Author Topic: Unsung Braves built for October  (Read 9699 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Unsung Braves built for October
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »
We take you back in time to the first week of March. The 2008 Grapefruit League was only a few days old. But a National League scout already had caught on to something that hadn't yet dawned on the rest of the hemisphere.

He'd just returned from watching the new, improved Atlanta Braves. It didn't take him long to make this important announcement:

"They're back."

In only 54 games for the Braves in 2007, Mark Teixeira slugged 17 home runs, drove in 56 runs, and had an 1.019 OPS.
And they are. Consider this a warning -- to you and the rest of the National League East. They're back.

It's been 2½ years since the Braves last played a postseason game. It's been 13 years since they won the only World Series of their 14-year rampage as division champions. It's been 17 years since the Braves of John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Steve Avery and Charlie Leibrandt made their first foray into October in the Bobby Cox-John Schuerholz era.

But it wouldn't shock anybody -- anybody -- who has seen them this spring if this Braves team turns out to be as good as any of those teams. And by that we mean: The Braves -- yeah, the Braves -- are our pick to win the World Series.

Go ahead. Call us nuts. Start typing those e-mails lecturing us on why the Red Sox, Yankees, Indians, Tigers, Mets, Phillies, Cubs, Rockies, yada yada yada are better than this team. Maybe they are. All we know is, while 98 percent of the planet was busy obsessing on those clubs, the Atlanta Braves built themselves a tremendous team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview08/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3320120

:fuelfire: :fuelfire: :fuelfire: :fuelfire:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Unsung Braves built for October
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:02:36 AM »
Of their now four losses, the pen has every single one.  Not bad!  :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »
I knew that would get a reaction from you.  All of New York Jesus' losses are to the Braves.  :tongue:

So how about the Hampton - Martinez competition for starts?  Neck and neck out of the gate.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
I knew that would get a reaction from you.  All of New York Jesus' losses are to the Braves.  :tongue:

So how about the Hampton - Martinez competition for starts?  Neck and neck out of the gate.

Martinez threw 57 pitches in a game.  Hampton threw 23 in warmups before the game.

Point to the Mets . . .  :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »

you guys want andruw jones back, by any chance?   :-)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »

Martinez threw 57 pitches in a game.  Hampton threw 23 in warmups before the game.

Point to the Mets . . .  :tongue:

I told you the spread would be Pedro minus 5 starts. :-)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »

Hell no.  Andruw went straight from about 8 years of potential to overrated.  Throw him 3 curve balls and watch him strike out in three straight pitches.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »

Hell no.  Andruw went straight from about 8 years of potential to overrated.  Throw him 3 curve balls and watch him strike out in three straight pitches.

his thing this year appears to be sliders.  none of the opposing pitchers have had to throw him an out-and-out curve ball yet;  he doesn't get that deep in the count. :-)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »

his thing this year appears to be sliders.  none of the opposing pitchers have had to throw him an out-and-out curve ball yet;  he doesn't get that deep in the count. :-)
Slider, curveball, splitter, anything other than fastball will do just fine.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »

I think they did throw him one fastball last night.  he swung and missed.  it was in the left handed batters box.  I dunno, maybe he saw a gnat and was trying to kill it.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »

I think they did throw him one fastball last night.  he swung and missed.  it was in the left handed batters box.  I dunno, maybe he saw a gnat and was trying to kill it.

Andruw is not a bad abll player.  He just is what he is.  Around .260 35HR 90 - 110 RBI LOTS of K's,  good glove

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Andruw is not a bad abll player.  He just is what he is.  Around .260 35HR 90 - 110 RBI LOTS of K's,  good glove

LA is $36M (or whatever) into him, so I wasn't passing judgment on him (yet). :-)  I certainly hope that he works out, but he's going to look back on last years numbers as the "good old days" if he doesn't get this figured out soon.  I simply cannot overstate how horrible he has looked in the first week of the season.  I dunno, you tell me, is he a slow starter?

oddly enough, andruw jones was considered the answer to the mistake LA management made the year before in CF with juan pierre.  I truly hope that we haven't just gone on to a bigger, better mistake.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »

LA is $36M (or whatever) into him, so I wasn't passing judgment on him (yet). :-)  I certainly hope that he works out, but he's going to look back on last years numbers as the "good old days" if he doesn't get this figured out soon.  I simply cannot overstate how horrible he has looked in the first week of the season.  I dunno, you tell me, is he a slow starter?

oddly enough, andruw jones was considered the answer to the mistake LA management made the year before in CF with juan pierre.  I truly hope that we haven't just gone on to a bigger, better mistake.

You never know with Andruw, he'll come out strong and fade.  Other times he'll start slow and surge.  You never know what you'll get, but he's not a centerpiece for a franchise or worth the kind of money the Dodgers are paying him.  If Shurholz makes no attempt to sign you back, then you are not worth the money you'll get paid.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »

You never know with Andruw, he'll come out strong and fade.  Other times he'll start slow and surge.  You never know what you'll get, but he's not a centerpiece for a franchise or worth the kind of money the Dodgers are paying him.  If Shurholz makes no attempt to sign you back, then you are not worth the money you'll get paid.

ah, well, then I suppose you don't want to even listen to my offer for our general manager. :-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »
Ah, the plot thickens . . .  :-) :tongue:

BRAVES REPORT: Shortage of starters worsens

By Carroll Rogers
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/14/08

Washington —- The Braves will wait to make a decision whether to put Tom Glavine on the disabled list with his right hamstring strain, but this much was clear Sunday: As deep as their rotation looked breaking spring training, it's looking thinner now.

Mike Hampton is eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday from a strained pectoral muscle, but he is just beginning to throw again. Chuck James is back in Class AAA Richmond to work on control issues after making one start. The Braves skipped a fifth starter this time through the rotation, and now they might have to come up with a fourth as well.

Both Jo-Jo Reyes and Buddy Carlyle would be options from Richmond if Glavine has to miss his turn Friday against Los Angeles.

As for the fifth spot, which comes up on Saturday, manager Bobby Cox indicated before Sunday's game that he had been considering long reliever Jeff Bennett. That might have changed Sunday after a nearly disastrous second inning for Bennett.

Looks like the Mets aren't the only ones with rotation worries . . .  :tongue: :fuelfire:

The rest is at:

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

Washington —- The Braves will wait to make a decision whether to put Tom Glavine on the disabled list with his right hamstring strain, but this much was clear Sunday: As deep as their rotation looked breaking spring training, it's looking thinner now.

Mike Hampton is eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday from a strained pectoral muscle, but he is just beginning to throw again. Chuck James is back in Class AAA Richmond to work on control issues after making one start. The Braves skipped a fifth starter this time through the rotation, and now they might have to come up with a fourth as well.

Both Jo-Jo Reyes and Buddy Carlyle would be options from Richmond if Glavine has to miss his turn Friday against Los Angeles.

As for the fifth spot, which comes up on Saturday, manager Bobby Cox indicated before Sunday's game that he had been considering long reliever Jeff Bennett. That might have changed Sunday after a nearly disastrous second inning for Bennett.

Looks like the Mets aren't the only ones with rotation worries . . .  :tongue: :fuelfire:

The rest is at:

It's early, they just need the rest. :innocent:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

'Course, they could sign a free agent to a deal . . . like Roger the 'Roid . . .  :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

'Course, they could sign a free agent to a deal . . . like Roger the 'Roid . . .  :tongue:
I'd take 'em.

Of course looking at the standings....
2008 National League - Standings
EAST W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA STRK L10
Florida 7 5 .583 - 3-3 4-2 56 70 Lost 2 6-4
Philadelphia 6 7 .462 1.5 3-3 3-4 59 62 Lost 1 5-5
NY Mets 5 6 .455 1.5 3-3 2-3 58 47 Lost 2 4-6
Atlanta 5 7 .417 2 3-2 2-5 67 52 Lost 1 5-5
Washington 4 9 .308 3.5 2-5 2-4 51 70 Won 1 1-9

We both better do something different. :hammer:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

I'd take 'em.

look at the bright side; you both get to play LA in the next few weeks. :-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

I'd take 'em.

Three wins each for the Mets and Braves!

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

I'd take 'em.

:-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

I'd take 'em.

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:

Point to Wretch!

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »

By Carroll Rogers

The rest is at:

I'd take 'em.

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:

Point to Wretch!

oh, as loud as the suckage is coming from chavez ravine, I'm not precluding the possibility of 0-6, or 2-4 for the two series :whatever:.  it just hasn't happened quite yet. :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »

oh, as loud as the suckage is coming from chavez ravine, I'm not precluding the possibility of 0-6, or 2-4 for the two series :whatever:.  it just hasn't happened quite yet. :-)

Hey, we can always hope Jones starts batting his weight...  I mean, its ot like $37 million couldn't buy some talent or something...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »

Hey, we can always hope Jones starts batting his weight...

or gets as many base hits as hooters girls. :-)  hey, wanna trade joneses? :hyper: