Author Topic: Democrats Want to Change a 181-Year-Old Rule to Allow Religious Headwear in the  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211447164

sheshe2
Democrats Want to Change a 181-Year-Old Rule to Allow Religious Headwear in the House

As they prepare to welcome two newly-elected Muslim women into the 116th Congress, Democrats have proposed a clarification to a 181-year-old rule banning representatives from wearing hats on the House floor.

If approved, the new rules would allow lawmakers to wear religious headwear, like hijabs and kippahs, once Democrats take control of the chamber in January.

Representative-elect Ilhan Omar, one of the first two Muslim women to serve in Congress, wears a headscarf. She was born in Somalia and came to the United States as a refugee.

Tweet;

Ilhan Omar

@IlhanMN
 No one puts a scarf on my head but me. It’s my choice—one protected by the first amendment.

And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift. http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/hats-congress-religious-garb-exception?bt_ee=ONRQahIBWdjXs%2By0XjPUc8EXJbPXxnxNtcYMUvgxotGxCmoL1yh8ZM7or%2BcUesZQ&bt_ts=1542395625024

The proposed rule was co-authored by current House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, ranking Democrat on the Rules Committee Rep. Jim McGovern and Omar. It comes as part of the Democrats’ new House rules proposal package. The drafted changes promise to “ensure religious expression,” by “clarify[ing] in the rules that religious headwear is permitted to be worn in the House chamber.”

More:http://time.com/5458281/democrats-proposed-rule-allow-religious-headwear-house/

Brand new thread. Any bets on any single one of them bringing up their stupid separation of church and state argument?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
But they didn't have a problem barring Jewish men from wearing their Yamakas
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
A couple of black tents shouldn't be an issue.  :whistling:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline 67 Rover

I can certainly think of more than a few DUmmie female congress people that should be wearing Burkas.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DLR Pyro

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

I can certainly think of more than a few DUmmie female congress people that should be wearing Burkas.

And muzzles.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Honestly, I'm ok with this, as long as it's all religious headwear that's allowed including yarmulkas.  However, if any religion's items are banned, all are banned.  Equal for all...

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Honestly, I'm ok with this, as long as it's all religious headwear that's allowed including yarmulkas.  However, if any religion's items are banned, all are banned.  Equal for all...
They would allow anything until the 1st Sikh is sworn in wearing his blade.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!

Honestly, if the Army is authorizing Sikhs to join, beard, blade and all, then Congress should have no issue.  It's not like there's never been an aggravated assault in the halls before...

Offline freedumb2003b

That would be very cool.

"My name is Roger and I will be helping you today with your legislation."

(hey, they get rid of Apu then someone has to fill the void).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline YupItsMe

But they didn't have a problem barring Jewish men from wearing their Yamakas

I betcha there'd be a few of them.  The Rep from MN would probably freak out.   I think MAGA hats should also be permitted.