Author Topic: Shooting at Univ of Alabama-Huntsville  (Read 17912 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Shooting at Univ of Alabama-Huntsville
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »
Funny note -- I did some work at Vanderbilt U. a couple years ago.  I found out that some of their "departments" were nothing more than an adjoining set of offices.  There was some minor department that shared a 3-room suite in a dormitory building that had been converted into an oddly-shaped office with a conference room where the sleeping area would have been.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
:exactly:

The amount of time that it would take for that to get out would be measured in microseconds.

I've already pointed this out to the office Obot.  He said that it doesn't matter what her political ideology was. ::)

in reality, it doesn't. Of course, they miss the point.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
Not necessarily true......a "professorship" is granted by the Department Chair of an institution based on criteria that is unique to each institution/department.  There are a number of types of professorships, and although a PhD, MD, or JD are generally required, there are many granted the title that have none of the mentioned degrees, and I know of several that have no degree at all.  Unlike the public school system, there are (generally) no statutory academic requirements for instructors at institutions of "higher learning", unless the requirements are established by the institution itself.

A "professorship" further does not always mean that the individual is a full-time employee of the institution.......my daughter-in-law has just been named "Professor" at Cornell University Law School, and although she does teach courses there, she is a full time employee of a law firm several hundred miles away.

Your analysis of tenure is generally correct, depending on discipline........however, tenure can be granted without any of your stated criteria, if the individual has accomplished outstanding performance in areas outside of academia, and hired on that basis.

doc

those who don't have tenure are usually listed as assoc. Professors.

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
:exactly:

The amount of time that it would take for that to get out would be measured in microseconds.

I've already pointed this out to the office Obot.  He said that it doesn't matter what her political ideology was. ::)

Remember the noise the media made about the census employee that killed himself before they realized it was a suicide?  I rest my case.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
those who don't have tenure are usually listed as assoc. Professors.

Or "adjunct" professors....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
Funny note -- I did some work at Vanderbilt U. a couple years ago.  I found out that some of their "departments" were nothing more than an adjoining set of offices.  There was some minor department that shared a 3-room suite in a dormitory building that had been converted into an oddly-shaped office with a conference room where the sleeping area would have been.

Usually the "Modern Cultural Anthropology"  (better known as the underwater basketweaving) Department........they never have a budget.......and their majors can't get jobs.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
What we are seeing with incidents like this...and with Mitt Romney being assaulted...is the result of then candidate-Obama's call to his Liberal brethren to "get in the faces" of people.

The left is unstable as it is...he call for physical confrontation will push some over the edge.

And the State-run media will completely swallow their tongues when it comes to reporting and reminding people of Obama's call for confrontation.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »
Doc,

While I'm in no way arguing your point about the whole professor/tenure thing, isn't it true in most cases (i.e., in most learning institutions) that:

First, having a doctorate is almost a requirement anymore? That it's exceptionally difficult to get hired into a college or university unless the candidate has a doctorate?

Second, that -- for the reason stated above -- tenure is awarded not as a result of the applicant having a doctorate, but as the result of having well-represented the ideals of the department in which the applicant works, AND that of the learning institution itself?

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. And I don't mean to suggest that there is a hard and fast policy about university professors - regardless what level, whether full, assistant, or associate - having to have a doctorate. But I'd submit that there has been a tendency toward most institutions of higher learning favoring/hiring those candidates with the doctorate-level degree, all things being equal. (We all know that the hiring process can be unpredictable and very often it's not what you know, but who you know.)

