Author Topic: Skin cancer  (Read 18360 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Skin cancer
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »
I can't believe I am showing you guys this. It is dark because my phone doesn't have a flash.  Me this morning without makeup in my grungy sweatshirt I sleep in at night.  It looks worse in real life but I wanted to show you all kind of what it looks like.  I just washed my face and put on sunscreen so my face is shiney.

Me with makeup. It's getting to the point where it's looking worse with makeup.  I may have to stop wearing it for a couple of weeks.  I look like my husband punched me in the eyes.   

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
Yikes.  You don't look well. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:25 PM »
Yikes.  You don't look well. :(

Now you made me more self conscious.  I was supposed to go to the grocery store today, now i cant because im so vein.  Thanks Chris.  :p

Offline Chris_

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Sorry, but the change is scary (not Halloween scary, more like get to a doctor scary). 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Sorry, but the change is scary (not Halloween scary, more like get to a doctor scary). 

It is suppose to do that. Everywhere where it's red is sun damaged skin. The carac cream attacks cells that are not normal. My reaction is actually very mild compared to others I've seen online.

Here is a guy who only treated his forehead. It could be a lot worse for me.

After he was finished and healed his skin looked great.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »
I guess I didn't understand the first part of the thread.  What is the Carac for?

I have rosacea and my face scabs up around the mouth and nose on top of the redness, so my skin doesn't look much better than yours.  It's embarrassing.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
I guess I didn't understand the first part of the thread.  What is the Carac for?

I have rosacea and my face scabs up around the mouth and nose on top of the redness, so my skin doesn't look much better than yours.  It's embarrassing.

It's a topical chemotherapy cream that attacks bad cells, it leaves good cells alone. I am suprized that I don't have more damage than I have.

Here is another picture of someone who used it. Her reaction isn't as bad as I've seen but it is a lot worse than mine.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
There are treatments for rosacea Chris, what have you tried for it so far?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
I tried a few OTC ointments.  2% hydrocortizone seems to work most of the time, sometimes not.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
I tried a few OTC ointments.  2% hydrocortizone seems to work most of the time, sometimes not.

Chris, careful with the hydrocortizone ... I found out the hard way, using it a lot will thin the skin.  The doc gave me a tinted ointment .. similar consistancy of calamine lotion that worked well.  I stay away from anything on my face with any type of fragrance and limit the SPF.  For some reason, SPF seems to aggravate my rosacea.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »

Go to a dermatologist, there are quite a few options out there.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »
Chris, careful with the hydrocortizone ... I found out the hard way, using it a lot will thin the skin.
ew.  I don't use it every day, maybe once a week.  Sometimes it helps, sometimes not which is why I don't use it regularly.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 05:28:02 AM »
OMG, the itch. My face woke me up at 2 am and I can't go back to sleep. This is more miserable than I thought, I thought I was going to have a mild reaction and just sail on with out much in the way of discomfort.  If any of you decide to try this on your face, make sure you give yourself long enough to heal.  I should have waited to start this because my in-laws are visiting and my face is a friggen mess. I don't want to go out in public right now. I should have started it a week later. A week ago my reaction was barely starting to show up. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »
Hang in there!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »

Chris...I second or third the "careful with the hydrocortizone". I was using prescription on on my face because I was told I had mild rosacea too. My skin not only became pretty "fragile", but the so-called rosacea wasn't clearing up.

I went to a different dermatologist and found out it wasn't rosacea but contact dermatitis.

I would itch when I showed houses, I would itch when I read the newspaper, I was a disaster if I walked through a spider web!! Turns out, the lock boxes on houses have mold and other crap from bugs on them....I have mold allergies. Duh! I would open a lock box, not think about it and touch my face. Spots a few hours or less later.

The local paper had switched to using recycled paper for the newsprint. Whatever they treated it with, I was reacting to it. I would read the paper, itch and rub or scratch at my face. Looked like I had the measles after reading it - particularly the Sunday paper. I just wanted to claw my face off! I tend to read the paper online now, rather than physically pick it up to read.

Spider webs - I hate those things!!! I just make sure I wash my face as soon as possible if I go through one.

The new derm I went to gave me a Rx for Elidel. Stuff's expensive, but if I can get it on fairly quickly, I either don't break out, or I clear up over night. It's worth every penny as far as I'm concerned and only a small amount is needed when applied. I carry liquid hand cleanser in the car and also the antiseptic wipes - I usually use the ones for babies for diaper clean-up. I'm very careful to not touch my face after I've been in a house - particularly the nasty ones - until I can get back to the car and use the cleanser and the wipes. My skin just reacts to stuff, and it's gotten more sensitive to stuff as I've gotten older. The derm told me that "rosacea" is more often just an easy diagnosis, rather than taking the time to figure out what triggers the reaction, then treating it accordingly.

The way you work on cars all the time and touch all that stuff, it might have something to do with the breakouts, particularly if they are worse after you work on the car. Try keeping track of when it's the worst and what you were doing prior to breakouts.   :heart:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »
OMG, the itch. My face woke me up at 2 am and I can't go back to sleep. This is more miserable than I thought, I thought I was going to have a mild reaction and just sail on with out much in the way of discomfort.  If any of you decide to try this on your face, make sure you give yourself long enough to heal.  I should have waited to start this because my in-laws are visiting and my face is a friggen mess. I don't want to go out in public right now. I should have started it a week later. A week ago my reaction was barely starting to show up. 

Halloween is only a week away. 

