Author Topic: winter's coming, and primitive heats with oil  (Read 969 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
winter's coming, and primitive heats with oil
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x1432

Oh my.

lizziegrace  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Mon Sep-03-07 04:52 PM
Original message

Winter's coming and I heat with oil

Moving's not an option. I live in a 60 year old 1 1/2 story brick farmhouse. The owner put in new windows but they're very cheap replacements. Caulking them is my first task.

Red diesel is almost $3/gallon and I can blow through 150 gallons a month with the thermostat set in the 50's. Any and all suggestions to tighten up the place are welcome!

The landlord probably would've been willing to put in expensive window replacements, if the Lizzie Borden primitive had been willing to pay more rent.  What is it about the primitives, that they think landlords are made of money?

Most of the primitive solutions involve quilts, making it seem as if one had wandered into the crafts forum.

eleny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-04-07 11:46 PM
Response to Reply #9

14. Our north facing porch had bad windows for years

They were the kind that you could raise up and hook to the ceiling. Charming but sieves in winter. For years I put up thin, clear plastic that you shrink in place using a hair dryer. Then I'd put insulated cafe curtains topped with matching tieback curtains from Country Curtains in Massachusetts. The rubbery insulation was fused to the muslin fabric of the curtains and worked well. We could almost use that porch all year.

There are so many better solutions these days with the window quilts.

CC  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Mon Sep-03-07 11:29 PM
Response to Original message

5. Not sure how well the "new" windows will work but if they let air in try the plastic for windows. Example here http://www.amazon.com/3M-Company-2141-Indoor-Insulation... . Insulated curtains for sure. I have a couple of the econo heaters and they have worked wonders. If you use a couple rooms more than others then put the heaters there.

A regular ceramic heater will warm up a bathroom pretty quickly for showers. The electric isn't too bad when used for a short amount of time.

Make sure you close off the fireplace really good since you can't use it.

Find out what direction your windows face. Your should open any window curtains that face south when the sun is shining. Keep north facing windows covered with the insulated curtains. Same goes for east in the morning, west in the afternoon. Passive solar really can make a difference.

Keep lots of soft warm snuggly blankets in rooms you use most. Wrapping up in a warm snuggly blanket while watching tv can be a treat.

Layers and more layers when you clothe yourself. Get some sweatpants and shirts to wear over thermals pants and shirts. find the softest most comfy ones you can. If they are soft and warm you will want to wear them and hate dressing in regular clothes. You are home so be comfy.

Shut the doors to rooms you do not use much. Bedrooms can remain cooler if you only sleep in them. Lots of layers of blankets at night and a cool room can be great for sleeping. Covering your head will also make you warmer. I get cold easy so an extra pillow is usually over my head. (Ok so I am a bit weird but it works.) Keeps me warm and blocks all light. There is a reason they wore sleeping caps in the old days. A cooler bedroom is also healthier according to my doctor.

Open the bathroom door as fast as possible after taking a shower or bath or leave it open the whole time if possible.. Humidity is your friend in the winter. Do not use the kitchen vent when boiling water while cooking for the same reason.

If your house is empty part of the day it is worth getting a programmable thermostat. Set it lower at night while sleeping and while you are gone and higher when you are at home. The cost of the thermostat will pay for itself fast.

Do not forget that all states offer help with heating bills. If you are not sure if you qualify apply anyway. All they can say is no you earn to much. Way too many people that qualify for home fuel heating help never apply and lose out. Many other people do donate to the fund because they want those that need the help to get it.

All this advice from a person living in a hundred plus year house that is getting insulated one room at a time and hates, really hates being cold. Two more rooms and we will finally stop cooling and heating the outdoors.

Edited to add- See if you can find a coop for your heating oil that will let you lock in your price early. We have one we belong too. In July they send around the contracts. We locked in at 2.29 a gallon for our highest price this winter. If it is cheaper they charge us less but they can not charge more. We are on automatic delivery but we also have a wood/coal burning furnace that we use when it gets really cold. The lock in price has been pretty good and we never run out of oil. They do not charge us for using less.

