panic within the medical devices industry. Indiana-based Zimmer Holdings, which manufactures hip replacement implants, laid off 450 workers in anticipation of $60 million in taxes in 2013. Michigan-based Stryker Corp., which also produces hip implants, laid off 5 percent of its workers in a bid to compensate for the $100 million it will pay in taxes next year.
Daily Caller

I'd like someone to explain to me how taxing medical devices lowers the cost and availability of health care to patients.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

Re: 18 Democratic senators revolt against Harry Reid on Obamacare tax
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Daily Caller

I'd like someone to explain to me how taxing medical devices lowers the cost and availability of health care to patients.

Even Jimmy Stewart couldn't explain it Chris. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Er69b4HMl8[/youtube]

But I bet he could do better than the current administration.   :-)
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
**** those senators, they voted for it they can deal with the fallout of what they voted for.

Daily Caller

I'd like to hear that explained too.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »
It was one of the sources of revenue that went into the BS accounting that claimed the law was paid for (On top of the total BS basis of said accounting, which was that it strictly ended at the ten year mark, at which time there would be ten years worth of revenue but only six years worth of expenditures).  I believe the thieving tools who passed it simply figured the medical device industry had 2.3 percent worth of fat they could plunder.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
Daily Caller

If someone can explain that, maybe they could explain how taxing "Cadillac" health insurance plans helps to lower health care costs.

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
What I wouldn't give for a whole lot more congresscreeps who went to business school, rather than law school.