There's a guy I know who teaches trumpet at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, who just applied for tenure. He told me over the weekend that it's very much like a job application -- he had to outline his qualifications and his accomplishments since he began teaching there some 6 years ago. (He has a DMA - Doctor of Musical Arts - (some people say "DMA" stands for "Didn't Make the Audition"  :lmao: ) and he'll find out toward the end of April.)  I think he'll get it because he's been effective and non-controversial.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
ABC News has learned that investigators will re-open the 1986 shooting death of professor Amy Bishop's brother. Declared accidental at the time, investigators say they were never comfortable with the ruling.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/alabama-university-shooting-suspect-amy-bishop-violent-past/story?id=9839348

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
Doc,

While I'm in no way arguing your point about the whole professor/tenure thing, isn't it true in most cases (i.e., in most learning institutions) that:

1) First, having a doctorate is almost a requirement anymore? That it's exceptionally difficult to get hired into a college or university unless the candidate has a doctorate?

2) Second, that -- for the reason stated above -- tenure is awarded not as a result of the applicant having a doctorate, but as the result of having well-represented the ideals of the department in which the applicant works, AND that of the learning institution itself?

3) Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. And I don't mean to suggest that there is a hard and fast policy about university professors - regardless what level, whether full, assistant, or associate - having to have a doctorate. But I'd submit that there has been a tendency toward most institutions of higher learning favoring/hiring those candidates with the doctorate-level degree, all things being equal. (We all know that the hiring process can be unpredictable and very often it's not what you know, but who you know.)

There's a guy I know who teaches trumpet at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO, who just applied for tenure. He told me over the weekend that it's very much like a job application -- he had to outline his qualifications and his accomplishments since he began teaching there some 6 years ago. (He has a DMA - Doctor of Musical Arts - (some people say "DMA" stands for "Didn't Make the Audition"  :lmao: ) and he'll find out toward the end of April.)  I think he'll get it because he's been effective and non-controversial.

1) No. I have a MS in history and could teach at College level. In fact I have taught some days as a guest.
2) Yup. There are wickets to jump through to gain tenure.
3) Part of the entire process is to continue to worl on your own education...at least at the place I was at.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
I have a friend that taught some undergraduate courses.  He said the state minimum was that you had to be degree'd at least one level higher than what you were teaching.  He was teaching 300- and 400- level courses in information systems/computer science with a BS in chemistry and a professional certification as a network administrator (CCNP).  He currently works as a security consultant in Baltimore.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

First, having a doctorate is almost a requirement anymore? That it's exceptionally difficult to get hired into a college or university unless the candidate has a doctorate?

Generally yes in today's environment.....the exception being Business Schools, who regularly fill their teaching staffs with retired successful business people, and entrepreneurs that may or may not be degreed, but have an extremely unique track records.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. And I don't mean to suggest that there is a hard and fast policy about university professors - regardless what level, whether full, assistant, or associate - having to have a doctorate. But I'd submit that there has been a tendency toward most institutions of higher learning favoring/hiring those candidates with the doctorate-level degree, all things being equal. (We all know that the hiring process can be unpredictable and very often it's not what you know, but who you know.)

Generally, but not always......in some discliplines candidates with doctorates are very scarce, and an institution will sometimes hire a talented professor, and tenure-track him/her with a MA or MS, with the understanding that the doctorate will be completed prior to being granted tenure.

True......politics in academia is brutal......

doc

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 03:45:58 PM »
1) No. I have a MS in history and could teach at College level. In fact I have taught some days as a guest.
2) Yup. There are wickets to jump through to gain tenure.
3) Part of the entire process is to continue to worl on your own education...at least at the place I was at.

1.  Okay, but were you teaching as an adjunct prof? Adjunct instructor? I'd say that hiring an adjunct (meaning that the person is paid for their work, but is not a full-time employee with all the perks and bennies therefrom) has different hiring characteristics than hiring a person full time.

3.  What happens when you've got your doctorate already? They expect you to rack up more degrees, even with a doctorate? I can see the business about getting published and becoming "known" in your field (all the better to attract potential students), but I can't see the institution pushing somebody to go beyond a doctorate by cluttering up their "I Love Me" wall with more shingles.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »
1.  Okay, but were you teaching as an adjunct prof? Adjunct instructor? I'd say that hiring an adjunct (meaning that the person is paid for their work, but is not a full-time employee with all the perks and bennies therefrom) has different hiring characteristics than hiring a person full time.  Yes. and yes.

