Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 16851 times)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
Are you high? That book was nothing but bait and switch! It should have been called: Using the Name Alex Cross to sell a book by a minor, unknown author who rented Patterson's name and several characters.
I don't hold it against Patterson, I wish I could rent my name out.
Anyone who wants to rent my name should email me to discuss terms and rates

Yeah, but it was a good book! :p
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 11:23:31 PM »
I just started "Three Roads to the Alamo-the Lives and Fortunes of David Crockett, James Bowie and William Barret Travis " by William C. Davis. 

Very interesting!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
I'm reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" for the second time by William Shirer as well as "1984" for the third time by Orwell. Good books never die.  :cheersmate:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Wayne

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:33 AM »
   I'm half way through The Lost Symbol By Dan Brown.  Much better read than The Da Vinci Code.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »
   I'm half way through The Lost Symbol By Dan Brown.  Much better read than The Da Vinci Code.

I watched the 2 hour show about "The Lost Symbol" last night on the History Channel. It amazes me that so many people get bent out of shape about his books. 

Offline Wayne

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
I watched the 2 hour show about "The Lost Symbol" last night on the History Channel. It amazes me that so many people get bent out of shape about his books. 

That's because its about a super secret anti American Nazi spy group that wears sheets to their meetings.. The masons. Marcia and Perry. :-)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
I raced to the book shelf to see if I still had Steven Kings book ( that became a movie) about the plane flight where everyone fell asleep and ended up at a deserted airport.

I can't find it, but that was the first thing I thought about when the news of the pilots from North West ended up where they weren't suppose to be. It would have been poetic justice had Steven King been a passenger.

In honor of Halloween I am reading Richard Laymon's  The Midnight Tour.   Silly piece of fiction.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

I tried to watch it last night, but I guess I have had my fill of secret symbols, everything is a code, nothing means what it says shows.  Couldn't stay focused, and ended up watching some nature show about that Kandahari Desert.  Lions and elephants and hippos oh my!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
Almost done with Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War. Good overview of the political and military developments that led to Jackie Fisher's HMS Dreadnought and the subsequent battleship arms race.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline thundley4

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
I tried to watch it last night, but I guess I have had my fill of secret symbols, everything is a code, nothing means what it says shows.  Couldn't stay focused, and ended up watching some nature show about that Kandahari Desert.  Lions and elephants and hippos oh my!

It did get boring at times, which is why I was also online. It's nice to be able to check out things they mention.  They talked about how George Washington was almost looked upon as a deity.

The mural at the top of the capitol rotunda showing Washington surrounded by other deities.
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/collections/nc/Apotheosis_of_George_Washington.jpg

A statue of Washington in an Olympian pose.
http://www.onejourneyatatime.com/site/images/09us35033.jpg

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
Just started Under the Black Flag (the Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates) by David Cordingly.

Only 50 pages in but it's been a great read so far. Really fascinating and well told history.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
Just finished 'An Army at Dawn' by Rick Atknison
Now reading 'Arguing with Idiots' by Glennn Beck
Next Atkinson's sequel 'The Day of Battle' --- both his books are US in WWII North Africa, then Sicily/Italy
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
Just started Intervention by Terri Blackstock last night.  She is one of my favorite Christian authors.  I will probably finish it tonight because it isn't a very big book.  Tomorrow is library day.  WHOOO HOOO!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
The library seems to have lost a book I turned in about three months ago.  Seventy five dollars.  So, no reading material for me until they find it.  I'm not paying for some library employee's mistake. :censored:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »
The library seems to have lost a book I turned in about three months ago.  Seventy five dollars.  So, no reading material for me until they find it.  I'm not paying for some library employee's mistake. :censored:

A cop told my B-I-L today that he had a warrant out from the county but didn't arrest him. The warrant was "paid up" like 4 years ago but apparently he had to go to the county courthouse and get a receipt and give it to the locals.

Don't the cities and counties have these newfangled computers? Its not like we're backward like the NYC cops buying a million worth of typewriters.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »
My brother wound up in a similar situation.  Davidson County had "lost" their record of him paying some fine or another and demanded that he pay them a second time.

They have three metall drop-boxes outside the building... I put the book in one of them after the library was closed.  They cut you off after your late fees exceed $25.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
The MidwayUSA ad for Nov.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 04:24:30 AM »
My brother wound up in a similar situation.  Davidson County had "lost" their record of him paying some fine or another and demanded that he pay them a second time.

They have three metall drop-boxes outside the building... I put the book in one of them after the library was closed.  They cut you off after your late fees exceed $25.

That happened to quite a few people that used the drop off slot at this one small video store in town.  It was a scam and word got around very fast.

Go into the Library, check to see if your book is back on the shelves. find it, take it to the desk and tell them, with a smile that they had your book all the time, you understand how these things happen and REQUEST, don't demand, that all fines be dropped.  It would not hurt to have a stranger see you find the book and accompany you to the desk.

Keep in mind there may have been a double check out also.  All too often when the staff comes in to work they gather the returned books, place them on a rack to be gone through at a later hour.  People coming in early morning may examine the returns and find one they like, walk in and check it out before the staff has time to credit you with the return. 

You can request a history of dates and times the book was checked out and returned, and find the problem with an overlap in its history.

Well worth your time and effort when it comes to that much money.

With problems such as yours if you work with them they will be overjoyed to help you and themselves find the book if possible.

Please let us know how this turns out.     Regards Vesta