Author Topic: World's hottest chilli grown in Grantham  (Read 1836 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
World's hottest chilli grown in Grantham
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
Its previous claim to fame was as the birthplace of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. But now the market town of Grantham in Lincolnshire has produced an even fierier export after a local producer grew the world’s hottest chilli.

Measuring 1.17 million on the Scoville Scale - an official measure of spicy heat - the Infinity chilli is so hot that it carries a health warning.

Grown by Nick Woods, 39, the chilli - which was grown in a greenhouse - made it to the Guinness Book of Records after out-spicing the previous title holder, the Bhut Jolokia, from India.

Mr Woods, who runs his own business Fire Foods from his home in Grantham, said he grew the record breaking chilli by accident.

He explained: "I didn't set out to grow it, it's really easy for chillies to crossbreed in a greenhouse, one day I just saw this new chilli plant growing.

“When I tried it tasted nice at first, like an odd fruity taste, the effect is delayed. Then it hit me. All of a sudden I felt it burning in the back of my throat, so hot that I couldn't speak.

“I began to shake uncontrollably, I had to sit down, I felt physically sick. I really wouldn't recommend anybody eat it raw like that.”   ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8331817/Worlds-hottest-chilli-grown-in-Grantham.html

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: World's hottest chilli grown in Grantham
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:45 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8331817/Worlds-hottest-chilli-grown-in-Grantham.html

Way back when the men who served in Asia in the late 1960's came home with seeds for growing the hot peppers and their family's loved them.

Some in the south west began to grow this chillies and found a huge market for them.    Strange that those in the mid-west due to I believe soil and climate conditions harvested the same chillies but with less of a bite, more mellow.  In new England this same plant grew to be sweet at first then turned into good Hots in the mouth.

Same plant, same seeds, but the growing conditions put a spin on taste and heat.