Author Topic: They confuse me. RE: mandate  (Read 1193 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
They confuse me. RE: mandate
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
trumad (30,476 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

So just 2 percent would be subjected to the Health Care mandate. 2 percent.

WASHINGTON -- Just 2 percent of the U.S. population would be subject to the aspect of health care reform at the center of a constitutional challenge before the Supreme Court this week -- the individual mandate, a study released Monday by the Urban Institute found. The analysis said 98 percent of Americans would either be exempt from the mandate -- because of employer coverage, public health insurance or low income -- or given subsidies to comply.

Including those who are subject to the mandate, but would get subsidies, increases the total number of people affected to 5 percent of the population, according to the Urban Institute, a non-partisan policy research organization based in Washington, D.C.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/26/health-care-mandate-urban-institute_n_1381211.html

waiminutwaiminutwaiminut

We were told we needed ObamaCoup because millions Americans die every year due to lack of coverage. Some 9% to 15% we were told.

The mandate is supposed to make sure those who do not have coverage purchase it so the regular payers aren't stuck paying for everything.

But if only 2% of the population would be subject ot the mandate then only 2% of the population is currently going without insurance.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002477243#post2
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: They confuse me. RE: mandate
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
The DUmmie Fact For Today and Today Only.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
Total crap.  Once the mandate kicks in, employer-provided insurance will dry up because it will become too costly to support as a benefit.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Elspeth

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
For 2% of the population, they're willing to revolutionize the American way of health care.  The money would have been better spent on setting up low cost (or free) clinics in a small number of state facilities strategically placed.  Maybe a roving force of doctors, nurses, and dentists for rural and poor areas.

No one sets up a new system for 2% of the population.  The uninsured were a red herring. The real plan is to change the system entirely, and the uninsured were used as a bludgeon so the rest of us would give away our health freedoms.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
This jberryhill primitive is a supurb idiot.

Quote from:
CAPHAVOC

3. Interesting

I heard this morning about the argument that ACA will destroy the Contract Law. A policy is a contract. A contract is invalid if one party is coerced or forced to sign it under duress. Signing up or paying a fine? That is for sure duress and coercion in my book. I do not think having group insurance would exempt one from the law. If the company cancels the group policy the person would be mandated to enter in to a contract with an insurance company or pay the fine to the IRS. They can avoid the fine only while they have the group policy.

Quote from:
jberryhill

7. That argument is asinine

There are a number of situations in life where the choice is "do X or pay a fine".

jberryhill

9. Do I know what a contract is?

Yes. I write contracts all day. That's what I do for a living.

A mortgage is a contract.

Get a mortgage, get a tax deduction.

Don't get a mortgage, don't get a tax deduction.

OMG, it's the end of the world, the guy without the mortgage pays higher taxes.

That's how silly this duress argument is.

Try driving a car without insurance.

Too easy.  No one is forced to purchase a home, therefore those who don't are not entitled to the benefits of home ownership, including tax deductions.

If one chooses to drive a car, they must have insurance.  Don't want to be forced to buy car insurance?  Then don't drive.

This health law forces people to enter into a contract just because they're alive.  If the gov't can do that, they can force you to contract against your will in any number of different ways just because you're alive.

Quote from:
jberryhill

13. What's the difference in relation to the relevant point

The point being made is that a contract which one had to purchase is void.

That's just ridiculous, and is a serious misunderstanding of the very narrow defense of duress in contract law.

In some areas plumbing work can only be done by licensed plumbers. So, if your pipes spring a leak, you have to hire a licensed plumber to fix it. Do you then turn around and say, "Oh, I don't have to pay the plumber because I was under duress?"

It's just a silly argument.

False.  If your pipes leak, you are NOT forced to hire a plumber and fix it.  You have the option of cutting off your water or just continue to let it leak.  The gov't doesn't force you to hire anyone.

Quote from:
jberryhill

14. ROFL

First off, you do not need to purchase insurance to get a driver's license.

You are totally misunderstanding the defense of duress.

IF *I* force you to enter into a contract with me which you would not have entered into but for the fact that *I* forced you into it, then you have a defense to your contract with me.

And that's what is happening with healthcare, idiot.

Quote from:
However, if your pipes spring a leak and your basement is going to flood unless you hire a plumber, you do not have a right to void the contract with the plumber you hire to fix it. You could have hired any plumber. No plumber forced you to hire them.

You are completely missing where the "duress" comes from.

In my area, you have to contract for trash pickup with any of several private trash services. Nobody is getting out from under those contracts by claiming duress because NONE of the private trash services is forcing anyone to contract with them.

False.  You do not have to contract for trash pickup where you live at all.  You can choose to carry your trash to a local landfill yourself.

Quote from:
But, just so I understand you....

You are walking through a field near town and a rattlesnake bites you in the leg. You are going to die unless you get an anti-venom injection. There is one doctor in town who has it, so you go to his office. He gives you the injection, and hands you a bill for his regular fee. You then turn around and say, "There was no contract, I was under duress!"

False.  You can choose not to have the doctor do anything and just take your chances.

This jberryhill primitive idiot doesn't need to be doing anything but pushing up daisies.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
Plumbers may have to be licensed but homeowners do not and can do their own repairs.

Offline Elspeth

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
Total crap.  Once the mandate kicks in, employer-provided insurance will dry up because it will become too costly to support as a benefit.

That may have been the plan.  Make it too costly to keep it private.  Government-controlled insurance will be the only game in town.

The 2% uninsured were always a red herring.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »
jberryhill

9. Do I know what a contract is?

Yes. I write contracts all day. That's what I do for a living.

A mortgage is a contract.

That's how silly this duress argument is.

Try driving a car without insurance.

You only get a tax deduction when you get a mortgage if you meet certain criteria. You don't automatically get a tax deduction just because you take out a mortgage.

And plus, a lack of a tax deduction is not the same as a fine.

And finally you are a stupid idiot. I chose not to live under your rule.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

This. Private companies can't run in the red forever nor can they print their own money.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »
But DUmmies are either too stupid to realize that or being dishonest. Take your pick.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
But, just so I understand you....

You are walking through a field near town and a rattlesnake bites you in the leg. You are going to die unless you get an anti-venom injection. There is one doctor in town who has it, so you go to his office. He gives you the injection, and hands you a bill for his regular fee. You then turn around and say, "There was no contract, I was under duress!"
Actually, this is exactly the scenario we are arguing should be allowed.  I need a doctor, I see a doctor, I pay the doctor.  No insurance, no middle man, just me and the doctor.  Instead,  my government has decided to force every citizen to purchase a product from a private company.  Just imagine what they'll decide to force everyone to purchase next... 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.

It's a floorwax.
It's a dessert topping.
It's a floorwax.
It's a dessert topping.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »
The more insurance is used for standard procedures that should be paid for separately, the higher insurance rates go.  If insurance refused to cover petty and routine thing like vaccinations, blood tests, and check-ups, going to see a doctor might be more affordable.

Insurance is nothing more than a guarantee of payment.  If you don't have insurance, there's no guarantee the doctor will receive payment for his (or her) services.  If you have insurance, the doctor has already agreed with the the insurer what he (or she) will be reimbursed for their work.  If you walk in with empty pockets and say "FIX ME!" like every other irresponsible, illegal, uninsured, broke-ass mother****er, the doctor is going to charge you commensurably to recoup his (or her) services regardless of if your broke ass intends to pay him (or her) at all.

An example... I called my ophthalmologist to schedule a checkup.  I asked what the "cash" price was to have him take a look at my eyes.  The quote?  $500.  $500 just to walk in the damn door.  I told them I was a return patient... they lowered their price to $150.  Now, I have insurance and my copay is about $25, but someone still has to pay that $500.  You have to ask where does all this start?  It starts from people not paying for routine medical care and checkups and leaving doctors to haggle with insurance companies to earn a living.  Who the hell wants that?

By the way, Ted Kennedy authored the first HMO legislation in Congress in  1968.  Take it up with him.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Star Member jberryhill
14. But, just so I understand you....

Hmm, just so I understand you, I'm driving back home to Mississippi. My engine blows. I have it towed to an auto shop. They repair it, which includes a complete overhaul, gaskets, bearings, and all. He gives me a bill. What the ****! I didn't sign a contract!

They could have just let your DUmmie ass die, idiot. I can see people having to sign promissory notes before service if you idiots get your way. DUmbasses. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »

Hmmmm...seems to me someone forgot that the deduction for mortgage interest doesn't even come close to the amount of property taxes I pay.  IOW, if I DEDUCT the $10,000/year from my taxable income, at the 28 percent bracket, I'm getting a tax break of $2800.  But when I live in a state where I pay over $5000/year in property taxes....not so great a "deal", eh DUmmies?

Oh, ****--DUmmie logic fails yet again.

And for the record, I don't base my taxes on deductions I may or may not get.  I base my taxes on my ****ing INCOME, you dolts.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
DUmmies expect free houses to fall from the sky because someone else within spitting distance is paying property taxes for them.

Give them free stuff or they'll be mad at you.  Really mad, you guys.  They mean it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Elspeth

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »

Hmmmm...seems to me someone forgot that the deduction for mortgage interest doesn't even come close to the amount of property taxes I pay.  IOW, if I DEDUCT the $10,000/year from my taxable income, at the 28 percent bracket, I'm getting a tax break of $2800.  But when I live in a state where I pay over $5000/year in property taxes....not so great a "deal", eh DUmmies?

Oh, ****--DUmmie logic fails yet again.

And for the record, I don't base my taxes on deductions I may or may not get.  I base my taxes on my ****ing INCOME, you dolts.

You can tell that person has never owned a house. :)

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 05:23:52 AM »
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.
It's a tax.
It's a penalty.

:lmao:

It's a contract.
It's a mandate.
It's a contract.
It's a mandate.

:lmao:

It's a floorwax.
It's a dessert topping.
It's a floorwax.
It's a dessert topping.

:lmao:   :lol:

IT'S BOTH!!!!!

:rotf:

http://www.electstevedawes.com/
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
If one chooses to drive a car, they must have insurance.  Don't want to be forced to buy car insurance?  Then don't drive.

This example is being used a lot by both sides (For slightly different reasons, the Dems to say it's like car insurance the sane to say it is different) but in most states, you are not technically required to have insurance, you are required to prove 'Financial responsibility' - an insurance card is the EASIEST was to do that, but there are generally other means such as posting a bond or (Usually in the case of businesses) that you have the assets to be a self-insurer.  The DUmmies are therefore making an inaccurate analogy (With their typical flair for defective thinking, hardly a surprise). 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30:10 AM »
So **** the constitution for the 2%?  That's what I read.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline jukin

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
This example is being used a lot by both sides (For slightly different reasons, the Dems to say it's like car insurance the sane to say it is different) but in most states, you are not technically required to have insurance, you are required to prove 'Financial responsibility' - an insurance card is the EASIEST was to do that, but there are generally other means such as posting a bond or (Usually in the case of businesses) that you have the assets to be a self-insurer.  The DUmmies are therefore making an inaccurate analogy (With their typical flair for defective thinking, hardly a surprise). 

Nice catch but this is the party of the smartest president in history that does not understands the difference between comprehensive and collision auto insurance...or for that matter who is at fault when someone rear ends you.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
waiminutwaiminutwaiminut

We were told we needed ObamaCoup because millions Americans die every year due to lack of coverage. Some 9% to 15% we were told.

The mandate is supposed to make sure those who do not have coverage purchase it so the regular payers aren't stuck paying for everything.

But if only 2% of the population would be subject ot the mandate then only 2% of the population is currently going without insurance.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002477243#post2

Last I heard it was 11 to 15 million outa 311 million. I make that to be right around 10%, right? O'Bummer and his minions are full of shit!

It has been pointed out the majority of this 10% don't want it, 'cause they are young, and just don't think they need it, (I never had health insurance until I was in my late 30's), or they are rich enough to pay cash, anyway! In actuality, you're right, it's about 2% who are too lazy to work and be responsible for their own bad habits!

If I could afford it, I sure as hell wouldn't bother with insurance, it's a major pain in the ass! Now that I'm nearin' 60, it's a damn good idea!

Costs me and "Toots" about 350 bucks a month to pay for Blue Cross, which ain't all that great, but hey, they do pay for my drugs, heh! It was nice to have when my pancreas shut down, too!!!

(edited, 'cause I seem to be all thumbs today!)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:24:32 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
Last I heard it was 11 to 15 million outa 311 million. I make that to be right around 10%, right? O'Bummer and his minions are full of shit!

It has been pointed out the majority of this 10% don't want it, 'cause they are young, and just don't think they need it, (I never had health insurance until I was in my late 30's), or they are rich enough to pay cash, anyway! In actuality, you're right, it's about 2% who are too lazy to work and be responsible for their own bad habits!

If I could afford it, I sure as hell wouldn't bother with insurance, it's a major pain in the ass! Now that I'm nearin' 60, it's a damn good idea!

Costs me and "Toots" about 350 bucks a month to pay for Blue Cross, which ain't all that great, but hey, they do pay for my drugs, heh! It was nice to have when my pancreas shut down, too!!!

(edited, 'cause I seem to be all thumbs today!)

11 to 15 million out of 311 million is 3% or so to about 5%.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »

Also, you don't have to buy a car. Therefore you aren't forced to buy auto insurance if you decide you don't want a car.