Author Topic: The Stupid President has an audience with the queen and gives her an IPOD????  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Flame

To be honest he gave her rare signed music from Rogers and Hammerstein also, but I that gift would have been better alone.  Forget the Ipod.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Wait, it gets better:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/04/what-does-one-g.html

From the comments at this link:
May 7, 2007: The President and Mrs. Bush welcomed Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, for a State Visit yesterday at the White House.

The principals (i.e., The President & First Lady) conducted a leader to leader gift exchange in the Red Room of the White House immediately after the arrival ceremony. President and Mrs. Bush gave Her Majesty a bronze statuette “High Desert Princess” with a personal inscription on the bottom of the base. It is a replica of the original life size statue that is located in front of the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Ft. Worth, Texas.

President and Mrs. Bush gave The Prince Philip an exclusive sterling silver eagle box by Tiffany & Co. with personal inscription on the inside lid.

President and Mrs. Bush gave Their Majesties a leather presentation box filled with a collection of documents from the National Archives. One of the items was a copy of an original letter from President Roosevelt to her father, King George, written in 1938. There were also photos from previous royal visits and a DVD of the footage from the Queen’s visit to the United States when she was Princess Elizabeth in 1951.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
I'm just glad Obama is not on my Christmas exchange list...his gifts suck.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
May 7, 2007: The President and Mrs. Bush welcomed Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, for a State Visit yesterday at the White House.

The principals (i.e., The President & First Lady) conducted a leader to leader gift exchange in the Red Room of the White House immediately after the arrival ceremony. President and Mrs. Bush gave Her Majesty a bronze statuette “High Desert Princess” with a personal inscription on the bottom of the base. It is a replica of the original life size statue that is located in front of the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Ft. Worth, Texas.

President and Mrs. Bush gave The Prince Philip an exclusive sterling silver eagle box by Tiffany & Co. with personal inscription on the inside lid.

President and Mrs. Bush gave Their Majesties a leather presentation box filled with a collection of documents from the National Archives. One of the items was a copy of an original letter from President Roosevelt to her father, King George, written in 1938. There were also photos from previous royal visits and a DVD of the footage from the Queen’s visit to the United States when she was Princess Elizabeth in 1951.

Gifts like those mentioned above required thought and planning......sometimes that is more important than the actual gift and it's monetary value....I would think the letter would be especially sentimental to the Queen, and something special to go into the National Archives or whatever it's called over there.

While the rare book from Richard Rogers did require some thought....the gift of an iPod to one of the wealthiest women in the world...seems cheap, thoughtless (as requiring no thought or originality), and rather insulting.

Not only that....there has been no mention of a gift to Prince Philip.... :thatsright:...maybe they gave him a box of monogrammed hankerchiefs .....of white cotton.... :uhsure:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
I'm just glad Obama is not on my Christmas exchange list...his gifts suck.
I bet that's why they don't do a "secret Santa" in the White House this year.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^yes, I can't imagine how hard it must be to buy a gift for the Queen! But, there is proper protocol for those sorts of things and world leaders have been seeking an audience with Her Majesty for over half a century. It's not exactly uncharted territory. It didn't need to be better than every gift ever presented from the U.S. President. But it did need to be more than something from Sky Mall. Just my $ .02.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Obamas Give the Queen an iPodBy GREGORY KATZ, AP

The Obama Presidency, World NewsPrintShareText SizeAAALONDON (April 1) –

It's not every day the American president's driver is told to move his bulletproof car.
But Queen Elizabeth II's handlers made the request Wednesday after President Barack Obama's reinforced Cadillac limousine was found to be blocking the garden entrance driveway at Buckingham Palace.

:rotf:  Hey kids, get off my lawn!

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
I bet that's why they don't do a "secret Santa" in the White House this year.

For real, he's like that cheap aunt who gives the snowman sweater or the $2 trinket. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
^yes, I can't imagine how hard it must be to buy a gift for the Queen! But, there is proper protocol for those sorts of things and world leaders have been seeking an audience with Her Majesty for over half a century. It's not exactly uncharted territory. It didn't need to be better than every gift ever presented from the U.S. President. But it did need to be more than something from Sky Mall. Just my $ .02.

The PM gave him a pen set carved from the timbers of the anti-slaver ship HMS Gannet...THAT'S class and forthought.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

Obamas Give the Queen an iPodBy GREGORY KATZ, AP

The Obama Presidency, World NewsPrintShareText SizeAAALONDON (April 1) –

It's not every day the American president's driver is told to move his bulletproof car.
But Queen Elizabeth II's handlers made the request Wednesday after President Barack Obama's reinforced Cadillac limousine was found to be blocking the garden entrance driveway at Buckingham Palace.

:rotf:  Hey kids, get off my lawn!

