Author Topic: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan  (Read 11311 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
Broiled Tilapia Parmesan

I made this the other night and everyone LOVED it.  There are over 4,000 reviews of this recipe on allrecipes.com and it received 4.5 stars out of 5.  I followed some suggestions in the reviews by adding old bay seasoning and sprinkling it with bread crumbs before broiling it.  There are also other ideas in the reviews as well if you wand to follow the link and read them. Also it took a little longer to cook than it said in the recipe but my tilapia might have been a little frozen still and I also have two broil settings on my oven, mini broil and high broil or something like that, I used mini broil and that could have made a difference.

What to Drink?

Sauvignon Blanc

Prep Time:
5 Min Cook Time:
10 Min Ready In:
15 Min
Servings  (Help)

USMetricCalculate

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings 
Ingredients

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
2 pounds tilapia fillets

Directions

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.

Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the top

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm on a seafood kick too.  I'll try this post-hospital stay. 

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
Wait ...

People EAT Tilapia ????

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:22:54 PM »
Wait ...

People EAT Tilapia ????

I like of like the non fish taste of tilapia.  It kind of tastes like nothing. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »

My dyslexia...it's a funny thing...I always see "the labia" when I see the word "tilapia".  Then you mention a non-fish taste.............I have to giggle. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
My dyslexia...it's a funny thing...I always see "the labia" when I see the word "tilapia".  Then you mention a non-fish taste.............I have to giggle. 

LOL you made me laugh out loud for real. My daughter kept asking me what I was laughing at.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »

In the part of the country I live in tilapia are a declared pest. You aren't allowed to keep them OR release them if you catch one. They must be killed end buried at least so many feet from the water.

My experience is that they were nasty slimy stinky things - but I suspect that was a function of environment rather than genetics.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
In the part of the country I live in tilapia are a declared pest. You aren't allowed to keep them OR release them if you catch one. They must be killed end buried at least so many feet from the water.

My experience is that they were nasty slimy stinky things - but I suspect that was a function of environment rather than genetics.

Interesting and now you have totally ruined eating tilapia for me ever again. 

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
Interesting and now you have totally ruined eating tilapia for me ever again. 

It's probably good eating - I mean people eat catfish over there from what I hear as well.

I'm somewhat of a seafood snob, living as I do on the coast right near a somewhat substantial coral reef.

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
It's probably good eating - I mean people eat catfish over there from what I hear as well.

I'm somewhat of a seafood snob, living as I do on the coast right near a somewhat substantial coral reef.

Catfish can be really good, if fresh and correctly prepared.

But you really don't want to think about the fish itself and what it eats.... :lmao:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »
Catfish can be really good, if fresh and correctly prepared.

But you really don't want to think about the fish itself and what it eats.... :lmao:

I love shrimp and crayfish - which are the maggots and cockroaches of the ocean.

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
I love shrimp and crayfish - which are the maggots and cockroaches of the ocean.

Same difference...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline kenth

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
There was a show, Dirty Jobs I think it was, that showed a fish farm raising bass. The bass were fed a high quality fish food, but the uneaten remainder and, well, processed food needed to be removed from the water. They used tilapia to clean the tanks. The tilapia would eat the left-over food as well as the bass feces. Once large enough, the tilapia were sold as farm raised food fish.

There were some Ecuadoran tilapia farms that raised them as primary stock and used good quality feed. They were tasty and much better than the unfortunate Chinese tilapia we once made the mistake of buying. I can't buy any farm raised Chinese fish. I've seen the pictures of their water quality. * shudder *

As for catfish, American farm raised catfish is out of this world. They're usually channel catfish, raised on high quality fish feed. The taste is so much better quality than an ol' stinky mud cat that most people seem to equate with catfish.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 05:28:35 AM »
It's pretty near impossible to screw up tilapia. Which leads me to the question: Where the hell did tilapia come from? I never heard of it before a few years ago.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »
It's pretty near impossible to screw up tilapia. Which leads me to the question: Where the hell did tilapia come from? I never heard of it before a few years ago.

Same here. A friend mentioned tilapia a couple of years ago, I was like WTf is that?  Now, it takes up most of the fish area in the grocery stores.

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

I remember years ago...maybe about 10-12....we were in Covington KY across the river from Cincy at a really really nice restaurant and they had tilapia as the fish special for the evening.

I was going to try it cause the way it was prepared sounded really good. The other half, being a fisherperson ever since a child, said he'd never heard of it, and I might not want to do that. So I ordered the salmon.

He asks the server where it came from and she said the Caribbean. He...who never orders fish more than 100 miles from the coast....decides he wants to try it.

About 5 hours later..... :puke: I thought we were never going to get back to TN the next day....he probably should have been in a hospital.

I have never tried tilapia...and he's never ordered fish again except when at the beach....and only orders locally caught fish.

Tilapia seems to be a rather generic name for several different fish....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:26 AM »
I think most of what you see now is farmed.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
There was a show, Dirty Jobs I think it was, that showed a fish farm raising bass. The bass were fed a high quality fish food, but the uneaten remainder and, well, processed food needed to be removed from the water. They used tilapia to clean the tanks. The tilapia would eat the left-over food as well as the bass feces. Once large enough, the tilapia were sold as farm raised food fish.

There were some Ecuadoran tilapia farms that raised them as primary stock and used good quality feed. They were tasty and much better than the unfortunate Chinese tilapia we once made the mistake of buying. I can't buy any farm raised Chinese fish. I've seen the pictures of their water quality. * shudder *

As for catfish, American farm raised catfish is out of this world. They're usually channel catfish, raised on high quality fish feed. The taste is so much better quality than an ol' stinky mud cat that most people seem to equate with catfish.
Hence why they are called "Toilet trout"! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
Hence why they are called "Toilet trout"! :-)

Around here , we call carp sewer trout.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
There has been a rumor for several yrs that a guy down the road from us, raises carp in his cesspool....I can't verify that, because I refuse to go near that area, but it sounds about right ...YUCK!
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
Now that you all ruined tilapia for me, what am I going to do with the other 5 I have in the freezer?

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Cats love fish.... :lmao:
"Liberals are like slinkies.They're really good for nothing, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Offline debk

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »
so do raccoons.... :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
Now that you all ruined tilapia for me, what am I going to do with the other 5 I have in the freezer?

If they tasted good the first time - They'll taste just as good this time.  Chow down !.

Offline SOFTBALL#4GRAMA

• Just Off Probation
  • The Tribe
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
so do raccoons.... :-)

Yep..And if the cats and racoons turn up their noses at it,might want to just bury them somewhere.... :rotf:  :-)