Author Topic: VIDEO: Howard Johnson's Menu Created by Julia Child's French Chef Partner  (Read 292 times)

Offline pjcomix

It's the end of an era. The last Howard Johnson's restaurant has just closed. Among the amazing things I found out while researching the subject of Howard Johnson's is that famous French chef Jaques Pépin was hired by the company to improve their menu.  Pépin was slated to become a chef at the JFK White House but chose to work on the Howard Johnson's menu instead. Later Pépin co-hosted cooking shows on PBS with Julia Child. This video also reveals how  Pépin rendered a CBS reporter speechless.

https://youtu.be/dhhKaCS_0Sc

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I was surprised to find out that there are still a few Bob's Big Boy restaurants open including one in California where the Beatles ate lunch in 1965. The table has a commemorative plaque and can be reserved if you want.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
I was surprised to find out that there are still a few Bob's Big Boy restaurants open including one in California where the Beatles ate lunch in 1965. The table has a commemorative plaque and can be reserved if you want.

Here in FL, they were called Frisch’s Big Boy. In most of the South, it was Shoney’s Big Boy. Last one of those I saw was in Gatlinburg, TN, but there’s a few left.

Not as many Stuckey’s around either.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Here in FL, they were called Frisch’s Big Boy. In most of the South, it was Shoney’s Big Boy. Last one of those I saw was in Gatlinburg, TN, but there’s a few left.

Not as many Stuckey’s around either.

There used to be a Frisch's Big Boy on 301. We'd stop and eat there on the way back from Gainesville. I think it was in Waldo or some little town around that area. I go to Gatlinburg almost every year for vacation and it's been a while since they had a Big Boy.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline landofconfusion80

Frisches big boy is a Cincinnati thing. It's kind of interesting that there's an invisible line that splits shoneys territory from big boy. I think Shepherdsville ky is the only place that has both. Shoneys is based out of Tennessee and will probably be gone in a few years. It's a shame cause they really have pretty good southern food on their buffets. They were always willing to let me park in their bus parking for my reset, it'll be a shame when they're closed
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)