Author Topic: Salsa- Thor Style  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Salsa- Thor Style
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
One large can of Rotel, 4-6 peppers( I use serrano chiles), one medium onion, 1/3rd to 1/2 bunch of cilantro, 2-3 cloves garlic, salt, cumin & lime juice.

process the peppers, onion and garlic in a food processor, add in Rotel, salt, cumin, & lime juice, pulse a couple or three times and finally add in cilantro and pulse a few times again. You can substitute fresh tomatoes for the Rotel, just process them first if you choose. Some chipotle adds a good flavor

I forgot to add, I never measure anything. Salt= approx 1½ tsp, cumin= approx 2 tsp lime juice, approx 1/3 bottle of the squeeze lime.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:20:17 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

Re: Salsa- Thor Style
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »
Sounds good. And easy. I never measure anything either. I know what I like seasoning wise, and I just go by that.

Thanks. I will try this with the peppers we have.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:38 AM »
What a small world it is sometimes.  My husband got this exact same recipe including the Rotel tomatoes! from my best friend's husband while we were visiting them in San Antonio.  That stuff goes fast, particularly when I make guacamole as another dip.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:27:12 AM »
What a small world it is sometimes.  My husband got this exact same recipe including the Rotel tomatoes! from my best friend's husband while we were visiting them in San Antonio.  That stuff goes fast, particularly when I make guacamole as another dip.

LOL, I kind of developed this myself based on some salsa I had out in Southern California. I used to use whole tomatoes, but I didn't like the skins and de-skinning them was a PITA. I tried stewed tomatoes a few times and those work as an acceptable alternative, but Rotel is way better. Good salsa is pretty simple. Many folks don't use the cumin. That's the secret, IMO.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
I'm absolutely no expert, but isn't it more accurate to say that salsa is a cooked (even slightly) sauce?

This in contrast to Pico de Gallo which is the raw tomato-based relish that even I call salsa when I forget?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »
I love the traditional salsa, but I do make this one for something different...

When I was given the recipe, about 30 years ago, it was called "Dump Dip" and I have changed it somewhat, supposed to use fresh cherry tomatoes...

2 cans Petite Diced Tomatoes (drained very well)
3 bunches of chopped green onions -using at least 3-4 inches of the green  (I do this in the food processor)
1 can of chopped green chilies
1 can of chopped black olives

1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbls garlic red wine vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic (can use garlic powder instead)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 salt

mix together, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour for the flavors to meld. serve with salted tortilla chips ( I prefer Tostito Scoops or the Lime Tostitos) If the chips aren't salted, more salt definitely needs to be added to the mix, and I'm not a "salt fiend".

I'm not a "measurer", either, as I'm a "taster" but the measurements are about right to start.

I also double the recipe whenever I make it. IF there is any leftover, it keeps well for at least a couple of days.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
I'm absolutely no expert, but isn't it more accurate to say that salsa is a cooked (even slightly) sauce?

This in contrast to Pico de Gallo which is the raw tomato-based relish that even I call salsa when I forget?

Not really.  What we are discussing here is Salsa Fresca, which can be cooked or uncooked.  Pico de Gallo can also be considered Salsa, but the pieces are chopped, finely instead of blended together.  Other examples of un- cooked salsas would be Chimchurri, any of the fruit, corn, or bean salsas, which are more of a Salsa Cruda.

And now I am hungry. 

Thor, if I have them, instead of rotel, I will use a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, but aside from that, our recipes are very similar.   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
Not really.  What we are discussing here is Salsa Fresca, which can be cooked or uncooked.  Pico de Gallo can also be considered Salsa, but the pieces are chopped, finely instead of blended together.  Other examples of un- cooked salsas would be Chimchurri, any of the fruit, corn, or bean salsas, which are more of a Salsa Cruda.

And now I am hungry.  

Thor, if I have them, instead of rotel, I will use a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, but aside from that, our recipes are very similar.  

Okay, thanks for the 'splanation. Is it your take that salsas are generally more liquid than chunky?

I haven't made any in awhile, but I'd take about a half dozen vine-ripened tomatoes, dice them; add 3-4 cloves of finely minced garlic (gotta be real, and not out of a jar); a medium white (not yellow) onion, chopped; about a half bunch of cilantro, chopped; about a half dozen fresh jalepenos, minced; a couple pinches of kosher salt, and the juice of a lime, along with the zest.

This makes a rather chunky salsa/pico, and I prefer that. When the tomatoes start releasing their juice, I like to pour out some of it so it doesn't get so liquidy.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
A lot of people use plum tomatoes to get the thin puree without the water. I made a bunch of salsa, similar to Thor's, this past summer when my neighbor kept bringing in bushels of fresh tomatoes from his garden on his acreage. I like the serrano as a heat source better over the jalapeno. The heat doesn't attack the tongue whole-hog like the jalapeno.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Eupher, mine turns out like a well blended Pico de Gallo.  Same ingredients, just processed in a food processor vs cut up with a knife.  Mine originally started out more like Pic, but I decided I didn't like the chunks falling off of the chips. Mine's still a little bit chunky, but not to the degree of Pico.  I need to make another batch. A couple of months ago, I made and canned 12 pint jars. (Inga canned them, actually) I only gave away ONE pint (selfish bastard I am!!)

One thing to keep in mind is that IF one use fresh regular tomatoes, they need to be drained after they're chopped/ processed or use Roma tomatoes. Fresh beefsteak type tomatoes have far too much water in them. Romas do not.

OH, I use the serrano chilis, too. Better flavor and they actually have more heat than a "japaleno"

Offline debk

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
A lot of people use plum tomatoes to get the thin puree without the water. I made a bunch of salsa, similar to Thor's, this past summer when my neighbor kept bringing in bushels of fresh tomatoes from his garden on his acreage. I like the serrano as a heat source better over the jalapeno. The heat doesn't attack the tongue whole-hog like the jalapeno.

I like using plum(Romas) tomatoes, just because they are less water-y, in anything that is going to sit or be heated....like the salsa or on a grilled cheese sandwich.

When I make margherita pizza, they do much better than regular tomatoes do, as regular ones release the water in the heat, and make the pizza soggy.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
I like using plum(Romas) tomatoes, just because they are less water-y, in anything that is going to sit or be heated....like the salsa or on a grilled cheese sandwich.

When I make margherita pizza, they do much better than regular tomatoes do, as regular ones release the water in the heat, and make the pizza soggy.

Well, duh....... didn't I JUST say that????  :tongue:   :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
Well, duh....... didn't I JUST say that????  :tongue:   :-)

hah...you just typed it in faster than I did!!  :tongue:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
Next time around I'll try the Romas and the serranos. Good tips from everbuddy. Thanks.  :bow:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »
Next time around I'll try the Romas and the serranos. Good tips from everbuddy. Thanks.  :bow:

Many times, I'll throw in some crushed red chili peppers, too, just for a little extra........ umphh.