Author Topic: I hope this isn't anyone's mole from here. RE: 777 crash in SF  (Read 1459 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: I hope this isn't anyone's mole from here. RE: 777 crash in SF
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
Since you are afraid of flying, if you have a trip coming up and your coworkers offer you a glass of milk, don't drink it you will wake up with a bad attitude.

:-)

Take. The. Milk.

I have seen what happens when you do not take the milk...unless you like needles or a 2x4 to the back of the head.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Airwolf

Re: Re: I hope this isn't anyone's mole from here. RE: 777 crash in SF
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »
Since you are afraid of flying, if you have a trip coming up and your coworkers offer you a glass of milk, don't drink it you will wake up with a bad attitude.

You mean like this?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zgQGfBOnh8[/youtube]
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
FWIW everything I've heard about this event so far leads me to believe that there was nothing structurally or mechanically wrong with 214.

It was just a botched approach, the thing that I am having trouble getting my head around is that there was supposedly 4 pilots in the cockpit during that approach.

The way I understand it is that they were 7 seconds out before it was noted that they were too low and too slow and 1.5 seconds out before any move was made to go around. How could there not have been 1 or 2 pilots that were stomping on their imaginary brakes.

I assume that the cockpit recording will come out soon enough but I just have to wonder if it had anything to do with Korean culture.   
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
^Bingo.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »
^Bingo.

Shouldn't the tower be on top of stuff like this?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
Shouldn't the tower be on top of stuff like this?
Actually they are very observant about landing aircraft, but they are admonished to not try to fly the aircraft over the radio. If a tower controller or supervisor had enough foresight he could have told Asianair to go around. If that radio call was made early enough in the botched visual approach that may have pulled the chestnuts out of the proverbial fire. But there is no guarantee that the next approach would have been any better.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Re: I hope this isn't anyone's mole from here. RE: 777 crash in SF
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »
I presume that helicopters are out of the question, too.  :tongue: :fuelfire:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Both ya all can just bite me!!!!    :tongue: :tongue:

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
I'll take a stab at it...I remember watching a documentary on the crash at Tenerife back in the 70's.  One of the contributing factors of the KLM jet was the near iron-clad attitude of never, EVER questioning the pilot.  The KLM pilot in question was a very senior guy and was very much of the attitude that everyone else was not to question him.

Now consider the deference in Asian cultures towards the senior or head person.  It's very rude and bad form to correct a senior, even when they are wrong, as it would cost the senior person face.  So it's entirely possible that there were in fact some of the pilots who knew they were too low and slow but were so afraid to correct the more senior but less experienced pilot until it was too late.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
^Spot on.