Author Topic: Amateur captures astonishing images of Milky Way from garden shed  (Read 3795 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
An amateur star-gazer has stunned astronomers around the world with these amazing photographs of the universe - taken from his garden shed.
Peter Shah, 38, cut a hole in the roof of his wooden shed and set up his modest eight-inch telescope inside.
After months of patiently waiting for the right moment, he captured a series of striking images of the Milky Way from the comfort of his own back garden. ...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1244686/Amateur-star-gazer-captures-astonishing-images-Milky-Way-hole-roof-garden-shed.html#ixzz0dER4uluD

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Re: Amateur captures astonishing images of Milky Way from garden shed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
The telescope Mr. Shah used is not what I would call modest but that doesn't decrease my amazement at what he was able to do with it.

Thanks for the article.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
How cool, and how awesome!  Thanks for sharing.

This comment had me giggling...

Oh what a proud wife i am!!!!! and no your not getting a bigger telescope.
- LISA SHAH, POWYS, 21/1/2010 14:12
Click to rate     Rating   27 Report abuse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1244686/Amateur-star-gazer-captures-astonishing-images-Milky-Way-hole-roof-garden-shed.html#ixzz0dH6vYbr4
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
I'm a bit suspicious. They did point out that he's spent 20K (english pounds) on the system for the scope, which is "modest" (it is, size wise). They only thing I can think of is he's got a VERY good CCD in the scope and a extraordinary mount/tracking system. Otherwise those pics are far, far too good.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
Ditto Mr.Wine, an obviously amazing, and expensive tracking system.

But I don't think this pommie can be considered an amateur any longer. Getting paid for the photos pretty much makes him a professional now.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
Try www.cloudynights.com

Some of the guys in the forum are pretty good with that stuff.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
Ah, what do we need telescopes for, we have a map that may someday be compaired to the Piraeus's Map   Spelling ?   this is the map that shows the new world 300 years before it was formally found.

Interesting map, it took 12 years before the photo of the map was accidentally reversed and science was looking backward to earth not earth outwood.

Russia excepts the fact that this map is real, I have no idea how many country's also except it.

I have a to scale, a painting I did in the 1970's of this map, it is 3 feet x 4 feet.

Carted this dam thing all over the country and today resides in my family room.   Why.?

Some day someone will walk into my home and say " That's the HILL map."