Interests > The Science Club

EMP

<< < (2/6) > >>

Rick:
May want to add, alternator, regulator, and starter, to that cage. Oh coil and condenser too.

AARguy:
EMP will only effect microcircuits... printed circuits like you find in a computer motherboard, things with tiny wires. I dont believe any of those car parts would be susceptible to EMP.

Eupher:

--- Quote from: AARguy on January 17, 2022, 04:46:32 PM ---Well, I admit to being something of a "prepper". I started by buying an old car to restore... a car with points and plugs,not a computer and fuel injection. Its a fun hobby and if just happens to be an EMP attack someday,I'll have a car that works.

And I have made two "Faraday Cages" to safeguard an old, unused laptop I have, a digital camera, a spare blood sugar monitor, some radios and such.

Its not much. But its a start.

--- End quote ---

Good points - no pun intended. I remember working on my older cars. The last one was a '78 Nova that I bought new. Since then, electronic this 'n that. Ugh.

dutch508:

--- Quote from: AARguy on January 17, 2022, 06:43:20 PM ---EMP will only effect microcircuits... printed circuits like you find in a computer motherboard, things with tiny wires. I dont believe any of those car parts would be susceptible to EMP.

--- End quote ---

Anything with a chip, which is most stuff anymore.
Like you said, pre 78 or so is your best bet

AARguy:
Yes... by the way, there's a great novel on the subject of EMP. Story of its effects on an average American town. Its called "One Second After". Forward by Newt Gingrich. Afterward by a Navy guy that talks tech.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version