Author Topic: primitive wants to glue car together  (Read 1238 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive wants to glue car together
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=310x1083

Oh my.

progressoid  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-07-09 01:32 PM
Original message

Looking for a good adhesive for exterior plastic trim.

Our Toyota Matrix has some loose plastic trim. I can't afford to have it professionally repaired and removal leaves some large ugly holes. So, for now, I'm thinking industrial strength glue.

Any brand preferences?

petersond   (1000+ posts)         Fri May-08-09 04:10 AM
Response to Original message

1. This is what I use

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I've always had good luck with Goop, I had to use quite a bit of it to fix my drivers side mirror, rubber stripping around my driver's side window, and a good portion of trim on the side of my van...I put it on about a year ago, and its still holding strong.

progressoid  (1000+ posts)      Fri May-08-09 09:52 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Thanks.

I was thinking of something like this or liquid nails. Going to the store tomorrow if I get time.

petersond   (1000+ posts)         Sat May-09-09 01:37 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. I'm not sure how good liquid nails is...

I've only used liquid nails for interior paneling, and wood trim, I'm not sure liquid nails makes an automotive adhesive...

progressoid  (1000+ posts)      Sat May-09-09 05:04 AM
Response to Reply #3

4. Yeah, I think I'll try to find the auto version of GOOP.

franksolich is no expert, but franksolich would recommend the primitive try a 19-cent bottle of Elmer's Glue first.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: primitive wants to glue car together
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:30:23 PM »
Elmer's glue is water soluble. If it DID adhere the two materials, it would break down in the car wash or the rain. It also doesn't adhere very well when metal and plastics are involved. Best used would be a trim adhesive or a two part epoxy.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:22 PM »
Elmer's glue is water soluble. If it DID adhere the two materials, it would break down in the car wash or the rain. It also doesn't adhere very well when metal and plastics are involved. Best used would be a trim adhesive or a two part epoxy.

I know, but I wasn't offering advice to decent and civilized people.

I was offering advice to a primitive.

Me, I never had much trouble with damage to a motor vehicle, other than bent tie-rods and broken axles, because I'm a careful driver. 

That, and the fact that out here, there's plenty of room to park no matter where one goes.  Not even one of those microscopic "dings" caused by someone else opening a door of another vehicle.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
3M's two sided automotive tape is what one wants. In fact alot of moldings come from the factory with the same type of tape. You simply clean off the old adhesive (like with a razor blade) and apply the new adhesive tape. It's so simple a DUmmie could do it.  :rotf:

For emblems there is other options.

If the guy would come over here and post, I could help him.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »
Part of the rubber trim on one of my doors has come loose.  I could use some of that stuff until I get around to having the car repainted later.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:30:49 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:19 AM »
Part of the rubber trim on one of my doors has come loose.  I could use some of that stuff until I get around to having the car repainted later.

3M's super weather strip adhesive works well also.