Author Topic: McCain's CPAC speech.. did you hear it?  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Lauri

McCain's CPAC speech.. did you hear it?
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
So, I will give him high marks for admiting that he knows we arent happy with his positions on Amnesty and Illegals. He backtracked on it and said he failed in that situation.

The crowd did let him know they didnt like his Amnesty stance... he gets it.

I cant say I like the guy, but he is definitely courting us now.

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: McCain's CPAC speech.. did you hear it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »
He flat out LIED about his positions, and he just got up there and told us what we wanted to hear. That speech won him some points though, you can be sure of that  :whatever:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
this is going to be a loooooong campaign til November...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
I was glad to hear the crowd being respectful. I was glad to hear his genuine support for our troops.

That's about as far as I can push being glad.  :p The rest seemed like broiler plate rhetoric. I'll give him a 5.8 on sincerity, a 10 for showing up and a 1.3 on conviction.

Ugh. WAY to soon for me to even care for a whiff of that bandwagon.  :banghead:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »
^excellent. I totally agree.

Ya'll wake me up the on election day. I'll go pull the lever but I don't want to hear all of the crap between now and then.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »
So, I will give him high marks for admiting that he knows we arent happy with his positions on Amnesty and Illegals. He backtracked on it and said he failed in that situation.
I heard his speech on the way home from work (on an NPR station believe it or not). He did say "secure the borders first", then deal with the aliens to prevent another wave of illegals. I just hope he's not thinking of amnesty as a way to "deal" with the problem.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Bh

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
I saw most of the speech, he said all the right things, long time to go before Nov.

Obama and the Clinton's just became huge Huckster fans.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:03:09 PM »
Ugh..the thought of seeing McCain's face plastered all over the tv screen for nearly 10 months makes me want to  :puke:

:lalala:

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:31:24 PM »
Ugh..the thought of seeing McCain's face plastered all over the tv screen for nearly 10 months makes me want to  :puke:

10 months?  How about four years??? :banghead:

Of course, the alternative of hearing Hillary's "Mother-in-law of Satan" screech for a similar period of time makes me want to sharpen a pair of ice picks to shove in my ears!!!   :maddernhell:
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Bh

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:50 PM »

10 months?  How about four years??? :banghead:

Of course, the alternative of hearing Hillary's "Mother-in-law of Satan" screech for a similar period of time makes me want to sharpen a pair of ice picks to shove in my ears!!!   :maddernhell:
Here ya go
 :bump:

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »

He won't take a tough stance against the illegals... he's merely wooing to woo more conservative voters because he knows that without those on the right who give a damn about the borders, he'll lose to Hitlery.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »
So much for all those who thought it was a winning strategy to vote for the Huckster to get a brokered convention. That worked real well.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
So much for all those who thought it was a winning strategy to vote for the Huckster to get a brokered convention. That worked real well.

Cindie

A 'brokered" convention? What do you mean by that? You mean one where there's still no clear nominee at the time of the RNC?

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »

I still do not trust him. I think he is just saying what we want to hear.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »

i get that the party wants to stop being so fractured... they want us to get behind one person and stop all the bickering, but today, people are rightfully pissed.

i have talked to no less than six adults (mostly neighbors and other moms) tonight who are just absolutely floored that McCain is our guy now. i havent heard one caller on talk radio who is for McCain.

i think we are screwed unless McCain starts making us believe him... and i dont think thats gonna happen either.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »

i get that the party wants to stop being so fractured... they want us to get behind one person and stop all the bickering, but today, people are rightfully pissed.

i have talked to no less than six adults (mostly neighbors and other moms) tonight who are just absolutely floored that McCain is our guy now. i havent heard one caller on talk radio who is for McCain.

i think we are screwed unless McCain starts making us believe him... and i dont think thats gonna happen either.

Unless Alan Keyes pulls off some sort of miracle win, but I doubt it.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »
From John Hawkins at RWN

CPAC Update: McCain Update, Oooooh, Guess Who I Met, You Won't Believe What Bush Is Doing

* First off, interesting detail: I mentioned earlier that McCain got a surprisingly good reception. Well, after talking to multiple people who got into the McCain event, I found out why that was and why the hall was packed so tightly that they couldn't even fit all the media people in: They brought in a couple of busloads of McCain supporters to cheer for him and hustled them into the hall before he spoke.

* Tonight, at the reception, I got a chance to meet Ken Blackwell, Wayne LaPierre, and Mark Steyn. They're all very cool people, Steyn in particular.

* I was also one of the very few bloggers who went to the Presidential banquet to catch Marsha Blackburn and Robert Novak speak. Blackburn is actually really funny, which is sort of a suprise. Since when are any members of Congress funny? Novak was introduced by...guess. Ok, still guessing? All right, believe it or not, Sam Donaldson and was pretty funny himself. Novak then went on to give a long, rousing explanation of why conservatives should support McCain in 2008.

(lots more...)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
you could hear boo'ing in some parts of his speech today..

there was a story on Drudge yesterday saying people had been warned not to boo... so, he knew it was coming so they may indeed have stacked the hall with his supporters.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:38 PM »

there was a story on Drudge yesterday saying people had been warned not to boo... so, he knew it was coming so they may indeed have stacked the hall with his supporters.

muah.  I beat ya.   :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 12:16:38 AM »

muah.  I beat ya.   :-)

beat me??? no way!  :banghead:

Offline Bh

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »

Cindie

A 'brokered" convention? What do you mean by that? You mean one where there's still no clear nominee at the time of the RNC?

Brokered convention

A brokered convention refers to a situation in United States politics where there are not enough delegates obtained during the presidential primary and caucus process for a single candidate to obtain a majority for the presidential nominating convention. Since no candidates receive enough votes on the first ballot to win the nomination, the convention is brokered through political horse-trading and multiple ballots.

Link