Author Topic: How to make gravy- (skillet or pan gravy)  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
How to make gravy- (skillet or pan gravy)
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »
OK, it's really easy. It all depends on what you intend on what you're using the gravy for, but let's say that we're going to make sausage gravy for biscuits.

Fry up sausage. Get a sausage that has some fat to it because that's what we're looking for. (Jimmy Dean doesn't work very well for this) Crumble it as it cooks.

Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.  Put heat about med-med high. Put in 2-3 TBsp of flour. (This all depends on how much fat one has left over)  Stir the flour into the fat and let it cook down for a bit, 3-5 mins. Make sure that all lumps are gone. It should have the consistency of glue. Stir quite a bit, but not necessarily constantly. (This is called a "roux". It can also be made with butter or any other fat) Add in salt and pepper at this time, about a teaspoon of each, unless you're using bacon fat.

Add in milk, slowly, typically about a cup. Let it cook for a while, again, stirring and watching for thickness. (5-10 mins, maybe more ) Add sausage back in once it gets to desired consistency. Pour or ladle over biscuits.

I also do similar with chicken gravy. However, I separate the chicken juice from the fat ( a gravy separator is essential for this unless you want to wait overnight. If you want to wait, put all the juices in a container and refrigerate. Separate fat from juice when congealed. ) I make the roux with the chicken fat & flour. Once the roux is ready, I pour in the reserved chicken stock and maybe add in some milk if the gravy is still too thick at this point. Depending on how you season your chicken, you may want to taste the gravy before you add any salt or pepper. The key is that you want the gravy to be a little on the "thin" side, initially, until it cooks down and  obtains the right consistency.

The cheating way is to make a roux, add in milk or water and chicken or beef base. Add in pepper. Chicken and beef base already have a lot of salt, so be sure to taste before adding in any additional salt.

A note: I cook by taste, texture, look and feel, so I don't really measure anything.

You'll have a few mistakes until you get it right. You may or may not get it right the first time, but that all depends on your cooking skills.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: How to make gravy- (skillet or pan gravy)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
I would say that is a pretty good lesson Thor.  I learned how to make white sauce, and then cheese sauce from my Grandmother, so I could get my Girl Scout Cooking badge.   :-)  Somehow we skipped right over gravy making.   I saw my Mom and Grandmother do it often enough, I figured I could too.  I ended up with sauce, every time.  It took me a good long time to get it right. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Know it well. Mine comes out like garbage, every-single-time.  :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
When I'm making sausage gravy, I don't bother removing the sausage after it's browned off. Just throw in the flour, stir in, cook with the sausage a few minutes, then add milk a little at a time. Slowly heat up, watch it thicken, season to taste.

For other sauces, it really depends how much fat is left in the pan/roasting vessel. If there's not a lot of fat, I'll deglaze on the stovetop with wine or sometimes brandy (brandy gets ignited for a pyro-show). Cream is the great equalizer - it adds texture and consistency to sauces of all types.

A homemade stock is the way to go if you want real, honest-to-God flavor. I'm talking about the type of stock that has you begin roasting bones in the oven at 450 deg. F., then incorporating a mirepoix (complete with onion peels, celery heads, carrot peels, whatever. But not many of us have the time for that.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:16:45 PM »
When I'm making sausage gravy, I don't bother removing the sausage after it's browned off. Just throw in the flour, stir in, cook with the sausage a few minutes, then add milk a little at a time. Slowly heat up, watch it thicken, season to taste.

For other sauces, it really depends how much fat is left in the pan/roasting vessel. If there's not a lot of fat, I'll deglaze on the stovetop with wine or sometimes brandy (brandy gets ignited for a pyro-show). Cream is the great equalizer - it adds texture and consistency to sauces of all types.

A homemade stock is the way to go if you want real, honest-to-God flavor. I'm talking about the type of stock that has you begin roasting bones in the oven at 450 deg. F., then incorporating a mirepoix (complete with onion peels, celery heads, carrot peels, whatever. But not many of us have the time for that.

I KNEW that you'd eventually show up on this thread.....  I've done it with the sausage or beef (for SOS) still in the pan, but that's a little trickier. it's far easier for me to remove the meat and judge the viscosity of the roux, itself.  I was trying to use the KISS method.

And yeah....... home made stock would be the ideal, but, like you said, how many of us have time for all that??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »
Know it well. Mine comes out like garbage, every-single-time.  :thatsright:

Practice makes perfect. Eventually, you'll get it right. You must be missing something for it not to come out well. Define, "garbage".....

BTW, I forgot to mention that I ONLY use whole milk. Lowfat or non-fat just doesn't cut it.

Offline soleil

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »
Practice makes perfect. Eventually, you'll get it right. You must be missing something for it not to come out well. Define, "garbage".....

BTW, I forgot to mention that I ONLY use whole milk. Lowfat or non-fat just doesn't cut it.

You're right. You need the thickness of the whole milk! It was tricky for me at first. I burned it a lot. Even now, my husband makes better gravy than I do. I prefer to use the fat off of bacon, but it is 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. And for those who store their bacon fat, you can use that instead of cooking bacon, but if you store bacon fat, then you already know that!!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:54 AM »

Tastes like the flour it's made from (:p). The color is off and I can't get the consistancy right. I dislike wasting food when I can just grab the mi....... :evillaugh:
No whole milk, it's not allowed in the house. I don't drink milk and the wife and kid hate whole milk. Plus the both of them HATE country gravy. They discribe it as "gross". So I'd be making it for just me.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
I KNEW that you'd eventually show up on this thread.....  I've done it with the sausage or beef (for SOS) still in the pan, but that's a little trickier. it's far easier for me to remove the meat and judge the viscosity of the roux, itself.  I was trying to use the KISS method.

And yeah....... home made stock would be the ideal, but, like you said, how many of us have time for all that??

Well, I do it by the way it looks. I think you said the same thing. The hard part is waiting for the gravy to come up to a gentle simmer after every addition of milk. Sometimes that's a PITA, but it's something that's gotten to be pretty accurate.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »

I do it the same way as you do. Except I sift the flour over the browned sausage...and I use Jimmy Dean turkey sausage (  :tongue: Thor )

And I use 2% milk, because that's what's usually in the refrigerator.

Well, I do it by the way it looks. I think you said the same thing. The hard part is waiting for the gravy to come up to a gentle simmer after every addition of milk. Sometimes that's a PITA, but it's something that's gotten to be pretty accurate.

Tastes like the flour it's made from (:p). The color is off and I can't get the consistancy right. I dislike wasting food when I can just grab the mi....... :evillaugh:
No whole milk, it's not allowed in the house. I don't drink milk and the wife and kid hate whole milk. Plus the both of them HATE country gravy. They discribe it as "gross". So I'd be making it for just me.

If your gravy is tasting like flour, then you haven't cooked it long enough. Turn the heat way down and like Euph said you have to let it simmer and stirring and keep tasting. The flour taste will completely disappear AFTER it has cooked long enough.

Just make sure that your heat is down low enough that it doesn't burn and you stir it often enough so that it won't stick and then burn. I have a gas cooktop and it seems to burn more easily on it than it did when I used electric...it seems harder to get the flame down low enough.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
Deb, I'll try the cooking longer.

BTW, is that you in your avatar?   

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Deb, I'll try the cooking longer.

BTW, is that you in your avatar?   

Yeah...it was taken at the fundraiser we went to last week.

RB sent it to me this morning, with a "you might want to change your FB picture"......subtle, huh? The one I had up was taken - oh, 3yrs ago, maybe more.  :lmao:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:32:16 PM »

... The one I had up was taken - oh, 3yrs ago, maybe more.  :lmao:

maybe more?? uh huh......  ::)  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Deb, one can use whatever sausage they want. IMO, it seems that Jimmy Dean sausage is too lean and doesn't leave enough fat. (We DO buy that brand for consumption around here, though).

BTW, I DO like that pic best so far in the years I've known you.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »

RB sent it to me this morning, with a "you might want to change your FB picture"......subtle, huh? The one I had up was taken - oh, 3yrs ago, maybe more.  :lmao:

You're gorgeous.    :bow:

Offline soleil

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

you look like someone I either know or someone famous. Can't tell, but you look very familiar!! Pretty too!

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
maybe more?? uh huh......  ::)  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Deb, one can use whatever sausage they want. IMO, it seems that Jimmy Dean sausage is too lean and doesn't leave enough fat. (We DO buy that brand for consumption around here, though).

BTW, I DO like that pic best so far in the years I've known you.

Thanks .... I don't take very good pictures, and I wasn't thrilled with this one either but it was the best of the 4 that RB emailed me( I thought). She chopped my head off of my body in the pics that were taken. Told her she could have at least zapped out the wrinkles too.

You're gorgeous.    :bow:

Thanks.... :shucks:

you look like someone I either know or someone famous. Can't tell, but you look very familiar!! Pretty too!

Reba McIntire with short hair? When I was young, a short Twiggy.  :lmao: But thanks!!