3.  What happens when you've got your doctorate already? They expect you to rack up more degrees, even with a doctorate? I can see the business about getting published and becoming "known" in your field (all the better to attract potential students), but I can't see the institution pushing somebody to go beyond a doctorate by cluttering up their "I Love Me" wall with more shingles. No. But you continue to work on your education. There is always something to work on- even at the elementary level you have to take updates to your specialty...or at least you used to.

Now- I haven't taught in a few years but in 18 months I'll be retired from the military and getting back into teaching full time. I'll have to go back and update my certificate at a minimum, and prob'ly end up taking a semester full of new requirements to fullfill the State's guidelines. OR- I can sub with doing nothing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
What happens when you've got your doctorate already? They expect you to rack up more degrees, even with a doctorate? I can see the business about getting published and becoming "known" in your field (all the better to attract potential students), but I can't see the institution pushing somebody to go beyond a doctorate by cluttering up their "I Love Me" wall with more shingles.

Generally no......however, most universities expect tenured professors to continue to distinguish themselves through publication, peer seminar leadership, or in disciplines like archeology, medicine, etc. participation in research.  Research probably being the most common, as it brings cash into the institution.

doc

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:07 AM »
In March, 2002, Bishop walked into an International House of Pancakes in Peabody with her family, asked for a booster seat for one of her children, and learned the last seat had gone to another mother.

Bishop, according to a police report, strode over to the other woman, demanded the seat and launched into a profanity-laced rant.

When the woman would not give the seat up, Bishop punched her in the head, all the while yelling "I am Dr. Amy Bishop." ...
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/amy_bishop_was.html

And just to prove her leftist credentials ...

Bishop once stopped a local ice cream truck from coming into their neighborhood. According to WBZ-1030 radio, she said it because her own kids were lactose intolerant, and she didn't think it was fair that her kids couldn't have ice cream.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ipswich_neighbo.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:11:38 AM by bijou »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 02:21:56 AM »
 :mental:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 05:48:25 AM »
Generally no......however, most universities expect tenured professors to continue to distinguish themselves through publication, peer seminar leadership, or in disciplines like archeology, medicine, etc. participation in research.  Research probably being the most common, as it brings cash into the institution.

doc

How does one explain the tenured professors that are just plain nuts.?

Seems to me that personality plays a huge role in this question. People keep throwing out that this woman was not social, quiet and introverted.

So WHAT, she would not play the game of politics, did not try to impress anyone and was not a social game player.

She did not glad hand anyone, kept to herself, was in fact living with some kind of mental illness that caused her to run about killing family and coworkers. :censored:

Now the really dangerous teachers are nothing like her, these are the charismatic people that twist and masticate a students mind.  Welcome to a world of experimention into life, drugs, sex ,and rock and roll.   These are the teachers that are in their 50's that still dress as they did in 1970. 

These teachers need to keep a waiting list for their classes, so they bring their poor old body's to select party's, smoke dope and act as a contemporary to their students.  Freshmen 18+ years will love this, Lots of rumors about this teacher that they are either a Stud or a Lesbian. Hey Man, got to sign up for this class the teacher is wild.

Believe me I come from a family of teachers and when I cannot tell the teacher from the students-------I smell 3 day old fish.

Teaching is a profession that is not taken seriously.   The clothing and attitude of some teachers is as professional as a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I have to admit I do come from Pam Smarts next town.

Take a trip to your kids school at any level.  The Principal and office staff will be dressed as professionals.

Now look at the teachers under the age of 50, what are they wearing, tank tops, flip flops, mini skirts and or low cut blouses.       Some where in teaching  school the teachers  were not taught  they were professional and to teach needed the students to know that this is serious. They try to relate to their students by their personality, much is left out of the subject matter so the teacher can take the time to give the class a big laugh or what not off the subject.

