Author Topic: First Gay President??  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
First Gay President??
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Toni Morrison famously coined Bill Clinton "America's First Black President." I'll do her one further. If Bill Clinton gets to be the first black President, then Barack Obama gets to be the first gay President.

Why? Because if Barack Obama follows through with even half of the promises he made to the LGBT community during his campaign, he'll have done more to advance gay rights in this country than any President before him – combined.

Already we're seeing evidence of this. President-Elect Obama has appointed at least seven openly gay or lesbian officials to his transition team, including labor attorney Elaine Kaplan, former Romanian Ambassador Michael Guest, and former San Francisco Supervisor Roberta Achtenberg. Most of his cabinet appointments, including Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State and Eric Holder as Attorney General, have favorable records on many gay rights issues. There's even a Web site run by the Gay and Lesbian Leadership Institute, http://www.glli.org/presidential, to help qualified LGBT persons apply for government positions under an Obama administration.

But beyond hiring key staff, the Obama team has put forward a number of LGBT rights goals for the next four years that could bring unprecedented victories to the gay rights movement throughout the country.

More......

Yep, we're really "progressing"........ :puke:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: First Gay President??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
A few months back, my little boy came home from Second Grade and said to me, "Guess what we learned today?" I said: "Rosa Parks." He said: "How did you know that?" I said: "Because it's always Rosa Parks."

To which I'd add:

What today's obnoxious gay brownshirts activists who dare to think of themselves as the next Rosa Parks don't get, is that Rosa Parks just wanted to sit at the front of the bus.

She didn't try to take the wheel and drive the thing in the opposite direction.

http://www.fivefeetoffury.com/:entry:fivefeet-2008-11-26-0006/

For some reason your story reminded me of this blog post.  :-)

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:12 PM »
I thought Taft or Wilson or one of those guys was already our first gay president.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »
I figure Clinton would have never turned down a BJ no matter who offered it.  He was probably our first bi president.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
I find that phrase "gay rights" to be just a wee bit troublesome.

Does that mean gays have rights over and beyond what straight people have? Is that what all the bellowing is about? Or do gays claim they don't have any of the "rights" that straights have?

Where is it written in the Constitution that it's a "right" to be married? Where is it written in the Constitution that "partners" have to have health care? Where is it written that gays are entitled to have children through surrogates?

I'm not gettin' this "gay rights" thing. Seems to me, if you decide you want to pack fudge, there's gonna be a price to pay for that - that ain't me talkin', that's just the way it IS.

BTW, I love the Rosa Parks analogy. Very, very fitting.

Anyway, back to bashing our first "gay" president-elect scumbag dirtbag shitbag douchebag.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
Way late.   James Buchannan.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!