Author Topic: Browser Based Games  (Read 3151 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Browser Based Games
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »
Such as the ones on FacialBook. They appear to be nothing more that some snazzy pics and countdown timers and a variety of stats with assorted modifiers.

How hard is it to write one of those programming wise?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Browser Based Games
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
good question.

ever tried Evony?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
good question.

ever tried Evony?
Yeah.

It's alright, I s'pose. They could really use a copy editor. Kingory is even worse. You can tell english is not their first language.

On FacialBook they have one put out by the publishers of D&D. It has an interesting storytelling gimmick to it but anyone drawn to an RPG is doing so out of a desire to contribute to the course of the plot. This game *could* be good if it gave the players options about how they wanted to move through the story. Otherwise it's just another click and watch the timer count down browser based lobotomy. Gifting loot to each other would also encourage the formation of parties, a dynamic I cannot believe they overlooked considering these things are intended to pull as large an audience as possible.

If I'm not mistaken most of these things are Java based.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

If I'm not mistaken most of these things are Java based.

I have no idea. My computer has no problem runningthe "real" Dungeons & Dragons Online, which is free btw, the download is a killer though. MS Flight Simulator runs like molasses on my low-end laptop but DDO runs just fine. hhhmmmm.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
I have no idea. My computer has no problem runningthe "real" Dungeons & Dragons Online, which is free btw, the download is a killer though. MS Flight Simulator runs like molasses on my low-end laptop but DDO runs just fine. hhhmmmm.
I tried DDO and almost gave myself whiplash trying to stay awake playing it. As bare bones as it was Guild Wars had much better graphics and game play IMHO.

However, I've read industry reports that say these low-end browser games may seriously hurt high-end gaming because casual gamers are flocking to them and ignoring console and PC game sales. Without the casual gamer to fill in the budget gaps the hardcore gamers will be in a pinch.

The casual gamer likes them because they can click a link and then go finish filing their reports or running their spreadsheets or whatever while the game's timer counts down.

However BBG's are in their infancy. The click and forget format is a winning concept but so are concepts such as the RPG.

If some decision making can be incorporated into a BBRPG it'll blow the ****ing doors off of WoW or anything else. People like farmville et al because they have a modicum of input. Imagine mafia wars where you could decide on tactics in addition to just collecting a load of crap over time for your mission. Why do I need a mini-gun? Maybe I want a molotov cocktail? A tommy-gun tactic might reduce a rivals number of henchmen which in turn cripples his firepower but a molotov destroys a targeted business thereby reducing revenue.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:51 AM »
I tried DDO and almost gave myself whiplash trying to stay awake playing it. As bare bones as it was Guild Wars had much better graphics and game play IMHO.

However, I've read industry reports that say these low-end browser games may seriously hurt high-end gaming because casual gamers are flocking to them and ignoring console and PC game sales. Without the casual gamer to fill in the budget gaps the hardcore gamers will be in a pinch.

Wild Tangent games are a lot like browser games.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
 The game I am currently engrossed in is Ikariam. I love being a small player and crushing a guy 4 times my size with my military. That said, World Ny needs more players desperately. You guys should join.