Author Topic: Vatican 'vetoes' US envoy names  (Read 3355 times)

Offline thundley4

Vatican 'vetoes' US envoy names
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »

The Vatican has rejected at least three possible candidates proposed by Barack Obama to serve as US ambassador to the Holy See, say reliable sources in Rome.

None of the three candidates informally proposed by the Obama administration so far is acceptable to the Pope because of their support for abortion rights.

One of the potential nominees vetoed by the Vatican is Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the former US president.

Conservative Catholics in the US had already criticised her candidacy.

They say her outspoken pro-choice views on abortion made her an unsuitable choice.

The Vatican is unhappy about President Obama's support of abortion rights and his lifting of a previous ban on embryonic stem cell research in the US.
BBC

Caroline Kennedy-REJECTED ! !

I did not know that the host country could refuse an ambassador. I have heard of them being kicked out before, but that was not for a personal reason.  Good for the Pope.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Vatican 'vetoes' US envoy names
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
I am pleased.  It seems the bloom is off the Kennedy Vine.  It's about dang time. 

I know Caroline will not die penniless and selling pencils out of a metal cup, but it's nice to know purposeful rejection is in her face right now.  This coming after the senate slam must sting no end. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
I am pleased.  It seems the bloom is off the Kennedy Vine.  It's about dang time. 

I know Caroline will not die penniless and selling pencils out of a metal cup, but it's nice to know purposeful rejection is in her face right now.  This coming after the senate slam must sting no end. 
Bless her heart.   :innocent:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »
Bless her heart.   :innocent:

Lord love 'er.

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »
I don't have much use for Caroline Kennedy, because she is pro-abort and is completely unqualified for just about everything.

But this thing looks like a snub. I wonder if the Vatican thinks this will damage US-Vatican relations. Seems like it would do so. Or do they not care?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
I don't have much use for Caroline Kennedy, because she is pro-abort and is completely unqualified for just about everything.

But this thing looks like a snub. I wonder if the Vatican thinks this will damage US-Vatican relations. Seems like it would do so. Or do they not care?

Looking at it the other way, If this administration keeps trying to appoint pro abortion people as envoys to the Vatican, it looks like they are intentionally insulting the Vatican.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »
Looking at it the other way, If this administration keeps trying to appoint pro abortion people as envoys to the Vatican, it looks like they are intentionally insulting the Vatican.
Bingo.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.