Author Topic: I'm visiting North Carolina and I asked about Edwards  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Lauri

I'm visiting North Carolina and I asked about Edwards
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:53:35 PM »
undeterred  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Mon Jan-14-08 06:09 PM
Original message
I'm visiting North Carolina and I asked about Edwards

This is a business visit and I guess the people I am talking to are Republicans. I was told that by 3 different people that he shouldn't be running for president when his wife has cancer- that people find it offensive that he would run for office instead of staying home to take care of her when he can afford to. I was at a loss for words.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2683044

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: I'm visiting North Carolina and I asked about Edwards
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Lex  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-14-08 06:10 PM
Response to Original message
2. I live in North Carolina and I've never heard *one* person say that.

So I'm not sure who you're talking to.

dueling anecdotal evidence. :-)

"his name was Bob.  does that clear it up?"

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »
i live in a fairly blue area... ive heard Dems say they think its in bad taste for the Edwards family to be out campaigning now..

i think most people privately think he must be so power hungry to not care if he's wasting her last years doing this campaign.. which, ultimately, makes him unelectable.

maybe this time, John will take us seriously when we reject him?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:33:56 PM »
i live in a fairly blue area... ive heard Dems say they think its in bad taste for the Edwards family to be out campaigning now..

i think most people privately think he must be so power hungry to not care if he's wasting her last years doing this campaign.. which, ultimately, makes him unelectable.

I would hope that losing spectacularly in two consecutive elections would tend to take the urge out of him.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »
KoKo01  (1000+ posts)         Mon Jan-14-08 06:29 PM
34. ELIZABETH...is TOTALLY IN FAVOR! She's a Trooper and knows what's Wrong...she Posted on DU in the
   "Old Days."
Those two KNOW WHAT'S WRONG. I have "other issues with Edwards" but I'm willing to put his Iraq Invasion Vote behind and that a bunch of us stood outside a fundraiser for him about his support for Bush's Invasion...and he didn't bother to speak to us...to figure that his POPULIST MESSAGE...resonates soooo strong these days that he deserves a vote...and it's ELIZABETH who steers him....But...I think maybe he's FINALLY AWAKENED!!

I'm a Kucinich/Edwards supporter...just so you know...Kucinich FIRST...but Edwards has taken Kucinich's Message...so I gotta support BOTH...

So true!  Elizabeth Edwards did post on DemoncraftUnderground.com for a day.  Then she got disgusted with the vile hatred and horrible DUmbass puke being posted about a wonderful woman with breast cancer - Laura Ingraham.  Remember, DUmmies??  You all wanted Laura to die a horrible death.  Even a skank like Elizabeth Edwards couldn't take the HORROR of DU.  

Elizabeth Edwards didn't want to be associated with the DUmmies putrid website.    

Zalinda  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-14-08 06:53 PM
Response to Reply #42
46. Please tell her that Elizabeth Edwards always speaks up. She is not in the least bit cowed by anyone, which includes her husband. She says what's on her mind, and means it. And John loves her for her honesty.

So true!  I remember when Elizabeth Edwards told the vile scum who post on DemoncraftUnderground.com exactly what she thought of them.  You DUmbasses may support the skanky lady and her pretty-boy husband, but she sure as HELL doesn't support you.

unc70  (352 posts)         Mon Jan-14-08 07:46 PM
Response to Reply #46
51. Biggest understatement on DU today
Boy does she ever speak up! I dare anyone to try to stop her.

And this is a quality you admire?  How soon you idiots forget.  The Edwards wouldn't piss on DU if it was on fire.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »

I would hope that losing spectacularly in two consecutive elections would tend to take the urge out of him.

here is what nobody wants to discuss; the thought of our president losing his wife during his term in office.

i know its crass, but this is what the public is thinking.. we need to know he is capable of putting his personal life on hold somewhat while he deals with the country. and losing his wife would be a really, really huge deal for any sitting president. let along knowing she was sick as he entered the office.

i dont care if he was THE most qualified guy on the planet that both sides adored... i dont think the public would elect him.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »
KoKo01  (1000+ posts)         Mon Jan-14-08 06:29 PM
34. ELIZABETH...is TOTALLY IN FAVOR! She's a Trooper and knows what's Wrong...she Posted on DU in the
   "Old Days."
Those two KNOW WHAT'S WRONG. I have "other issues with Edwards" but I'm willing to put his Iraq Invasion Vote behind and that a bunch of us stood outside a fundraiser for him about his support for Bush's Invasion...and he didn't bother to speak to us...to figure that his POPULIST MESSAGE...resonates soooo strong these days that he deserves a vote...and it's ELIZABETH who steers him....But...I think maybe he's FINALLY AWAKENED!!

I'm a Kucinich/Edwards supporter...just so you know...Kucinich FIRST...but Edwards has taken Kucinich's Message...so I gotta support BOTH...

So true!  Elizabeth Edwards did post on DemoncraftUnderground.com for a day.  Then she got disgusted with the vile hatred and horrible DUmbass puke being posted about a wonderful woman with breast cancer - Laura Ingraham.  Remember, DUmmies??  You all wanted Laura to die a horrible death.  Even a skank like Elizabeth Edwards couldn't take the HORROR of DU. 

Elizabeth Edwards didn't want to be associated with the DUmmies putrid website.   

Zalinda  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-14-08 06:53 PM
Response to Reply #42
46. Please tell her that Elizabeth Edwards always speaks up. She is not in the least bit cowed by anyone, which includes her husband. She says what's on her mind, and means it. And John loves her for her honesty.

So true!  I remember when Elizabeth Edwards told the vile scum who post on DemoncraftUnderground.com exactly what she thought of them.  You DUmbasses may support the skanky lady and her pretty-boy husband, but she sure as HELL doesn't support you.

unc70  (352 posts)         Mon Jan-14-08 07:46 PM
Response to Reply #46
51. Biggest understatement on DU today
Boy does she ever speak up! I dare anyone to try to stop her.

And this is a quality you admire?  How soon you idiots forget.  The Edwards wouldn't piss on DU if it was on fire.

if DU lived across the street from John and Elizabeth Edwards.. the Edwards' would pay them money to move. Just like they did with that conservative old man that was their neighbor that Elizabeth slandered so badly when they first moved in.

she has no class... and whatever good she might have done for this country was shredded when she made those statements about her financially challenged neighbors.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »

here is what nobody wants to discuss; the thought of our president losing his wife during his term in office.

i know its crass, but this is what the public is thinking.. we need to know he is capable of putting his personal life on hold somewhat while he deals with the country. and losing his wife would be a really, really huge deal for any sitting president. let along knowing she was sick as he entered the office.

i dont care if he was THE most qualified guy on the planet that both sides adored... i dont think the public would elect him.

I honestly don't think johnny edwards gets that far in peoples consideration before he is eliminated for a thousand other very good reasons.  he never has anything to say that makes any sense, his next original idea will be his first, his "fighting for the poor" is the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen . . . . that kind of stuff.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »

I honestly don't think johnny edwards gets that far in peoples consideration before he is eliminated for a thousand other very good reasons.  he never has anything to say that makes any sense, his next original idea will be his first, his "fighting for the poor" is the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen . . . . that kind of stuff.

that might be true... i think its just such a distateful thing to discuss that we will never know how the public actually feels. nobody is going to poll anything related to a terminal spouse.. its just not something people will talk about, even to their friends.

i know i certainly wouldnt.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 11:59:42 PM »

that might be true... i think its just such a distateful thing to discuss that we will never know how the public actually feels. nobody is going to poll anything related to a terminal spouse.. its just not something people will talk about, even to their friends.

i know i certainly wouldnt.

her condition still confuses me.  it was, as I recall, referred to as "incurable, but treatable".  I'm just not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »

her condition still confuses me.  it was, as I recall, referred to as "incurable, but treatable".  I'm just not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things.

The last time I heard that phrase used it meant that they could treat the symptoms but not the disease.  They can prolong her life, but they cannot stop the cancer from eventually spreading and killing her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »

The last time I heard that phrase used it meant that they could treat the symptoms but not the disease.  They can prolong her life, but they cannot stop the cancer from eventually spreading and killing her.

well, if that's the case (and I am sure that it is), I can't imagine why she would want to spend her remaining days (or even a significant portion of them) in politics. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:22:11 AM »

well, if that's the case (and I am sure that it is), I can't imagine why she would want to spend her remaining days (or even a significant portion of them) in politics. 

I think that has a lot of folks baffled.  It's not like the USA will not survive without President Edwards.  It's not like John Edwards has a serious chance to be elected.  John Kerry would be President now if Edwards' home state had voted for him (them).

Elizabeth Edwards will be one of those folks you know is sick, but you think all is going well for her, and then all of the sudden her death will be announced.   From my personal experience, I would estimate she has maybe two years to live (if she is lucky).

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »

I think that has a lot of folks baffled.  It's not like the USA will not survive without President Edwards.  It's not like John Edwards has a serious chance to be elected. John Kerry would be President now if Edwards' home state had voted for him (them).

Elizabeth Edwards will be one of those folks you know is sick, but you think all is going well for her, and then all of the sudden her death will be announced.   From my personal experience, I would estimate she has maybe two years to live (if she is lucky).

I'll bet john and elizabeth would disagree with you on both points. :-)

and john edwards is such a miserable candidate, he didn't even carry his home county in the general election in 2004.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »

I think that has a lot of folks baffled.  It's not like the USA will not survive without President Edwards.  It's not like John Edwards has a serious chance to be elected. John Kerry would be President now if Edwards' home state had voted for him (them).

and john edwards is such a miserable candidate, he didn't even carry his home county in the general election in 2004.

They would not disagree if they are honest people, but look who I'm talking about. 

I was wrong (I know, what are the chances?) about the electoral votes of North Carolina being enough to change the outcome of the 2004 election.  It was still a huge embarrassment for Edwards and Kerry.  Al Gore never lived it down either.  Al Gore lost Tennessee in 2000.  :lmao:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »

They would not disagree if they are honest people, but look who I'm talking about.

I was wrong (I know, what are the chances?) about the electoral votes of North Carolina being enough to change the outcome of the 2004 election.  It was still a huge embarrassment for Edwards and Kerry.  Al Gore never lived it down either.  Al Gore lost Tennessee in 2000.  :lmao:

good point.  and I got your meaning with regards to winning NC.  he was on the ticket to flip a southern state or two, and he couldn't even manage that.