Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 131210 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #575 on: December 14, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »
Childhood's End  Great buildup, disappointing finish.

Stranger In A Strange Land  Too weird.  Haven't quite finished it yet.  Heinlein, like Clarke, falls apart when he tries to write interpersonal relationships and dialogue instead of straight prose.

The Idea Factory.  An excellent history of AT&T, Western Electric, and Bell Labs.

Anatomy Of A Dictatorship: Inside The GDR, 1949-1989.  Just picked it up.  I made it through the first chapter, and this is an excellent book so far.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
I am almost finished with my first taste of steampunk sci-fi. It's different, that's for sure. I'm not quite sold on it yet.

The Court of The Air by Stephen Hunt

After I finish this one, I'll give it another shot. Does anyone have any recommendations?
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #577 on: December 22, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Stranger In A Strange Land  Too weird.  Haven't quite finished it yet.  Heinlein, like Clarke, falls apart when he tries to write interpersonal relationships and dialogue instead of straight prose.

How far along are you?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #578 on: December 23, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »
How far along are you?
About the place where they describe the "Nest" as a 70s swingers party.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #579 on: December 23, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
As A Man Thinketh...-James Allen-

Short but concentrated.
An excellent book I would highly recommend.

Currently reading...
Acres Of Diamonds... -Russel Conwell-

edit: add
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:12:11 AM by obumazombie »
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #580 on: January 02, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tim Bissell chronicles the making of Tommy Wiseau's The Room and Greg Sestero's friendship with Tommy Wiseau.

One of the funniest books I have read since John Dies at the End.

Do not miss it. James Franco and Seth Rogan are about to destroy the book with a yet-another-frat-boy adaptation, so read it before then.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline dmf777

• Probationary (Probie)
  • “Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.”
« Reply #581 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »
1984 by George Orwell.
"Without education,your children can never really meet the challenges they will face. So it's very important to give children education and explain that they should play a role for their country."-Nelson Mandela

"There is nothing I fear more than waking up without a program that will help me bring a little happiness to those with no resources, those who are poor, illiterate, and ridden with terminal disease."-Nelson Mandela

"What I'm saying to you this morning is communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social. And the kingdom of brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of communism nor the antithesis of capitalism, but in a higher synthesis."-MLK JR

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #582 on: May 26, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »
Working my way through the multi-volume biography of Sir Winston Churchill by Randolph Churchill and Martin Gilbert.  Up to Volume 4.

Up next (I think) the Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove (if nothing else attracts my attention meanwhile).
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline dixierose

« Reply #583 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »
Working my way through the multi-volume biography of Sir Winston Churchill by Randolph Churchill and Martin Gilbert.  Up to Volume 4.

Up next (I think) the Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove (if nothing else attracts my attention meanwhile).

I tried reading one of Turtledove's books; and I never finished it. One of the very few books I've never finished in my life. It just did not hold my interest at all. I can't remember the title; but it was about Atlantis.

I'm reading another alternative history book now: "Clash of Eagles". It's actually pretty good. The Roman Empire has never fallen and a legion are trying to find a city of gold in the New World. It's written by Alan Smale.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline 3rd-try

« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2021, 12:51:47 AM »
Koontz. like above the Odd Thomas series is great. A fair amount of weird, humor, morality, all twisted together. Koontz also has continuing cast and themes in "Fear Nothing" and "Seize the Night". Like Odd, you'll feel acquainted with the characters. And you'll  find yourself dreading the approaching end of the book.  Slightly darker, the "Frankenstein " books. by him are great.
I like Koontz because his stuff is just outside of reality. I get enough reality by just showing up.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #585 on: March 21, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
Babylon Berlin, book 1.

Pre-War Berlin, 1929.
Part crime drama, part historical fiction.
All good.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #586 on: March 21, 2021, 02:22:35 AM »
Thrawn: Treason - the second book in the latest trilogy by Timothy Zahn set during the Galactic Civil war prior to the Battle of Scariff and Yavin.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #587 on: March 21, 2021, 06:46:10 AM »
Babylon Berlin, book 1.

Pre-War Berlin, 1929.
Part crime drama, part historical fiction.
All good.

That sounds interesting. Will check it out. Berlin, especially during the Weimar Republic, had to have been almost as ****ed up as D.C. is today.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #588 on: March 29, 2021, 03:34:07 AM »
Well, this is a slow-moving thread  :p

It's almost like Cavers don't read books or something  :whistling:

Anyway... Clavell's Asian Saga has been temporarily shelved while I work through the books behind the movie Chaos Walking, for the benefit of some parents of tweens and teens who have Concerns.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2021, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm horrible about reading, all the usual excuses about time, concentration, but I did finally finish C.S. Lewis Out of the Silent Planet.  Right before that was God Loves You by Dr. David Jeremiah.

Silent Planet is a trip, well worth the read, and upon finally sitting down with it, part of a trilogy which I will have to seek out the other two books of.

God Loves You is a very uplifting book and much needed when I was working on it, early in the school year as we were opening up. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.