Author Topic: US Could Have Prevented ISIS Rise  (Read 2542 times)

Offline libertybele

US Could Have Prevented ISIS Rise
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:58:04 AM »
Barry had another agenda in withdrawing troops from the Middle East; re-election and the rise of ISIS.  He accomplished both.  The comments by Odierno are chilling and obviously the US is very vulnerable under this president.  The recent shootings in TN is just the beginning I'm afraid of the rise of ISIS inside the US.

Army chief Odierno, in exit interview, says US could have ‘prevented’ ISIS rise

EXCLUSIVE: The Army’s top officer told Fox News Tuesday it’s “frustrating” to watch the gains he helped achieve in Iraq disintegrate at the hands of the Islamic State, saying in an exit interview that the chaos now unfolding “might have been prevented” had the U.S. stayed more engaged.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno, weeks away from retirement after 39 years in uniform, spent more time in Iraq than any other U.S. Army general -- more than four years, the last two as top commander. He is widely viewed as a key architect of the Iraq surge.

In an exclusive interview with Fox News, the general tackled a range of topics, from the Iran nuclear deal to the deep cuts to U.S. Army troop levels. But Odierno had pointed words on the rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria – suggesting it didn’t have to be this way.

“It's frustrating to watch it,” Odierno said. “I go back to the work we did in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and we got it to a place that was really good. Violence was low, the economy was growing, politics looked like it was heading in the right direction.”

Odierno said the fall of large parts of Iraq was not inevitable, reiterating concerns about the pace of the U.S. troop withdrawal there.

“If we had stayed a little more engaged, I think maybe it might have been prevented,” he said. “I've always believed the United States played the role of honest broker between all the groups and when we pulled ourselves out, we lost that role.”

In 2009, while still the top commander in Iraq, Odierno recommended keeping 30,000-35,000 U.S. troops after the end of 2011, when the U.S. was scheduled to pull out. The recommendation was not followed.

“I think it would have been good for us to stay,” Odierno said, when asked if it was a mistake to pull out.

Further, when ISIS took over large portions of Iraq last year including its second-largest city, Mosul, the White House apparently didn’t reach out to the Army officer who had spent more time commanding U.S. forces than anyone else.

“All my work was given to [Joint Chiefs] Chairman [Martin] Dempsey,” Odiernio said. “I never talked directly to the president about it at that time, but I talked to the secretary of defense and I'm sure he relayed all of my thoughts,” he added.

Odierno, though, is most worried about the deep cuts to the Army over the past four years – from 570,000 troops in 2010 to near 490,000 today, a reduction of 14 percent. And the cuts are getting deeper.  ...

“In my mind, we don't have the ability to deter. The reason we have a military is to deter conflict and prevent wars. And if people believe we are not big enough to respond, they miscalculate,” Odierno said....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/exclusive-army-chief-odierno-in-exit-interview-says-us-could-have-prevented/
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Re: US Could Have Prevented ISIS Rise
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:47:05 AM »
It always amazes me how all of this stuff gets said on the way out...when their retirement is secure...instead of when they could have actually done something about it.  :banghead:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
It always amazes me how all of this stuff gets said on the way out...when their retirement is secure...instead of when they could have actually done something about it.  :banghead:

Funny how that works, When they don't have to WORRY about being fired anymore, they come out and say these things. Good grief, what spineless @#%!holes..
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
Funny how that works, When they don't have to WORRY about being fired anymore, they come out and say these things. Good grief, what spineless @#%!holes..

'zackly. Odious Odierno. A bald ***** in disguise.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
Just remember what happened to General Petraeus. He criticized Obama for announcing a timetable for withdrawing troops. He was investigated and convicted for doing much less than what Hillary did with her own email server.

Obama seeks and usually gets revenge on those that speak out against him.

Offline RayRaytheSBS

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »
Just remember what happened to General Petraeus. He criticized Obama for announcing a timetable for withdrawing troops. He was investigated and convicted for doing much less than what Hillary did with her own email server.

Obama seeks and usually gets revenge on those that speak out against him.

It's the Chicago way. He DEFINITELY has his ways of removing people who tick him off.
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
It's the Chicago way. He DEFINITELY has his ways of removing people who tick him off.

We're getting a textbook example with Hillary . . . ! :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
We're getting a textbook example with Hillary . . . ! :whistling:

Obama just ruins their reputations and prosecutes when he can. Hillary, well there is a suspicious trail of dead bodies following the Clinton's all the way from Arkansas.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »

Do these people have a secure pension if they get fired? Because I wouldn't put it past 0bama to fire someone before it was guaranteed. And there's hardly any point. This regime is too vicious and would find a way to silence him and ruin his credibility, just like they did with Patraeus. No one even remembers what he was trying to bring to light.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
Do these people have a secure pension if they get fired? Because I wouldn't put it past 0bama to fire someone before it was guaranteed. And there's hardly any point. This regime is too vicious and would find a way to silence him and ruin his credibility, just like they did with Patraeus. No one even remembers what he was trying to bring to light.

Cindie

Obama, who promised to have the most open and transparent administration ever, has prosecuted more whistle-blowers for "leaks" than any other president.

Offline RayRaytheSBS

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »
Obama, who promised to have the most open and transparent administration ever, has prosecuted more whistle-blowers for "leaks" than any other president.

Except of course, for things that SHOULDN'T be leaked, ike operational details on the bin ladin raid, for example.  He could have just said "He's dead Jim" and that would have been it. but nooooo, he had to blab his mouth on how we do business, and may have gotten good people killed in the process. All for political gain...