Author Topic: Scientists devise algorithm to detect sarcasm  (Read 3683 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Scientists devise algorithm to detect sarcasm
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
The novel formula could pave the way for more sophisticated communication between humans and computers – the Holy Grail of artificial intelligence.

Devised by computer scientists at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem, the algorithm has been programmed to recognise sarcasm in lengthy texts by analysing patterns of phrases and punctuation often used to indicate irony.

In tests on 66,000 product reviews posted on the Amazon shopping website, the algorithm had an impressive 77 per cent success rate in picking out sarcastic comments – arguably higher than some humans.

The researchers "trained" the algorithm to recognise sarcasm by teaching it nearly 5,500 sentences from Amazon reviews that human volunteers had marked as either sarcastic or non-sarcastic.

The sarcastic phrases from the pool of Amazon reviews used for the research included "Great for insomniacs", "Are these iPods designed to die after two years?" and "Defective by design".

From its learned list of sarcastic phrases, the algorithm was taught to recognise patterns of words commonly used by writers to show that they do not mean to be taken literally. ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7740955/Scientists-devise-algorithm-to-detect-sarcasm.html

Yeah, that'll work well.  :whatever: :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Scientists devise algorithm to detect sarcasm
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
I wonder if it can detect smileys.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:14:54 AM »
What an excellent use of scientific resources. Guaranteed to create a commercial return.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »
I gonna have to run BNN through that ****er.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
What an excellent use of scientific resources. Guaranteed to create a commercial return.

I think this may be made to work.   LC, have you watched any of the televised trials of interest lately.??

I watch the live trials on cable and somewhere in there the hosts call in the  Body Language Experts.

NEW Science in the last 20 years, may or may not be reasonable.   Much is open to the interruption of the Expert,----Today's show had 2 different Experts that differed on what they observed.

I first heard about this about 10 years ago from a used book I picked up.  It was about body language in the work place.    Quackery I thought at first, sort of like reading the bumps on a persons skull.

One night at a company Xmas party I brought my camera, set it up on a table and went about my partying.  A few days later we played it back and by golly, the camera caught some interesting things that I did not see in person.

I became a believer in Body Language after watching the film.  Watching from the view point of of the book I had read, and pointing things out to Hubby, we could tell who was respected and who was not in upper management.

I really got into it at work I began to watch carefully my bosses and how they reacted to me in a discussion.  If they welcomed a suggestion they faced me and listened intently, arms relaxed and open, if they had no interest they turned from me, perhaps just a centermeter.   They are BS me, their eyes would not meet mine and they folded their arms in a protective stance and looked me in the eye.

You said-------What an excellent use of scientific resources. Guaranteed to create a commercial return.

You bet the farm on this one, this will be used by the Police and Military for any number of reasons.  We have voice recognition to determine if one is lieing or under stress, body language  and now this new Sarcastic wording.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »

You said-------What an excellent use of scientific resources. Guaranteed to create a commercial return.

You bet the farm on this one, this will be used by the Police and Military for any number of reasons.  We have voice recognition to determine if one is lieing or under stress, body language  and now this new Sarcastic wording.

Of course ! Obviously we don't have any internal mechanism to recognize sarcasm, however subtle, and must therefore teach a machine how to do it.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Of course ! Obviously we don't have any internal mechanism to recognize sarcasm, however subtle, and must therefore teach a machine how to do it.

We have no internal mechanism to detect lies, truth or the ability to recognise a sociopath, a scam artist or someone that is corrupt.

Doctors have no internal mechanism to solve a heart problem, they rely on Machines.

The place you take your car to for repairs, today they rely on machines and computers to find the problem.

Are you going to wire your home without voltage meters and all those small machines that the electricians use.?

I feel like I am talking to a cave man here.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
The novel formula could pave the way for more sophisticated communication between humans and computers – the Holy Grail of artificial intelligence.

Devised by computer scientists at The Hebrew University in Jerusalem, the algorithm has been programmed to recognise sarcasm in lengthy texts by analysing patterns of phrases and punctuation often used to indicate irony.

Field trial scheduled for the Catskills resorts.

:uhsure:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
I gonna have to run BNN through that ****er.
Well did you run BNN through it?  :-) A inquiring mind  wants to know! :-)

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »
I think this must have been the researcher:

[youtube=425,350]FD7zSLaSXRc[/youtube]
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."