Author Topic: Officer intended to use Taser, not gun on black victim fatally shot in MN.  (Read 632 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member sprinkleeninow (12,394 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215328786

AOL News: Officer intended to use Taser, not gun on black victim fatally shot in MN.

This 'latest' really throws me. I got it bad personally, then each and every day more horrendous 'developments' and 'incidents'. "Lord, have mercy!"

https://www.aol.com/news/minnesota-police-shoot-kill-man-014849404-172125498.html

>snipped< BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. (AP) — Police in a Minneapolis suburb where a Black man was fatally shot during a traffic stop say the officer who fired intended to use a Taser, not a handgun.

Police Chief Tim Gannon described the shooting as “an accidental discharge.”

:yawn:

Star Member sprinkleeninow (12,394 posts)

2. Oopsie, I thot I pulled my Taser.

Sounds like back pedaling to an 'excusable' reason for the death of this person.

We shall see.

Star Member MontanaMama (16,897 posts)

3. Even a taser would have been excessive force.

No words.

EX500rider (6,751 posts)

13. That would depend on what his warrant was for

PoliticAverse (22,918 posts)

16. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere which makes me think it was for something minor.

:whatever:

Just Felony weapons charges, Flight to avoid arrest, failure to appear in court, drug charges... you know... the normal...

I have no doubt we'll find out in the past the subject was charged for resisting arrest, assault on police, etc...

and all the charges were dropped by the MN DA...

BGBD (2,364 posts)

30. It's in the article

Court records show Wright was being sought after failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June.

Pretty reasonable to assume he was trying to flee and could be armed since that is exactly what is warrant was for.

Star Member MontanaMama (16,897 posts)

22. I haven't read that there was a warrant.

This appears to be a traffic stop. Do you have a link for information on a warrant?

:thatsright:

Calista241 (4,247 posts)

36. It was a warrant for felony fleeing and gun possession charges.

It was a high risk felony stop on a subject known to be armed and resisting arrest.

Star Member ColinC (2,475 posts)

9. Are we sure the victim was not just "fixing to ride the lightning?"

That statement in the other traffic stop implies police -more often than we think, are engaging in premeditated murder.

This is the DU member formerly known as jorgevlorgan.

OK- So if that LT was my Platoon Leader and he pulled that shit on the police he'd be in some serious shit. You don't argue for with the police, El-Tee... not for any reason, you ****ing knuckle-head.

Star Member ProfessorGAC (47,456 posts)

10. Cops Around Here Wear Gun & Taser...

...on opposite hips. Pepper spray is usually back behind the firearm.
Otherwise one side would get bulky.
Did this cop forget he was right handed?
If he had them all on the same side, he doesn't appear to bright.
On Edit: don't ask me why cops in a town of 6,000 need to have all three weapons strapped to their belt all the time.
Crime around here is usually a broken into car, not riots.

Did you just assume that police persons' gender?

oh, in my little town of 1800 we carry all three- all the time.

Star Member regnaD kciN (24,229 posts)

25. Interesting how many people reflexively assume the officer was male...

Star Member Politicub (11,384 posts)

12. "But I shouted 'taser!' as I shot him."

Is this supposed to make the murder less murdery or something? Or the murderer less culpable?

The takeaway for police will be: if you shoot a POC, yell “Taser!” That will get you out of jail free.

:censored:

Star Member Lettuce Be (1,510 posts)

33. BS. There's no way a gun weighs the same as a taser, nor are the shaped the same

Why are we letting the police get away with all these claims of ignorance, or fright (for themselves) when it is clear they are poorly trained or simply do not care. Sick. Of. It.

people who don't know anything about the subject want to to be in control of everything...

:bird:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Don't run from the pole-eese and you won't get yo ass shot.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

From not committing his first crime - the dude was 20 and already had a long criminal record! - to not resisting arrest and attempting to flee, there were bunches of points where the dead guy could have chosen a path that lead away from getting shot.

As for the officer, his equipment training (what's where) seems to have been problematic, and use of deadly force probably wasn't yet appropriate, but OTOH, he was making decisions in tenths or hundredths of a second in a very dynamic situation. I don't know how those factors would be balanced in court.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
How about armed robbery DUmbasses?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

How about armed robbery DUmbasses?

Since DUmmies don't pay attention to news they don't want to hear and sources thereof (but may be onlurking), I'll add that armed robbery and aggravated assault (the thugling choked the woman he was robbing) were the charges in the arrest warrant that the officers were trying to enforce.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Since DUmmies don't pay attention to news they don't want to hear and sources thereof (but may be onlurking), I'll add that armed robbery and aggravated assault (the thugling choked the woman he was robbing) were the charges in the arrest warrant that the officers were trying to enforce.

That's one of the huge differences between this and some of the other cop shooting cases.  To my knowledge, for example, George Floyd didn't get called in and ID'd as a potential threat, leading to it being questionable if the amount of force used was appropriate.  Since then, his criminal history has come out, but unless I missed where Central ran his name and came back with a history, that history is really irrelevant to the case.  Very relevant to deifying Floyd, but not to the case against the officer.  Here, however, dude gets pulled over for expired tags, tags and license are ran, warrants for weapons and violent behavior comes back, dude tries to run,  force, up to and including deadly is justified, because who knows where he's running to, if he's going for a weapon, and what he may do to others if he gets out of custody. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline ADsOutburst

Yes, I'm sure the officer, in the heat of the moment thought to yell "taser!", just for the camera.

Proving once again that the posters of DU may be some of the dumbest, lowest info participants in our politics.

Offline freedumb2003b

Yes, I'm sure the officer, in the heat of the moment thought to yell "taser!", just for the camera.

Proving once again that the posters of DU may be some of the dumbest, lowest info participants in our politics.

The camera obviously missed where she said to her colleagues "watch this!"
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

The camera obviously missed where she said to her colleagues "Hold my donut!"

I think this is what she actually said.