Just more thoughtlessness on display.  No wonder the Obama children don't get Christmas or birthday gifts.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
He wanted to get the Queen a Chia Pet and a Clapper, but they didn't make it through customs.

:lmao:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He wanted to get the Queen a Chia Pet and a Clapper, but they didn't make it through customs.

:lmao:
He should have got her that singing bass programmed with Obama's 2004 speech to the Democrat convention, selections from The Audacity of Thieves, and selections from his recent media tirade.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
He should have got her that singing bass programmed with Obama's 2004 speech to the Democrat convention, selections from The Audacity of Thieves, and selections from his recent media tirade.

Big Mouth Billy Bass! My BIL used to have that thing hanging over the toilet in his bathroom. Every time I went in there, the stupid thing would sing while I was on the throne.

When my sister moved in, she made him take it down.  :-)

I suppose if it was reprogrammed to recite Obama's speeches, sitting on the toilet would be the best place to be, since he's full of shit and all.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
It just keeps getting better....

Meredith Viera just interviewed Mr "way with words" Gibbs regarding the G20 and surrounding events and asked him why was an iPod given to the Queen (she said it would not have been something that came to mind when giving the Queen of England a gift)...

His response: "I'm not sure how it came about but was specially engraved for her and included show tunes and pictures of her last visit to the United States."

His next comment: "The President said he was impressed with her 'sensibility' [huh?]....that she reminded him of his grandmother only with a bigger house."  and then he chuckled.

And the class just keeps oozing out of Obama's pores.....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Schadenfreude

It just keeps getting better....

Meredith Viera just interviewed Mr "way with words" Gibbs regarding the G20 and surrounding events and asked him why was an iPod given to the Queen (she said it would not have been something that came to mind when giving the Queen of England a gift)...

His response: "I'm not sure how it came about but was specially engraved for her and included show tunes and pictures of her last visit to the United States."

His next comment: "The President said he was impressed with her 'sensibility' [huh?]....that she reminded him of his grandmother only with a bigger house."  and then he chuckled.

And the class just keeps oozing out of Obama's pores.....

the Queen Mum reminds him of his cracka granny? But of course, they are typical white people!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

Big Mouth Billy Bass! My BIL used to have that thing hanging over the toilet in his bathroom. Every time I went in there, the stupid thing would sing while I was on the throne.

When my sister moved in, she made him take it down.  :-)

I suppose if it was reprogrammed to recite Obama's speeches, sitting on the toilet would be the best place to be, since he's full of shit and all.

:lmao: at you and Duke....
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

• Global Moderator
the Queen Mum reminds him of his cracka granny? But of course, they are typical white people!
Good catch, my dear.

I always admired your big, big--brains.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
shut up cracka!!! :rofl:

• Global Moderator
According to a person close to the situation, Obama hasn't yet appointed a chief of protocol and his staffers, still unpacking, didn't realize that the State Department has an entire office dedicated to foreign visits.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/191421

How could he not know and why didn't someone with WH and foreign experience *cough*Hillary*cough* clue him in?

Offline Lord Undies

How could he not know and why didn't someone with WH and foreign experience *cough*Hillary*cough* clue him in?

A better question is why does someone like me, sitting in the boonies of Texas with a correspondence course education know this, but the great and all-knowing Ivy-leaguer Barrack Obama does not? 

Offline thundley4

Hillary is too busy making her own foreign gaffes. http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,26765.0.html

• Global Moderator
A better question is why does someone like me, sitting in the boonies of Texas with a correspondence course education know this, but the great and all-knowing Ivy-leaguer Barrack Obama does not? 

We all do...under-educated proles that we are. I believed the question most asked during the Brown visit was, "Why didn't the protocol people handle this?" Even some very apolitical types I know were well aware that the gov't had such functionaries.

However, I would not put it past Obama to have actually known about the OoP but instead relying on his own sense of awesomeness to choose the gifts himself or delegate to his equally awesome Klingon wife. The people staffing the protocol office are careerists, not appointees, giving light to what I consider to be a lie about L'il 'O's ignorance. He doesn't have to staff the office, the people are permanently in place because foreign customs don't change just because we have a new president. When it became apparent he was a dolt the staffers scrambled for an excuse of "he's just been so busy" which is really an inference to, "Look at the mess we were left by our predecessor."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The gift of the iPod from the president to the Queen of England is simply too intimate and informal. That's like me giving my boss, who is a single guy, a pack of condoms as a stocking stuffer and a can of spermicide.

This is where Obama has showed his idiocy - by allowing his wife (who really wears the pants in the family) to call the shots.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Maybe next time they can give out a presentation basket full of those little jars of jelly and syrup that are left over when you are done with rooom service.

Everybody likes jelly.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Maybe there will be a sudden burst in mail volume at the White House as people all over the world send etiquette books written by Emily Post to the Obamas.

It's easy reading....my mother made me read it when I was about 10 years old.....