133724  (1000+ posts)  Wed Sep-05-07 12:55 AM

15. Put clear plastic over your windows and any doors to the out side that you do not use. Since you have a 1.5 floor home put the plastic on the inside of the windows and tape it to the walls using masking tape.

Close the registers for heating in any rooms that you do not use in winter (get a telephone book and put it on top of the vent if necessary) and hang a heavy curtain over the door way or close the door and put a towel at the bottom of the door to close any leaks.

Calking is OK but this will be more effective...

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Thu Sep-06-07 09:09 PM

16. You didn't say what type of heat but whatever it is, you can save a bundle by shutting off registers/radiators in all upstairs rooms and shutting the doors during the day. You can shut off unused rooms downstairs, too.

Look into putting in a solid fuel stove---wood, pellets or corn---to help out on the coldest days. Mine paid for itself in about 4 years, even with gas heat. If you have a fireplace, get that sucker a Franklin stove insert.

Forget about heating bedrooms, even at night. Electric blankets are a great investment and much more economical than an oil furnace.

Consider econoheaters in bathrooms.

When you're caulking the windows, don't forget taking off outlet covers on exterior walls and putting in the premade foam insulation pads behind them.

The suggestion for heavy curtains is a great one. You can even make quilted Roman shades if you're handy. Curtains open when sun is pouring in, closed as it shifts across the sky and hits other windows.

These are all things I did in a house in New England, except for the econoheaters. They didn't have those things back in the 70s, dagnab it.

The primitive woman bothered by cold weather, who's been a rare sight on Skins's island these days, spending most of her time hanging out with Fat Che in Big Jerry's salon instead:

troubleinwinter  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Thu Sep-20-07 10:54 PM

19. This is a little bit of a weird one, but....

I learned about this in this forum ages ago.

If you have some rooms that you don't need a perfect view from (but still like daylite), you can very cheaply and easily add removeable insulation with bubble-wrap.

Just ordinary old packing bubblewrap. Cut to size of the glass, wet the window with water (spray bottle) and press it on (bubble side to the glass). It'll stay until you just pull it off. It creates a good airspace/insulation to keep the glass from transfering the cold into the room.

I told this (2yrs ago?) to a friend who lives in a large old poorly insulated mobile home with large windows, a bad heating system and huge heating bills. She says it worked WONDERFULLY in the rooms with views she doesn't need.

She went to a shipping/packing/moving/U-Haul type company and bought rolls for pretty cheap (36" or 48" wide).

Easy to apply, easy to remove & reuse.

Weird, but very clever, I think!

erinlough  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Oct-07-08 06:39 PM

22. While insulating the windows on a small cabin we built

I came up with this idea. I went to the cheapest store I could find that carried insulated blankets in twin size. I mounted them to the top of the window using small finishing nails. When they are not in use, like in the summer I attached spring loaded curtain clips about every 18 inches length wise and about ever 2 foot width wise. then I folded them like a fan and placed all of the spring loaded clips over a simple hook. Here is a picture of the look I got. If you were using it in a living room you could choose plain colors, I picked the quilt look for the cabin and for Christmas.

After which a photograph--well worth going over to Skins's island to gawk at--of primitive interior decoration; damn, the primitives have no taste.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: winter's coming, and primitive heats with oil
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »
After which a photograph--well worth going over to Skins's island to gawk at--of primitive interior decoration; damn, the primitives have no taste.

This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »
Heh. DUmmie built a nice little peasant shack. Add a nice black and white of Dear Leader on the wall and it will be perfect. Get used to living in it if Obamarx has his way.

This "cabin" , is the low carbon - socially non prejudicial - style of accommodation that is the demonstrated outcome of the primitives desire to redistribute wealth.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
150 gallons a MONTH?  I went the entire winter (Oct-April) on less than 500 gallons.  My worst period (as expected) was mid-December until early March where I used 190 gallons.  Sub-zero temps at least 10 of those mornings.

And I had the thermostat programmed for 68-70 when I was home, 62 when at work or in bed.

Try some attic insulation, ya cheap bastard.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »
Sounds like a furnace problem.....

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".