Author Topic: primitives discuss falling mileage on their vehicles  (Read 1550 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss falling mileage on their vehicles
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=310x789

Hmmm.

I really wish the primitives would come over here, register, and ask their questions in the excellent automotive forum, where they're more likely to get credible advice, as compared with Skins's island.

PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-29-07 09:29 PM
Original message

Whassup with gas mileage? The last four months, my mileage has sucked.

I used to get 350 miles on a tank (Honda Accord EX-6 cy, 2001 sedan). Now I can't get 300.

I took it to the dealer, they said they found nothing wrong on the diagnostics. I ran a search and found that lots of other people are having similar drops in mileage. I drive 100 miles a day. I can't afford to have my mileage drop this badly. I'm thinking of adding acetone, 2-3 oz a tank, to see if it helps.

The only thing I did different was buy new tires - but they aren't that different from the old tires.

Ideas???

Will acetone help?

I think the Bush administration is behind this. LOL

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)       Fri Aug-31-07 11:29 PM
Response to Original message

1. It has A LOT to do with the 10% methanol added to your tank helps keep the emissions down they think, and robs you of power and gas mileage. Fall comes, methanol gone.

PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Sat Sep-01-07 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. So all gasoline has Methanol? I thought it was only certain gas and it was ethanol, not methanol.

benEzra  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-16-08 08:28 PM
Response to Reply #2

9. Usually ethanol in most states, I think.

And they can put in up to 10% ethanol without telling you. The problem is, ethanol has much lower energy density than gasoline (like 50% less energy for the same volume), so 10% ethanol will instantly drop your gas mileage 5% even if absolutely nothing else changes.

taught_me_patience  (868 posts)      Thu Sep-06-07 02:53 PM
Response to Original message

3. Poor gas mileage is symptom that something is wrong

The dealer probably just ran a diagnotic test and found no codes. Your car is at an age where a basic tune-up might be necessary. You want to rule out the cheap things first:

Air filter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Timing (although this shouldn't be a problem with today's direct injection engines)
Tire pressure
Wheel alignment

Other things to ask:

Are you doing more city driving? V6 motors get way worse city mileage than highway.
Are you using the AC more? I get 450 miles w/0 ac on my accord and 390 miles w/AC.
Is your transmission slipping? This will cause a severe loss of gas mileage
Is the car overheating?
How do your brakes feel? Dragging brakes can cause bad gas mileage
Have you changed brands or octane of the gas you buy? Higher octane = lower mileage. Accords do not need 91.
Does your engine sound the same as before?

Putting acetone in the car will not help. Its like giving cough medicine to a sick child. It might mask the problem but will not solve the cause.

PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-07-07 01:04 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I had the car tuned up.

Spark plugs are great - perfect.

Fuel injectors are clean.

Air filter is new

Timing belt is fine

Wheels are in alignment and tires are fairly new, with 29.5 psi in each tire.

I drive 100 miles a day on a freeway, with very little city driving. I have the AC on, because I'm an asthmatic.

The transmission was just serviced and it was found to be perfect. It isn't slipping. My car is not overheating.

My brakes? They are fine, but the brake shoes are always getting warped. I don't understand why. I've noticed a little bounce again in my brakes this week, meaning it will be time again to turn or replace rotors soon.

I have been buying gasoline at one of three gas statons - I was buying at Wal-Mart until someone told me it had ethanol, so I started buying at another location.

I honestly did see a drop from Wal-Mart gas, but just a little.

The V6 engine uses more gas. If I had a 4cyl it would be a lot better. But 22.5 mpg (my last tank) is just terrible gas mileage.

I should be getting at least 26-27.

And I've been slowing down and going the speed limit to see if that makes a difference, and guess what? It didn't.

I did see a noticeable difference when I used acetone, a bounce from 20 mpg to 24. But that was only one tank.

Now it has settled down to 22.5 or so.

taught_me_patience  (868 posts)      Fri Sep-07-07 01:19 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. Sounds like the car should be in good shape

I have one last suspicion. Your car sounds like it has a lot of miles. Your mechanic should do a compression test and a leakdown test to determine the condition of your pistons and cylinders. Many times, valves can become worn out and leak compression, which gives you less power. Your car then has to work harder to maintain the same speed.

It might be simply bad gas, but V6 Honda Accords should be getting more than 22 hwy mpg.

PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Fri Sep-07-07 05:54 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. Thanks for the ideas.

I'll have my mechanic do that. But, here's a query - say he finds something wrong with the compression. What are we talking? A new engine? What will this cost me?

Somehow, it just struck franksolich; it can't be anything but.....the compression.

Based upon not any knowledge of mechanics, but upon the usual customary primitive bad luck.

taught_me_patience  (868 posts)      Thu Sep-13-07 01:23 PM
Response to Reply #6

7. It depends on what it is

If it is the pistons or rings then it's going to be a lot ($2,500-$3,500) or so. If it is the valves, then not too bad. ($500)

PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Sun Oct-14-07 12:58 PM
Response to Reply #7

8. It would take me a long time to recoup that expense.

So it looks like I'll be buying a new car first. Thanks for the reply, though.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss falling mileage on their vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
The V6 engine uses more gas. If I had a 4cyl it would be a lot better. But 22.5 mpg (my last tank) is just terrible gas mileage

Guess they didn`t check the facts (surprise)

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
        city/highway/average                            20/28/24
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2001/gap0116.html

Add in the age and wear and it would seem to be about average.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:17:11 PM by Carl »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
The V6 engine uses more gas. If I had a 4cyl it would be a lot better. But 22.5 mpg (my last tank) is just terrible gas mileage

Guess they didn`t check the facts (surprise)

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
        city/highway/average                            20/28/24
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new/reviews/2001/gap0116.html

Add in the age and wear and it would seem to be about average.

In Skin-ville, cars don't age.  They just get sabotaged by the BFEE.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »
In all of the 7  years that I had my Accord, mine never got worse gas mileage on it  :whatever: I also had it serviced routinely and right on schedule, too.

Although they say that everything is in tip top condition, they are full of shit somehow...per usual.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:18 PM »
In all of the 7  years that I had my Accord, mine never got worse gas mileage on it  :whatever: I also had it serviced routinely and right on schedule, too.

Although they say that everything is in tip top condition, they are full of shit somehow...per usual.
Regular oil changes preempt a lot of trouble. 

But even in today's world, 7 years isn't "old."  I think the DUmmies are trying to compare mileage on their 1980's K-cars.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »
My mileage changed a little when we went to the ultra low sulfur diesel.  But, heck, I'm still getting 42 so I ain't complaining.   :-)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:31:35 AM »
My mileage changed a little when we went to the ultra low sulfur diesel.  But, heck, I'm still getting 42 so I ain't complaining.   :-)

I took some Beano and that cleared that problem up.