Author Topic: Computer on the Fritz  (Read 8780 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Computer on the Fritz
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
AVG has let me down recently. So bad, in fact, that I had to do a complete format and reinstall. I am now using Avast! It's caught some bugs already where AVG didn't.

Deb, did you lose my ph number?? I guess so. Again, you've not called me.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

guess what I will now be doing tomorrow morning?  :-)

Horizontal bop?

:tongue:

I have a question: WHY ARE PEOPLE USING COMPS FROM THE STONE AGE!?

I feel better now.  :innocent:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
Horizontal bop?

:tongue:

I have a question: WHY ARE PEOPLE USING COMPS FROM THE STONE AGE!?

I feel better now.  :innocent:

It doesn't matter really, since a brand new computer is outdated before it's setup and running.  :hammer: Our newest computer is 2 years old, and the oldest is 8. (the 8 year old is dying slowly)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
My 'puter was top of the line when I bought it in 2001.  That's probably why its lasted so long. 

It was new at some point :innocent:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
got mine in fall of 2005....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
I built mine in the summer of 08 and another about 6 months later. Both are still running strong.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »
I built mine in the summer of 08 and another about 6 months later. Both are still running strong.

Same as me.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline kenth

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 02:15:07 AM »
AVG has let me down recently. So bad, in fact, that I had to do a complete format and reinstall. I am now using Avast! It's caught some bugs already where AVG didn't.
Yeah, I've used Avast the last couple of years. I haven't used Norton in ages, since they bloated so much you didn't need a virus to disable your computer; Norton did that for you. Here's a link to Avast's free home version download.

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

It has a 60 day license upon install, but you can register online free and get a year license. It is emailed to you after registration. It's quick enough that you rarely notice it in the background. The only time I notice it running is when I'm moving a lot of files around. Otherwise, it's transparent with the regular day to day stuff; email, web, and loading regular programs and data.