Darn anyone who has worked for a burger joint knows they have to wear a uniform of some sort.  Should not teachers dress at least as well as a wallmart greeter.?

Sorry for the rant----it is ended for now.   

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:18 AM »
Sounds like the Braintree PD should have kept the booking process going.  Poor Rep. Delahunt--how will he answer the tough questions NOW?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
Sounds like the Braintree PD should have kept the booking process going.  Poor Rep. Delahunt--how will he answer the tough questions NOW?
:lmao:

Who's going to ask?

The media?

:rotf:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »
Well, well...it turns out that she's a LIHOPer MIHOPer IHOPer:

Amy Bishop was charged with assault in 2002 IHOP dispute

In March, 2002, Bishop walked into an International House of Pancakes in Peabody with her family, asked for a booster seat for one of her children, and learned the last seat had gone to another mother.

Bishop, according to a police report, strode over to the other woman, demanded the seat and launched into a profanity-laced rant.

When the woman would not give the seat up, Bishop punched her in the head, all the while yelling "I am Dr. Amy Bishop."

Bishop received probation and prosecutors recommended that she be sent to anger management classes, though it is unclear from court documents whether a judge ever sent her there.
The woman, identified in court documents as Michelle Gjika, declined to comment, saying only "It's not something I want to relive."

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 08:27:54 AM »

ABC News has learned that investigators will re-open the 1986 shooting death of professor Amy Bishop's brother. Declared accidental at the time, investigators say they were never comfortable with the ruling.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/alabama-university-shooting-suspect-amy-bishop-violent-past/story?id=9839348

If I didn't know any better, and I don't, I would say that this is a prior claim attempt to get her back in MA. to keep her from getting the needle in AL.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
If I didn't know any better, and I don't, I would say that this is a prior claim attempt to get her back in MA. to keep her from getting the needle in AL.

I think they're gonna have to get in line. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and Bishop is in AL custody.

I can't imagine releasing her under extradition until the killings in Huntsville have been prosecuted and decided.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »

By Maria Cramer

Amy Bishop could have been charged with three serious crimes after she shot her younger brother to death in 1986, instead of being allowed to walk away without a mark on her criminal record, Norfolk District Attorney William R. Keating said yesterday as he released Braintree police records missing for more than 20 years.

Keating said that he reviewed police reports and other documents in a case file recovered Monday from a retired Braintree police captain and concluded that prosecutors had probable cause to charge Bishop with assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of ammunition, all in her attempt after the shooting to obtain a getaway car at gunpoint from a local auto body shop.

The reports do not contradict determinations by police and prosecutors at the time that the shooting was accidental, a finding based on the accounts of the sole eyewitness, Amy and Seth Bishop’s mother, provided to State Police 11 days after the events, Keating said.

snip

That charges were never brought raises questions again about what happened to Braintree police reports that say Bishop went to an autobody shop after the shooting, brandishing the shotgun and demanding a car to escape in. Former Braintree Police Chief John Polio and former first assistant Norfolk district attorney John Kivlan said they never saw those reports.

snip

Attempts to reach US Representative William D. Delahunt, who was Norfolk district attorney at the time, were unsuccessful yesterday.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/02/17/bishop_could_have_been_tried_da_says/

Could democrat corruption and backscratching possibly be the reason this lefty psycho was allowed to remain in society?

:whatever:

Delahunt should be sharing a jail cell with this nutjob.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
I think they're gonna have to get in line. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and Bishop is in AL custody.

I can't imagine releasing her under extradition until the killings in Huntsville have been prosecuted and decided.

I agree, but it's not unheard off. I do remember several years ago, two people from Mi. went on a killing spree in Mi. and Oh. They got caught in Oh. and received the death penalty. Mi. wanted to try them as well after the verdict in OH. Ohio refused. They wanted to put them to death and were afraid that Mi. would sentence them to life, not returning them to OH. after the trial.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.