Author Topic: Tater Tot Casserole  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Tater Tot Casserole
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »
This is the Duggar's recipe:

2 lb ground turkey cooked, seasoned, drained
3 2lb bags tater tots
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans cream of chicken
Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.
Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.
Pour over top. Bake at 350 for 1 Hour.
(One of Daddy’s Favorites!) Makes 2- 9”X13” pans

Minky gave me her recipe though a few years ago, so I kind of make it the way she does. Here's how I make it:

2 pounds ground beef
I add some spices
1 can of peas
2 cans mushroom soup mixed with milk
2 packages tater tots
cheddar cheese

I just fry the meat, add the spices then add the peas, layer a baking pan with the meat mixture, put the tater tots on top, put the mushroom soup mixture on top of the tater tots (it'll sink down into the meat too), then add cheddar cheese to the top of the tater tots, 350 degree oven like the Duggars recipe for an hour.

It's really awesome.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline A7X_foREVer

Re: Tater Tot Casserole
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
This is the Duggar's recipe:

Minky gave me her recipe though a few years ago, so I kind of make it the way she does. Here's how I make it:

2 pounds ground beef
I add some spices
1 can of peas
2 cans mushroom soup mixed with milk
2 packages tater tots
cheddar cheese

I just fry the meat, add the spices then add the peas, layer a baking pan with the meat mixture, put the tater tots on top, put the mushroom soup mixture on top of the tater tots (it'll sink down into the meat too), then add cheddar cheese to the top of the tater tots, 350 degree oven like the Duggars recipe for an hour.

It's really awesome.

We use green beans in ours and because of mushroom allergies we use cream of celery soup still tastes great
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
Made it last night.  Oh, yeah.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
My Tater Tot dish goes like this:

1lb hamburger or diced chicken breast
  1 can corn (not creamed)
  1 can cream of chicken soup
  10-12 slices cheddar cheese
  salsa
  1 bag tater tots
  taco seasoning

Brown meat, add taco seasoning, simmer as required

make one layer tots in casserole dish
  add cooked meat, spread evenly
  add corn..
  add cheese slices..
  add soup....
  add layer of salsa..
  top off with remaining tater tots
  garnish with papirika and crushed dried red pepper

cook @ 350 for 40 min with lid on then another 10-15 min with lid off to brown the taters

This was based on a mid west recipie..  I modified it a bit with the taco seasoning, salsa and peppers.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
I made my wife's version last night.

You'll need 1 lb ground beef, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans cut green beans, and 1 package (1 lb) tater tots.

1 lb ground beef browned (drained) and seasoned with onion powder, S&P.

Mix with 1/2 a can cream of mushroom soup in a deep casserole dish. On top of that add 2 cans of green beans(drained). Top that with with one pkg tater tots and smear the remaining soup on top. I usually season each "layer".
Bake at 350 for an hour or till the soup/tots brown on top and it's heated through. The tots will be soft on the inside.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline A7X_foREVer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
Made it last night.  Oh, yeah.

What version did you make?
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

What version did you make?

I did the 2 lbs. hamburger, 2 cans cream of mushroom, 1 can evap milk, some spices (minced onion, salt/pepper, garlic powder, and a TOUCH of cayenne pepper), can of pease (could have used 2) grated cheese, and a 2-lb bag of tater tots.

Did that at 350 for an hour.  I was really surprised how well it came out.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
I'm making this for dinner tonight, changing it up a bit though, I flattened out the meat so it's like meatloaf but a little longer and wider version of it, will top it with peas, then the tater tots, mushroom soup and cheese.

Sparky, I haven't tried the evaporated milk version yet, you liked it?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
I'm making this for dinner tonight, changing it up a bit though, I flattened out the meat so it's like meatloaf but a little longer and wider version of it, will top it with peas, then the tater tots, mushroom soup and cheese.

Sparky, I haven't tried the evaporated milk version yet, you liked it?

Oh yeah--big-time.  I just did the HB with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, dehydrated onion, and a LITTLE bit of cayenne pepper.  No need to get totally crazy.  Then add some grated cheese, a couple cans of peas, tots, pour the soup/milk mix and add cheese on top.

Came out better than I expected.

Offline A7X_foREVer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Going to have to try it with these modifications