Author Topic: Hosni Mubarak stepping down as president of Egypt.  (Read 3134 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Hosni Mubarak stepping down as president of Egypt.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 04:02:51 AM »
Remember, boys and girls, is all those folks in Iran who deposed the Shah (after Carter wouldn't support him--seeing a pattern here?) thought they were going to get a democratic system of government as well.  Unfortunately, when the Shah (and Mubarak) left, it also leaves a nice little vacuum with nobody really to step in and fill it.

It took the Iran situation almost a year to shake out completely, but from the looks of it, 2011 is having some eerie parallels with 1979.  I'm not all that optimistic, particularly with this administration calling the shots.

On another note, Rush nailed it yesterday when he showed how the left has always been about how horrible it is for the US to impose it's will, so-called "cowboy diplomacy", etc., yet who got all butt-hurt the other day when Mubarak initially DIDN'T step down?  Just shows me one more piece of evidence (as if we needed one more) that it isn't about world affairs or our security, it's about the ego of the president.

God help us all.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »
Only our idiots in the press and the POTUS think this. I don't think it will happen.

Exactly.  Funny how Mubarak was in power for 30 years but our shithead ADHD-afflicted MSM all decided he was a grifting autocrat only in the last two weeks.

Even Fox  - they've had a couple of intelligent experts on this week, for instance the somewhat squeaky-voiced former CIA guy who really is an expert on the area (Sory, can't recall his name) who was dead on in his comments, but they seem incapable of absorbing and responding to any analysis that doesn't fit the 'Glorious democratic revolution' meme that our airhead press (case in point, Whore-aldo) wants to push, and our baby President wants to buy.  In fairness Bush had almost-equally baseless faith in the Arab world's desire for democracy, but the two wars he initiated served to displace a true Fascist enemy in one case and an ultimate Islamist theocracy in the other, so at least what he did improved the situation in fact despite his own misplaced ideological faith in the reason for it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
Yeah, they still think Spain belongs to them.

Spain hasn't demonstrated otherwise. They hightailed it out of Iraq after the Madrid bombing, and for a while now they've been making noises about prosecuting George Bush. Seems like they have their lips planted firmly on the asses of the Mullahs.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »
The scariest part in the whole Egypt , Tunisia , Algeria , Yemen et all thing is that is appears only in countries with high numbers of Islamics do they need to make with the violent and obvious protests.

Here in the west they do it through the court system under the guise of multiculturalism and tolerance. The government is only too happy to provide them with the legal assistance to do so, and a noteworthy proportion of the population blindly supports this.

What sort of indictment is that on our society ?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »
The scariest part in the whole Egypt , Tunisia , Algeria , Yemen et all thing is that is appears only in countries with high numbers of Islamics do they need to make with the violent and obvious protests.

Here in the west they do it through the court system under the guise of multiculturalism and tolerance. The government is only too happy to provide them with the legal assistance to do so, and a noteworthy proportion of the population blindly supports this.

What sort of indictment is that on our society ?

While there is something of a point there, the cases aren't really comparable since you're comparing countries that have vast Muslim majorities and a dismal record for actually following their own constitutions and laws against societies where Muslims are a small if sometimes troublesome fraction of the population where laws actually mean something besides what the current executive leadership wants them to mean. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline namvet

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »

im not so sure he's really gone

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY