Author Topic: How one vegetarian mom learned to let her kids eat meat  (Read 3877 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
How one vegetarian mom learned to let her kids eat meat
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
Nettie Cronish’s nightmare came true when her three children began eating meat. The Toronto vegetarian chef was devastated.

Having sworn off meat for ethical and philosophical reasons, Ms. Cronish was a stickler for adhering to a healthy, organic, plant-based diet. But by the age of 6, her children were sampling all kinds of meat, sweets and processed food outside the home – and to her horror, they loved them.
As she discovered, food fights can drive a serious wedge between family members. Whether you have a mother who keeps a strict kosher diet, a son who refuses to eat anything but Kraft Dinner, or a husband who insists on macrobiotic foods, how do you keep the peace at the dinner table?

Ms. Cronish, co-author of the new cookbook Everyday Flexitarian: Recipes for Vegetarians & Meat Lovers Alike, says she eventually learned to choke back her hostility toward meat (although she still doesn’t eat it). She prepares meals with an optional meat component. She tells The Globe why her family’s happier for it.

Did you go through a food battle with your own parents when you decided to become vegetarian?

I became vegetarian at 17 and then I went away to university, but my mother was not happy. She felt that being vegetarian was not a healthy choice. She has never come around. My mother just turned 90 and she will tell you what I liked to eat before the switch. She’ll say, “She loved my chicken fricassee. I don’t know what happened.”

You’ve compared meat to cigarettes, cocaine and white sugar. So what was it like when your children started wanting to eat it?

I think my daughter was 5, and someone gave her a plate and there was some pulled pork on it, and she ate it – and loved it. She also wanted to drink milk. I remember her alternative school phoning me, asking me if it was all right.

I’ve been married for 25 years and my husband agreed to be vegetarian when we got married. Then, when the kids wanted to eat meat, he said he also wanted to eat meat.

You say you were initially very angry.

I was furious. I said, “No, we’re not having any meat in our house.” They didn’t share my ethical values. It really, really was hard to take. And they were also very curious about food. They would go to people’s houses, and they would ask to taste things. I wasn’t always there to watch over their shoulder. At the same time, I was very concerned about [healthy eating]. We never had pop in the house. I never baked with sugar. And candy? I used to give Magic Markers out at Halloween. As they got older, it was, “No, Mom. We can’t do that any more.” I didn’t want to behave like a dictator. I had to bend. I’d rather they eat a small quantity of good-quality meat than horrible meat.  ...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/young-children/children-health/how-one-vegetarian-mom-learned-to-let-her-kids-eat-meat/article1975025/

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: How one vegetarian mom learned to let her kids eat meat
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:15:29 PM »
There is a book out there called, "Eat for Your Blood Type" (or something like that) and it addresses how various blood typed people should eat certain foods. It also addresses the blood types and what foods they tend to lean towards.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
I personally don't think children should be deprived of a certain type of food. Their diets should be healthy and full of various proteins including animal products. Let them decide when they are older.

I also follow a somewhat flexitarian diet but not out of a deliberate choice; it's just what I like to eat.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
Not eating meat for health or taste reasons is fine.

Not eating meat for "ethical or philosophical" reasons is just kooky.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
It's difficult enough to balance an adult diet without meat, but kids not only have more sensitive taste buds, they also really need the protein.  It's much safer to give them a moderate diet that includes meat than to try to get enough tofu inside them to make the difference...especially if you're not giving them milk. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:08:09 AM »
Meat or no meat is a personal decision, like religious beliefs or who you're going to have sex with. Nobody should be pushing anything on anybody else. If you think you're right and the rest of your family is wrong, shut up and lead by example.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
A pure vegetarian diet is a particularly bad choice for young, growing children.  It's much less of a problem for people who have attained full musculo-skeletal development, though not without some drawbacks even for them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline longview

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
I invited a contract worker to go fishing last summer.  Later I overheard her say to others, "Well, I guess this vegetarian is going fishing."  I made a point of telling her the fish would be coming home to my house for supper.

She caught quite a few, almost her limit in brook trout.  After I'd cleaned them, she commented that it seemed disrespectful to the fish not to eat them since she caught them.  I let her come over and prepared the fish. 

Weeks later, I get a text asking how to filet the ones she and her son caught near their own home - she managed to clean them after only have watched me do it.  Fortunately another lady came by where she was and showed her.  Now only her husband is vegetarian (for health reasons) and she and their children eat fish and other meats.  It works for them and she enjoys taking the oldest child and going to the lake.

Fish:  The gateway meat!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
It's difficult enough to balance an adult diet without meat, but kids not only have more sensitive taste buds, they also really need the protein.  It's much safer to give them a moderate diet that includes meat than to try to get enough tofu inside them to make the difference...especially if you're not giving them milk. 

Some friends of ours daughter was shown "the video" about how horrible farms are at school. I don't know what video this thing is, but since last year she won't eat any meat beause of the video, not for any health reasons. She's only 14.    :mad:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline longview

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
Some friends of ours daughter was shown "the video" about how horrible farms are at school. I don't know what video this thing is, but since last year she won't eat any meat beause of the video, not for any health reasons. She's only 14.    :mad:

That's awful!  Most of the videos out on factory farming and slaughter houses that document abuse are from the Dept. of Ag inspectors.  They used them in cases against the abusers, or when testifying before government agencies, and now the vids are highjacked by animal rights groups as fund raising vehicles. 

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
"I became vegetarian at 17 and then I went away to university, but my mother was not happy. She felt that being vegetarian was not a healthy choice. She has never come around. My mother just turned 90 and she will tell you what I liked to eat before the switch. She’ll say, “She loved my chicken fricassee. I don’t know what happened.”

:lmao:

Reminds me of a joke. "My dearly departed Uncle died from complications due to smoking, he was 104."

Hey, DUmbass, your mom is NINETY FREAKING YEARS OLD. Here's your sign...

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan