Author Topic: Gov't Witness in Ted Stevens Trial: I Lied  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Gov't Witness in Ted Stevens Trial: I Lied
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »

were there is smoke, there is fire.  I am beginning to wonder not whether there was prosecutorial malfeasance in the steven's trial, but how much.  I don't think stevens was anything but dirty, mind you, but it looks like the prosecutor was over zealous on a pretty massive scale.

Witness in Ted Stevens Trial: I Lied
Prosecutors Dispute Gov't Witness Who Now Tells Judge He Was Promised Immunity In Exchange For Testimony
(AP) One of the government's witnesses against convicted Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska says he didn't tell the truth on the stand about an immunity deal with the Justice Department in exchange for his testimony. But federal prosecutors said Friday that his current story is the false one.

"I testified to the fact that there was never immunity for me or my family and friends," welder David Anderson said in a November letter to a federal judge placed in court files by Stevens' lawyers. "That is simply not true."

The Justice Department responded quickly, saying the government never made any agreement of immunity for Anderson or any of his family or friends.

"Mr. Anderson's statement in his November 2008 letter is not true, and the court is aware that it is not true," government lawyers said.

Stevens' lawyers have asked U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan to hold a hearing on Anderson's charges and to let them investigate it. It was not immediately known when Sullivan would make a ruling.

The Justice Department had no immediate comment.

more

Offline Peter3_1

Re: Gov't Witness in Ted Stevens Trial: I Lied
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
There is always a problem when an old time machine politician gets hauled before the bar. There is always the idea that enemies are taking advantage.

Look at Tom Delay, is it two years now after the Grand Jury, and still no trial date?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Gov't Witness in Ted Stevens Trial: I Lied
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:09 AM »
There is always a problem when an old time machine politician gets hauled before the bar. There is always the idea that enemies are taking advantage.

Look at Tom Delay, is it two years now after the Grand Jury, and still no trial date?

There never will be, either.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.