Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?  (Read 7051 times)

Offline cavegal

What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:04:19 PM »
As I grow older I seem to like them better.. Right now it would be squash.  Wait garlic, Wait Onions, Wait what is yours?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What Is Your Favorite Vegetable?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Most vegetables are good (a few exceptions like okra and Brussels sprouts), but I almost always prefer them raw.  Onions, garlic need to be cooked, of course, but most everything else - raw.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
As I grow older I seem to like them better.. Right now it would be squash.  Wait garlic, Wait Onions, Wait what is yours?

The potato, 3 meals a day not uncommon. 

Hash browns and eggs for breakfast, french fries at lunch and stuffed potato for dinner.

The potato is to us westerners as rice is to the far East.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
Depends on the season.

I like getting the fresh seasonal stuff because 1--it's cheaper then, 2--it's fresher.

Summer--zuchinni or cucumbers (especially cuke/tomato/onion salad).  Tomato/basil salad is always good too.  Peas and carrots as well.
Fall--Squashes or sweet potatoes.
Winter/Early Spring--Potatoes and (sadly) canned corn and beans.  Nothing like a good stew or chili on a cold winter's day.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
EEK!  I cannot name just one.  

Spinach, Asparagus, Artichokes, Tomatos.  

For right now.  
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »

For right now.  

FRESH spinach only.  I can do a hot bacon dressing that will kill, but spinach out of a can is no good for me.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
FRESH spinach only.  I can do a hot bacon dressing that will kill, but spinach out of a can is no good for me.

Oh yeah, agreed.  I will add frozen spinach to a soup on occasion, but that is about it for my frozen spinach use. 

I usually just wilt the spinach in a little sesame oil. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »

For right now.  

I can't either!

Easier to name what I don't like.  :-)

Lima beans, any bean actually. Yes, I know they aren't really vegetables. I do like green beans though.

I will only eat fresh or frozen peas, if they are barely cooked.

Very picky about okra. Can't be overcooked, slimey or greasy.

I'll eat pretty much everything else, (at least what I can think of) though some I prefer much better than others.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
Corn on the cob -- from any of a half dozen farmers stands around here . . .
tomatoes from my yard also.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »

Here, here.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »
I cannot name just one.  

For right now.  

Good call. I'd have to agree here. :hi5:

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
It would have to be peas...raw, straight out of the garden.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline soleil

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
No way could I answer that. I love so many. There are only a few I detest. And detest would probbly be a too strong of a word.

I will have to say the potato is probably the most versatile. It may not be the most nutritious (even though the skin is nutritious), but you can do almost anything with a potato, and it will almost certainly be yummy.

Offline soleil

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »

The only spinach out of a can I will buy is Glory brand. And since I am not a huge spinach fan, it does just fine for my husband. Certainly not homecooked, but it will do. I prefer my spinach in my salad. Not cooked. However, there are some mean spinach dips out there. Mmm! But boiled spinach? Not for me. So Glory will have to do for the hubby.

Offline soleil

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »
Corn on the cob -- from any of a half dozen farmers stands around here . . .
tomatoes from my yard also.

Fresh sweet corn on the cob? On the grill? I would totally slap my mother for a piece. Unfortunately, corn is a big fat zero in nutritional value. But damn, it is good. Creamed corn? I could go on and on and on!

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
half a beefsteak tomato, broil until it shows that it is getting hot, top with ftrst motzerella cheese, broil more until the cheese browns a little, remove and you have a great meal  In this heat, cold with some olive oil and vinrger  dressing is great too.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
Folks........ for the record, tomatoes are fruits!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I like broccoli, but it has to be raw or maybe lightly steamed.

Vesta..... no wonder you have physical problems. Potatoes can aggravate arthritis, among other ailments. I am constantly reminded by Inga that they are a member of the nightshade family. It's not good to ingest so many potatoes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 07:32:10 AM »

Vesta..... no wonder you have physical problems. Potatoes can aggravate arthritis, among other ailments. I am constantly reminded by Inga that they are a member of the nightshade family. It's not good to ingest so many potatoes.

Great . :sarcasm:  Potatoes and corn are the only vegetables that my wife eats. 

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:24 AM »
Roasted Brussels Sprouts drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar.  So Good!  I also like snap peas quite a bit. But honestly, I like most vegetables.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34:28 AM »

All too true about the potato, but I remember hearing that at one time the miners in Wales would eat 5+ pounds of potato's a day for energy.

At one time tomatoes were considered poison

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
All too true about the potato, but I remember hearing that at one time the miners in Wales would eat 5+ pounds of potato's a day for energy.

At one time tomatoes were considered poison

Raw Tomatoes should still be considered poison  :hammer:  Nasty food item.  I'll eat tomatoes in sauce, salsa, or ketchup, and occasionally sun dried, but I won't touch them uncooked. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
Fresh sweet corn on the cob? On the grill? I would totally slap my mother for a piece. Unfortunately, corn is a big fat zero in nutritional value. But damn, it is good. Creamed corn? I could go on and on and on!

OHHHHHHHH, thats why it looks the same going ou..............
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

OHHHHHHHH, thats why it looks the same going ou..............

:lmao:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
Fresh sweet corn on the cob? On the grill? I would totally slap my mother for a piece.

:lmao: :rotf: I've never heard this expression before but it really cracked me up!!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:17 AM »
Raw Tomatoes should still be considered poison  :hammer:  Nasty food item.  I'll eat tomatoes in sauce, salsa, or ketchup, and occasionally sun dried, but I won't touch them uncooked. 

Good grief Rose why not ?????

Summer is when the beef steak tomatoes first arrive and oh the glory of a sandwitch of tomatoes, mayo, salt and pepper.

Some people put sugar on tomatoes but I use salt.  A Filipino friend taught me that for some reason putting salt on fruit brings out the natural sweetness much better then sugar.