:bolt:

I hope it gets better before it gets much worse.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
I look like crap and my face burns/itches....that it all.

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Gotta be careful. I've spent years in Florida and finally figured out that it's a good idea to wear LOTS of sunblock, as well as shades and a hat to protect the eyes, especially when outside, or driving, or fishing. Glare of the sun off the water is murder!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
Gotta be careful. I've spent years in Florida and finally figured out that it's a good idea to wear LOTS of sunblock, as well as shades and a hat to protect the eyes, especially when outside, or driving, or fishing. Glare of the sun off the water is murder!

I got to talking to my mom about why my great grand mother and both grand mothers has such beautiful skin.

Interesting that in the 1870 time my  great grandma was born in 1867, woman and girls wore hats veils, gloves long skirts outside.

By the 1890's the veils were mostly gone but the hats and gloves remained.

To be extremely politically incorrect, this was for the City woman and servants that set them apart from the farming family's that toiled all day in the sun.

I remember my grandmas telling me to never use soap on my face, cold cream wiped off was best. Unsalted butter was a good substitute as was any kind of animal fat unsalted and rinsed off with raw milk.  Doesn't lanolin come from sheep fat.??

One of the few ways anyone could tell their age, my grandmothers, was by looking at their hands.  They discarded the gloves in the late 1940's and by the 1990's their faces looked about 60 but their hands showed they were over 90 years old.

Nothing new to see here guys, civilisations in the below the equator have all ways as far as we know painted their faces to reduce sunburn.  Civilisations above the equator also knew about the sun and found a way to cover themselves from the effects.

What is the saying---Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun.???

An old fable says a person of color does not sunburn.  Horse crap, some of the worse burns I have ever seen were to children of color that did not realise they were being burned until they had to go to the burn ward at the hospital.

The new generation believes that climate change and depleted ozone layers cause skin cancer, a new human made problem from industrialized country's.

This is NOT so, mankind has been worshiping the sun and protecting themselves from it since time began.

I knew this old fart of a man with a cynical view point that once asked me why the worse woman for being prejudice against those of color would spend half a year on a beach to try to get a tan darker then those they felt inferior to themselves.

Makes me wonder about the huge sums of money the Kennedy sisters  spent on their looks.  All the European spas, ointments and elixirs did not do one thing for them as they seldom wore a hat while out side sailing or riding.

By the time the sun had done its damage, their husbands were either gone, dead, divorced them, so why bother to worry, they seemed to think that Big money would save them from a life looking like a Mummy due to their own stupidity.

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:38 AM »
Long skirts, hats, and veils? Long gone, those days when virtue (gasp!) and modesty (GASP!) were the rule rather than the exception. This is one reason, as an old school Roman Catholic, I attend Latin Mass. Men AND women dress reverently and respectfully.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »
I can remember my mother using Lady Esther face cream on her face. It was this white goopy stuff! I can not imagine putting that gunk on my face! Yet, she was a sun worshiper from the time it was warm enough to be out in the sun in the spring until the end of summer, yet she had beautiful skin when she died a month before turning 46. Though she had dark hair as an adult, she was blonde as a child, had green eyes and was fair skinned.

My dad was the same way about being out in the sun, and he really didn't have many wrinkles when he was in his 70's and had smoked since his young teens. He was blonde, blue eyed, and fair also.

Runnin' Buddy's husband has always been a sun worshiper, is part Cherokee Indian, dark hair, and olive skinned, yet had a melanoma removed from the back of his knee last November.

Though it is a proven fact that sun will damage anyone's skin, sun damage does not necessarily become skin cancer.

I think some people are just prone to skin cancers, or any type of cancer for that matter, and some aren't. Though there are some "predictors", there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic, just a lot of randomness.   
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
I can remember my mother using Lady Esther face cream on her face. It was this white goopy stuff! I can not imagine putting that gunk on my face! Yet, she was a sun worshiper from the time it was warm enough to be out in the sun in the spring until the end of summer, yet she had beautiful skin when she died a month before turning 46. Though she had dark hair as an adult, she was blonde as a child, had green eyes and was fair skinned.

My dad was the same way about being out in the sun, and he really didn't have many wrinkles when he was in his 70's and had smoked since his young teens. He was blonde, blue eyed, and fair also.

Runnin' Buddy's husband has always been a sun worshiper, is part Cherokee Indian, dark hair, and olive skinned, yet had a melanoma removed from the back of his knee last November.

Though it is a proven fact that sun will damage anyone's skin, sun damage does not necessarily become skin cancer.

I think some people are just prone to skin cancers, or any type of cancer for that matter, and some aren't. Though there are some "predictors", there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic, just a lot of randomness.   

The derm told me that only 20% or less of precancerous spots that this carac cream finds and attacks would have turned into cancer. 

By the way, that really small area on my nose I was worried about is finally reacting. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »
Fair skinned people ( Northern European heritage) tend to  burn more easily and get skin cancer more easily.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
Went to the derm today. I was totally embarrassed because my face looks like I have 2nd degree burns so I wore my sunglasses inside the office. She was surprised how much my skin reacted because it looked really good when I saw her the first time. She gave me several tubes of Biafine (a cream they use on burn victims) and some locoid lipocream (.1% hydrocortisone) to help with the redness and itching. The Biafine feels divine. I googled it and people say it's a miracle cream.   

Offline true_blood

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
Very good BEG. I hope the cream works well for you. Good luck. :cheersmate: