Author Topic: One-time polls are stupid...except this one  (Read 401 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
One-time polls are stupid...except this one
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
highplainsdem (9,430 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Daily Kos/SEIU State of the Nation Poll: The sky isn't falling—Obama bounces upward

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/13/1073989/-Daily-Kos-SEIU-State-of-the-Nation-Poll-The-sky-isn-t-falling-Obama-bounces-upward

Public Policy Polling for Daily Kos & SEIU. 3/8-11. Registered voters. MoE ±3.1% (Obama trendlines 3/1-4, all others 2/23-26):

FAVORABLE UNFAVORABLE NET CHANGE
PRESIDENT OBAMA 48 (47) 47 (49) 3
DEMOCRATIC PARTY 44 (44) 47 (47) 0
REPUBLICAN PARTY 31 (31) 56 (57) 1

APPROVE DISAPPROVE NET CHANGE
PRESIDENT OBAMA 48 (46) 49 (50) 3
HARRY REID 21 (19) 45 (49) 6
MITCH MCCONNELL 18 (16) 43 (43) 2

This is why you should never, ever trust just a single poll to tell you what's happening with the state of the nation. Two surveys released on Monday to great fanfare—one from the New York Times, the other from the Washington Post—both showed Barack Obama's approval rating falling. Both polls got a lot of attention and provoked a lot of consternation. I even got a worried email from my mother.

But one poll does not a trend make. And two polls from different polling outfits don't make a trend either, since you need to compare apples to apples: the NYT's new numbers to their old, and likewise for the WaPo. Wait until next month's surveys, at least, before concluding that there's some genuine downward movement to Obama's numbers. After all, the president may very well bounce back by then, and all this wailing will look rather foolish.

-snip-

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002419538

Remain calm, all is well!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: One-time polls are stupid...except this one
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! :tongue: :lmao: :rotf: :rofl:

ETA:  Especially when gas prices continue to rise! :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:28:46 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
The DUmp didn't have much to say (K&R), so I went to Kos.  They spent a lot of time bragging to each other about how little gas they have to buy due to their electric toy cars. 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
Of course the poll numbers for Obama and Democrats are awesome, it's not like gas prices, unemployment, spending and the misery index are high.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
Reid is only up by a couple of points from the big, scary GOP boogeyman.

Doesn't say much for Harry Reid.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Let me take a wild stab at the poll internals:

Communists: 26
Demokrats: 45
Independents: 19
Republicans: 10

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
Let me take a wild stab at the poll internals:

Communists: 26
Demokrats: 45
Independents: 19
Republicans: 10
Too many indepenents.  More like 9. :-)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline RWKindaGuy

• Hiding in the hinterlands as a professional
  • One giant rightward step for mankind
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
Too many indepenents.  More like 9. :-)

And all registered voters, not likely voters.  Nothing like having a bunch of drunk/high college students skewing the numbers.