Author Topic: An agenda for a 'politics of aspiration'  (Read 735 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
An agenda for a 'politics of aspiration'
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
Here are some of the key promises the GOP should make. They are fairly obvious, which only makes GOP neglect here that much more shameful:

Regulation: "Every new rule transfers power from individual Americans to government bureaucrats. While some basic, easily understood rules are necessary, most regulations are about micromanaging. This squelches freedom and saps our opportunity to move up the economic ladder. Those with political power use the rule-making process to keep upstarts from competing with them. We plan a regulatory rollback even more aggressive than Wal-Mart's price rollbacks!"

Taxation: "You pay plenty in taxes already. It's not just about the cash, but about freedom. You need to invest in your business, pay your mortgage and pay for your kids' education. Government already has too much money, and it spends it on mission-creep rather than the 'public good.' By the way, we are NOT going to increase taxes on your grandchildren by engaging in reckless debt spending, either."

Immigration: "Yes, we can slow illegal immigration though some sound policies, but we won't be overly punitive in doing so. The big problem isn't that there are too many immigrants, but too few Americans. We're committed to creating opportunities for assimilation and reducing the costs associated with immigration by reducing the size of the welfare state. Our policies will welcome people and remove barriers to their independence and success. Isn't that better than building a wall?" [okay, I still want a wall. Or, at least keep enforcing laws that make them self-deport. This point sounds a bit flowery and useless otherwise. Reducing the welfare state is good though. We should do that anyway. --dixiebelle]

Civil liberties and defense: "We are committed to defending you against real threats, but we will not erode the nation's constitutional guarantees in the process. We will put into place the humbler foreign policy promise that a former GOP president (we forget his name, for some reason) made in 2000. We are committed to protecting your privacy from government snooping." [I'm fine with the Bush policies so...]

Infrastructure, economy and growth: "While our party is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment, we are also committed to building (actually, encouraging states and the private sector to build) the infrastructure needed to meet the needs of a growing population. A booming economy needs more personal mobility. We're all for making it easier for corporations – that's not a bad word, by the way – to develop sources of oil and new alternativesas worldwide demand rises. Markets will provide affordable, clean energy. The economy needs no meddling – limited government and sound money will help sustain growth." [YES!]

Education and health care: "Government-run, union-controlled monopolies do not face market pressures, and produce the worst goods and services at the highest prices. Therefore, we are committed to choice and competition in the crucial areas of education and health. The government builds Yugos; the market builds Toyotas. Which do you prefer?" [AMEN!]

Entitlements: "Most of the federal budget is tied up in promises for Social Security and Medicare. The key to your future and the health of the federal budget is privatizing these programs so that Americans can look to a prosperous old age."

Other issues: "We're for ending corporate welfare (and treating all businesses fairly), protecting private property rights (which benefit the little guy the most), upholding the Second Amendment (everyone deserves the right to self protection), promoting open government (so you can monitor our behavior) and defending free speech (even in political campaigns!). We will eschew divisive social issues, which are best handled outside of the coercive world of government. We are for getting government out of the way and out of your lives so that each of you can make your own way."

I snipped all of the recommendations. The entire article is here -
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/government-gop-party-2083930-republican-committed
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle