Author Topic: We are being played  (Read 3299 times)

Offline CC27

We are being played
« on: April 11, 2024, 11:51:38 AM »
angrychair (8,656 posts)

We are being played
At it most basic inflation is corporations raising prices because of increased expense to the corporation due to labor and/or raw materials inability to met demand.

That is not what is happening. Not to any significant extent that prices should be increasing across most/all business sectors.

Also if prices have gone up to offset increases in supply demands, profits would remain largely flat or companies financials would be a little worse than previous quarters because inflation is a lagging indicator. That is not happening.
Corporations are reporting record profits, repeatedly, quarter after quarter. Some have reported the largest quarterly profits in their history. Corporate stock buybacks are being done at a record pace. Corporations, collectively, have built up the largest cash reserves in US history.

None of this is the sign of an inflationary economy. Its is a sign that corporations are screwing the consumer and price gouging for profit. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of noted economists like Robert Reich.

We are being played.

hatrack (59,527 posts)
1. It's greed, and nothing else . . .

They're jacking up prices because they can, and here we are.

Thank God for Aldi!

B.See (1,138 posts)
3. Not just because they can, but also to help Trump re-occupy the Oval Office

Anyone not still living under a rock now KNOWS that corporations are price gouging consumers. And that's because they, and their wealthy corporate elite LIKE getting away with paying ZERO taxes and TRUMP/MAGA efforts to undermine and trash consumer protections.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218852167

Tons of stupid and denial on this thread.  This is all on Biden.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: We are being played
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 12:29:12 PM »
Not only stupidity and denial, but they live in fantasyland.

Some of them live in fairyland :lmao:

It’s unbelievable how they can’t see the truth or if they can depend over backwards to deny it to spell the party line
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:02 PM »
Meh. I'm not worried as I was told by experts that the inflation we are experiencing is just transitory.  ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 01:48:38 PM »
Dummy don’t understand there’s more expenses than labor and materials, there’s also electricity, rent, utilities, insurance and taxes. it all adds up and they don’t understand that.

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 03:04:30 PM »
Dummy don’t understand there’s more expenses than labor and materials, there’s also electricity, rent, utilities, insurance and taxes. it all adds up and they don’t understand that.

Don't forget the cost the unions are putting on the companies every time they go on strike and then possibly get more perks and wage increases.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 03:15:27 PM »
angrychair (8,656 posts)

We are being played
At it most basic inflation is corporations raising prices because of increased expense to the corporation due to labor and/or raw materials inability to met demand.

That is not what is happening. Not to any significant extent that prices should be increasing across most/all business sectors.

Also if prices have gone up to offset increases in supply demands, profits would remain largely flat or companies financials would be a little worse than previous quarters because inflation is a lagging indicator. That is not happening.
Corporations are reporting record profits, repeatedly, quarter after quarter. Some have reported the largest quarterly profits in their history. Corporate stock buybacks are being done at a record pace. Corporations, collectively, have built up the largest cash reserves in US history.

None of this is the sign of an inflationary economy. Its is a sign that corporations are screwing the consumer and price gouging for profit. This is not just my opinion but the opinion of noted economists like Robert Reich.

We are being played.

I'd be willing to bet my 401k that DUmmy "angrychair" couldn't comprehend even a basic balance sheet or income statement. Adding in the complexity of a major corporation's financial statements would leave them pulling their hair out.

Companies are in the business of making money, and they are comprised of shareholders, who are filtered the well-earned profits that the company makes. If say IBM reports $1 billion in operating profit, which is distributed according to one's level of investment. They aren't sitting on that cash like fat cats. Profits are also used to make future investments in the company via R&D and investing in upgrading PPE (property, plant and equipment).

Robert Reich and other idiot leftist economists like Paul Krugman are wrong 99% of the time. I can point you to plenty of reliable economists, but you're too locked into your mindset to accept anything from someone who doesn't toe the liberal talking points when it comes to understanding the economy.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 03:28:27 PM »
We are being played

Yes, by the Democratic Party, by the media... who else?

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 05:11:27 PM »
angrychair (8,656 posts)

We are being played...

Well, your own party doesn't refer to you as the Useful Idiots for nothing...  :thatsright:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 05:36:47 PM »

Maybe they would begin...slightly...to understand if it came out of their own pockets...having had to work for it.

I know that's a big maybe.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 06:03:28 PM »
And right on cue, "Sooper Genius" Paul Krugman today:

NYT columnist rejects polls saying Americans struggling in Biden economy: 'I’m OK, people I know are OK'

'The truth is that the U.S. economy is a remarkable success story. Don’t let anyone tell you that it isn’t,' Paul Krugman says

New York Times columnist Paul Krugman shrugged off the notion that most Americans are actually struggling in what he declared a "good economy" under President Biden, despite what they tell pollsters.

"I’m OK, people I know are OK, but somewhere out there it’s terrible," Krugman wrote Tuesday while blocking replies to his post on X.

Krugman shared a link to his Monday column titled "Good Economy, Negative Vibes: The Story Continues," where he began by saying "we’ve had so much winning that we’ve gotten tired of winning, or at any rate blasé about it" when it comes to economic news.

"Paul Krugman doesn't know any regular Americans, and so he and the rest of the corporate press mock and gaslight you while you struggle with your rent or mortgage, food and other living costs. Absolutely zero compassion or connection to reality," financial commentator Carol Roth reacted to Krugman's post.

"How much do you get paid to be this out of touch with normies?" Daily Caller editor-in-chief Mike Bastasch asked.

"Krugman is ok. He locked replies, so you can not tell him if your fiscal experience is otherwise," said Michelle Ray of the crypto company SmartFi.

