Author Topic: New York is Again Ground Zero. And Again, Americans are all New Yorkers.  (Read 847 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member TygrBright (17,978 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213198765

New York is Again Ground Zero. And Again, Americans are all New Yorkers.
(With the obvious exception of that Orange Florida Man, of course.)

I'm remembering some of my 9/11 thoughts about "Why New York?"

To a lot of people, New York is quintessentially America. Big and diverse, full of life and creativity, commerce and innovation, wheeling and dealing, entertainment and fashion.

Tourists go there. People looking for excitement and variety go there. People looking for opportunity go there. People looking for a stage to perform on, people looking for a stage to watch.

New York is to the vast narrative of America as "Hamlet" is to English literature... it's "full of quotes". Stuff everyone knows. The punchlines of the jokes, the accents, the Five Boroughs, the pols, the parks, the glitter and the grit.

Yeah, some of us want no part of the hustle and the bustle, but we love to look on from afar, we love to tune in on New Year's Eve and enjoy Times Square, or watch the late night shows with their quintessential New York datelines. We're proud of it, proud that the world comes to New York for business, for diplomacy, for entertainment, for inspiration.

Some of us grumble that America isn't like that, not at all, really... the "heartland" is bigger, yanno, has more people... just because those New Yorkers get all the attention, doesn't mean they speak for all of us. Some of us paint New York as the Great Babylon, the seat of All That is Wrong with Godless America... but there's probably more than a little protesting too much in that trope, too.

New York isn't the heartland, for sure.

But as I felt after 9/11, it is America's big, beating, lively, perhaps a bit hypertensive, but vital and all-embracing heart.

I remember that feeling, after 9/11... a sort of awed and proud and sorrowful discovery, as if the blow had landed in a place I'd never realized the importance of, to me, personally.

New York, New York... again the epicenter of an American disaster, again brought on not so much by its own big, brash Obvious Target status as by the incompetence and uncaring folly of greedy fools in Washington.

Just want you to know, Manhattan. Just want you to know, Queens, Staten Island. Just want the Bronx to know, and Brooklyn...

I love you. You matter to me. I gotcher back. You're my peeps.

The lights of Broadway and Times Square may be dimmed for now, the streets no longer a-bustle as you fight for survival.

But you are still that big, bright splotch on my mental map of America.

My heart is with you.

Keep fighting.

Your fight is our fight.

Live, dammit.

determinedly,
Bright

Star Member Retrograde (6,541 posts)

5. West Coast view here

You remember us - those people out in the boonies who got the virus first and put measures in place to prevent its spread while New York was still dithering. It's a big impact on you - as it is on us. But we don't have the major media focusing on us 24 hours a day and so have to simply go about living as best we can. As we start our 3rd week of lockdown tomorrow we wish you (and everyone else in the country) well and hope we can get through this with a minimum of losses, but New York City is not only place affected.

:thatsright:

Star Member lostnfound (13,661 posts)

8. New York and California, in the same boat

Somehow in the last 19 years, a lot of people in trump base have been taught to demonize and distance you. Last year it was the stupid comments about California in the midst of their tragic fires. This year it’s the stupid attitudes about wanting to quarantine the whole state of New York.
What part of “United States” are they missing?

Both are Crown Jewels populated by some of the bravest dreamers, over the centuries..

HotTeaBag (154 posts)

14. New York is a shithole that is the absolute apex for the destruction

caused by capitalism and inequality.

I've lived here since 2004 and the constant romanticism is nauseating.

Are we all going to be 'Villagers' when that community gets laid to waste? Probably not.

:popcorn:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline 67 Rover

Snake Plysskin was right.  :popcorn:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

Seattle, Santa Clara County, NOLA, etc. want their shares of the ventilators sent to NY's stockpile. Had Cuomo bought the ventilators NY's 2015 task force said were necessary, NY might be donating some to other states.

Then again, had Jerry Brown not sold off the medical supplies and mobile hospitals bought by Arnold, CA might be, too. I saw a comment that basically Trump is having to make up, in a few weeks, for 1 or 2 decades of neglect by state governments and the Federal government, and navigate decades of bureaucratic red tape in the process.

Anybody want to talk about Certificate of Need laws, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_need ? Maybe the first jurisdiction to pass such a law?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

"Why New York?"

because it's an over crowded shithole
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline GOP Congress

Just remember...

"Anyone with a gun or rifle has a VETO on the electrical power grid supplying urban utility centers."

-Matt Bracken
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Wondering when an "intellectual heavyweight" such as AoC will suggest that states with more cases of the Chinese virus deserve more electoral voting influence.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jukin

Sorry, this guy is no New Yorker. New Yorkers voted in deblasio and Fredo the Elder and both of those assholes made this ten if not a hundred times worse by their policies and their get Orange Man Bad.

I know there must be good people there but I just don't give two squirts of piss about New York. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Snake Plysskin was right.  :popcorn:

I thought he was dead.

Oh well, New Yorkers would've coronated Weiner for Mayor, no questions asked.  So who did they go with after Weiner's self-inflicted pratfall?  Someone even further steeped in communist dung.

No, we're not all New Yorkers anymore. 

Offline landofconfusion80

Sorry, this guy is no New Yorker. New Yorkers voted in deblasio and Fredo the Elder and both of those assholes made this ten if not a hundred times worse by their policies and their get Orange Man Bad.

I know there must be good people there but I just don't give two squirts of piss about New York.
The whole state really doesnt need a wall around it, just Albany and nyc. Buffalo was pretty normal when I would go up there
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpDiver

Some New Yorkers aren't exceptionally bright.  When the Comfort came to Pier 90 today, people CROWDED the area to get pictures.