Author Topic: Holy CRAP!!  (Read 7917 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Holy CRAP!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
 :o

Oh yeah... how much is a motherboard for one of those things?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:32:14 AM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »
Not sure. It says that it works with an AM3 motherboard and I've seen them under $100. I KNOW what I'm buying this weekend!!!   :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:06:52 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
For me it would be like owning a car that can go 160MPH on a road posted at 20 MPH.  I don't game and it would be overkill for email and surfing.

That said, I have long believed computer programs / applications expand so to consume the speed and ram available for their execution.  You never have enough.  Also, the ultimate computer solution with software and all accesories will end up at $3000.00 regardless.

After watching Hoarders a few weeks ago I got religion and began getting rid of old software and hardware.  I did have to keep a few 5 1/4's like Kings Quest and a 5 1/4 drive that has been in the draw for years. :whatever:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
The last computer that I built for myself has lasted 10 years. With something like this, I can build something that should last just as long.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
I may have to buy one of those.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
One of the problems I'm experiencing with my aged desktops is that videos take a bit to load and don't stream very well. Everything else runs pretty well.  I don't game, but when I built these desktops, they were pretty much top of the line at the time. Other than having to repair some problems incurred due to brown outs last Summer, I've only had to get larger hard drives to accommodate my programs and music files. More RAM has helped, too. Even with upgraded video cards, the processor is just too slow to handle the newer demands.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
do you think the included heat sink and fan will be able to do the job?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »
Newegg is a pretty good reseller. I don't think they'd include a piece of junk heat sink & fan. However, one never knows. Those aren't terribly expensive, anyways and one could always upgrade at a later date.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
One of the problems I'm experiencing with my aged desktops is that videos take a bit to load and don't stream very well. Everything else runs pretty well.  I don't game, but when I built these desktops, they were pretty much top of the line at the time. Other than having to repair some problems incurred due to brown outs last Summer, I've only had to get larger hard drives to accommodate my programs and music files. More RAM has helped, too. Even with upgraded video cards, the processor is just too slow to handle the newer demands.

Don't they figure computer tech doubles every six months? At least that's what it was in the late nineties and early this century.

My problem is by the time I get a hot rod up and running for the grandkids, then get the kinks out, it's already outdated. At least according to them. Lol! I'll probly spring for this one though, looks like the rest of the industry will have to play catch up for a while. Maybe we can get a breather for the time being.

I swear by AMDs. Been running their processors since the early nineties. Every comparison I did between them and Intel, they won hands down running on a Windows OS.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
do you think the included heat sink and fan will be able to do the job?

I never go with the outa the box coolers they bundle them with. They're cheap. They'll do the job, but there's way better solutions out there that do the job way more efficiently. No need to over work the power supply needlessly. Nothing worse than overheating a $200 processor! Besides, if you do any overclocking, you'd have to upgrade anyway. Myself, I always have to tweak 'em a little. (wink, wink)

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:10:07 PM by AllosaursRus »

Offline Zafod

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
Still think the core series from intel is better.

AMD is slowly becoming old news....

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:53 PM »
Still think the core series from intel is better.

AMD is slowly becoming old news....

Too many windows freeze ups with intel. All the 'puters at work are intel. No thanx!

Besides, you get more bang for your buck!

Offline Zafod

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
sorry buddy but the Core i7 I have is faster with 4 cores that that AMD.
Plus it runs soo fricken cool.....

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »
sorry buddy but the Core i7 I have is faster with 4 cores that that AMD.
Plus it runs soo fricken cool.....

..........and the price is..........???????? Ya still still haven't said a word about the Windows freeze ups. Or do you think operating systems should not be written until after Intel comes out with a new chip?

and I don't think you know me well enough to call me "buddy'!

ETA: Sounds pretty condescending when you put it that way!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:05:53 PM by AllosaursRus »

Offline Zafod

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »
..........and the price is..........???????? Ya still still haven't said a word about the Windows freeze ups. Or do you think operating systems should not be written until after Intel comes out with a new chip?
have not had one freeze up yet. Running 7 64bit.

and I don't think you know me well enough to call me "buddy'!

ETA: Sounds pretty condescending when you put it that way!
Sorry if you got upset.

Offline Zafod

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »
oh and I paid 200.00 bucks for that i7 back in december of 2009

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
have not had one freeze up yet. Running 7 64bit.
Sorry if you got upset.

Are you using the Intel's in a commercial enviro?

Well, we're running Windows 7 on our mobile carts, and right now the Intels are freezing up on a regular basis in Inventory Control. The AMDs are not!! Any idea what a pain that can be? Granted, the AMDs are not the latest and the greatest, but, they're only one generation behind, but the Intels are new! I'm sure we will be obtaining the new stuff from AMD, especially given the probs we're having with "the greatest chip on earth".

Don't know what your applications are, but in commercial, I'm not impressed! I work for a major chain, and we are not happy with the new Intel in day to day transactions. Sorry if that pops your bubble, but that's what's happening.

ETA: Oh, BTW, got a site with a side by side test of the two comparable chips? I'll see what I can find. Gonna have to go feed the livestock first though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:02:43 PM by AllosaursRus »

Offline Zafod

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
Are you using the Intel's in a commercial enviro?

Well, we're running Windows 7 on our mobile carts, and right now the Intels are freezing up on a regular basis in Inventory Control. The AMDs are not!! Any idea what a pain that can be? Granted, the AMDs are not the latest and the greatest, but, they're only one generation behind, but the Intels are new! I'm sure we will be obtaining the new stuff from AMD, especially given the probs we're having with "the greatest chip on earth".

Don't know what your applications are, but in commercial, I'm not impressed! I work for a major chain, and we are not happy with the new Intel in day to day transactions. Sorry if that pops your bubble, but that's what's happening.

ETA: Oh, BTW, got a site with a side by side test of the two comparable chips? I'll see what I can find. Gonna have to go feed the livestock first though.

well I guess you are having trouble. No bubble, I could give to flying rips was just making convo.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
Either one of my two AMD 1.4 GHz Athlons runs circles around a 2.4 GHz P4 that I have, even with the same amount of memory and the exact same video card. Sorry, but AMD won me over when I built these desktops and that was 10 years ago. $ for $, I'll put the AMD against Intel any day.

AMD has always required more cooling than the "WINTEL" chips. That's just a fact of life.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »
well I guess you are having trouble. No bubble, I could give to flying rips was just making convo.

Little touchy aren't we? Geez, I wasn't tryin to pull your chain. The "buddy" comment just looked like y'all had an attitude about Intel. Guess I was right. Heh!

Nothing to get your panties in a rip for, that's for sure! Same thing with Mac and PC clones, everyone has their pref. I've done artwork on both, I prefer the PC clone, but don't tell anyone! Most Libs think you can't do artwork on a PC. I was doing 4 color process printing using PhotoShop, on a PC. Doubt any "artist" could tell the diff.

Oh, BTW, are you using Intel in a commercial enviro? You never said.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 11:31:11 PM »
Either one of my two AMD 1.4 GHz Athlons runs circles around a 2.4 GHz P4 that I have, even with the same amount of memory and the exact same video card. Sorry, but AMD won me over when I built these desktops and that was 10 years ago. $ for $, I'll put the AMD against Intel any day.

AMD has always required more cooling than the "WINTEL" chips. That's just a fact of life.

I rest my case!!!!!!!! The very reason I don't recommend the generic coolers. You're just askin' for it!

High Performance in anything from 350 LT1's to AMD multi-cores, ya gots to use the right stuff in order to keep 'em in their power band!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
Anyone ever have RF issues with AMD's?
< watch this space for coming distractions >