Krugman's staunch defense of Biden's economy came just before the Biden administration acknowledged that inflation accelerated in March for the third straight month, exceeding expectations at 3.5% year over year.

"Last week, we got another terrific employment report — job growth for 39 straight months — and it feels as if hardly anyone noticed. In particular, it’s not clear whether the good news will dent the still widespread but false narrative that President Biden is presiding over a bad economy," Krugman told readers.

"Start with the facts: Job creation under Biden has been truly amazing, especially when you recall all those confident but wrong predictions of recession. Four years ago, the economy was body-slammed by the Covid-19 pandemic, but we have more than recovered. Four years after the start of the 2007-9 recession, total employment was still down by more than five million; now it’s up by almost six million. The unemployment rate has been below 4 percent for 26 months, the longest streak since the 1960s."

The Times columnist acknowledged the "surge" of inflation, something he immediately dismissed as having "mostly subsided" and pointed to a raise in wage earnings.

"Why, then, are so many Americans still telling pollsters that the economy is in bad shape?" Krugman asked. "More often than not, anyone who argues that we’re in a ‘vibecession,’ in which public perceptions are at odds with economic reality, gets tagged as an elitist, out of touch with people’s real-life experience. And there’s a whole genre of commentary to the effect that if you squint at the data hard enough, it shows that the economy really is bad, after all."

"Without question, there are Americans who are hurting financially — sadly, this is always true to some extent, especially given the weakness of America’s social safety net. But in general, Americans are relatively optimistic about their own finances," he continued.

The liberal economist attempted to find a silver lining, saying how polls show that despite Americans having a pessimistic view of the national economy, they are much more optimistic about their local economy.

"Basically, Americans are saying, ‘I’m doing OK, people I know are doing OK, but bad things are happening somewhere out there,’" Krugman took away from it. "What explains this disconnect? Inflation surely contributes to bad feelings about the economy. New research by Harvard’s Stefanie Stantcheva confirms an old insight: When both wages and prices are rising, people tend to believe that they earned their wage increases but that inflation took away their hard-won gains. However, inflation aversion doesn’t explain why people think their state is doing well but the nation is a mess."

Krugman went on to blame "partisanship" for Biden's poor economy polling, insisting via polling data that Republican partisanship is currently "much stronger" than Democrat partisanship under Republican presidents. 

"Republican politicians and media are united in trashing the Biden economy… Democrats, on the other hand, are divided, with some progressives talking down the economy because they fear that acknowledging the good news might undermine the case for strengthening that weak social safety net," Krugman wrote. "If you ask me, more progressives should celebrate the current economy, not just to help Biden get re-elected, but because economic success vindicates the progressive vision. I’d argue that Biden deserves some credit for the good news, but the more important point is that policies like the expansion of Obamacare and student debt relief have not, contrary to conservative predictions, dragged the economy down — which means that it’s OK to call for more."

"The truth is that the U.S. economy is a remarkable success story. Don’t let anyone tell you that it isn’t," Krugman added.

Clueless Krugman lib-splains the economy
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 07:15:10 PM »
I guess no one ever explained to the primitives that if you artificially print a bunch of money and introduce it into the system that it deflates all the other money that’s already legitimately in the system. The dollar loses value, and………… inflation.

I would try to explain it to them further, but it’d be like teaching a fish to ride a bicycle. No, thanks.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 08:45:40 PM »
angrychair (8,656 posts)

We are being played

We are being played.

Elections have consequences.

:ownit:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 09:25:15 PM »

And shipping. I'm in the distro side. That's been a HUGE part of it.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:08 AM »
DU-grade Progs know that inflation is real - prices are up, significantly, and still rising. It cannot be LIEden's and other governments' fault, so it must be a conspiracy of thousands of food and consumer goods companies to "get" LIEden.

Inflation is too much money chasing too few goods and services. Inflated prices for the commodities and labor used to produce and deliver goods and services will inflate the prices consumers/users pay for those goods and services. But DU-grade Progs dare not admit or even "see" this.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:00:54 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 10:42:53 AM »
"Krugman is ok. He locked replies, so you can not tell him if your fiscal experience is otherwise," said Michelle Ray of the crypto company SmartFi.

The truth to people like him is like a wooden steak through a vampire heart. They just can’t bear to hear that their policies have made a total bollocks of the economy. :rant: :rant: :rant:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 11:35:08 AM »
Inflation is too much money chasing too few goods and services. Inflated prices for the commodities and labor used to produce and deliver goods and services will inflate the prices consumers/users pay for those goods and services. But DU-grade Progs dare not admit or even "see" this.

We're taxed out the ass, when all they do is print money to cover their needs.......which devalues the money we're left with. We need a change, a secession, or a revolution. There is no getting out of this. We're adding 800B to the national debt every 100 days and there's no sign of it slowing, from either party. If I were to throw my tinfoil hat on, it would seem as if they're intentionally trying to sabotage the USD to force us onto a digital currency.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2024, 12:15:15 AM »
There's only one way to keep the ebil corporations in check:

More DU Boycotts!

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2024, 11:08:41 AM »
Yup. They are being played.

By krugman. Like a fiddle.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2024, 11:55:27 AM »
It’s unbelievable how they can’t see the truth or if they can depend over backwards to deny it to spell the party line

Having watched a couple of "Morning Joe" excerpts it's no wonder. Did you know that Uncle Joe is UP 9 points on Trump? Winning is assured! Amazing, huh?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2024, 02:37:54 PM »
Yup. They are being played.

By krugman. Like a fiddle.

Whose record for predictions is worse? Krugman's or mal's? :fuelfire:  :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024, 01:38:15 AM »
Whose record for predictions is worse? Krugman's or mal's? :fuelfire:  :tongue:

Let me make this pelucidly clear  :-)

It is hard comparing  bad of that magnitude.