Author Topic: Composer James Horner Dies in Plane Crash  (Read 875 times)

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Composer James Horner Dies in Plane Crash
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:32:25 AM »
Composer James Horner Dies in Plane Crash

Oscar-winning composer James Horner died in a tragic plane crash on Monday at the age of 61.

The man who composed classic films such as Aliens, Avatar and Apollo 13 touched millions of people around the world and especially those in Hollywood.

Celine Dion, who sang the massive global hit "My Heart Will Go On" co-written by Horner for the movie Titanic, released a statement expressing her grief. "Rene and I are deeply saddened by the tragic death of James Horner. He will always remain a great composer in our hearts. James played an important part in my career. We will miss him. We offer his family and friends our deepest sympathy."

Fellow film composers have also been shocked by Horner's passing. French composer Alexandre Desplat, who won an Oscar for scoring The Grand Budapest Hotel, said: "It is a tragedy for all composers to hear about James Horner's accident. We have lost one of our most talented and respected colleagues. His music will remain always."

Eight-time Oscar winning composer Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid) said: "I count James Horner among the very best film composers of our generation. His work is stirring, emotionally powerful and broadly evocative. Although we only met on a few occasions, I will always cherish the memory of him and his wonderful work."

Marco Beltrami, composer on The Hurt Locker, World War Z and 3:10 to Yuma said: "James Horner was one of the great film composer legends. I can't help feeling that his passing marks the end of an era."

Marc Shaiman, Grammy, Emmy, Tony winning, and multi Oscar nominated composer of films such as Hairspray, When Harry Met Sally and City Slickers, said: "James Horner's music is filled with melody and emotion, and his passing fills my heart with both."

Richard Kraft, a film music agent and executive producer on a number of Horner's scores, including Aliens, said: "For me Horner was one of the masterful film composers who could switch from genre to genre with amazing easy because his dramatic sensibilities were flawless. He always went bold with his ideas. His melodies were strong and pronounced. His approaches were always filled with confidence and executed flawlessly. For film and film music fans, his output defined a generation."

http://news.yahoo.com/composer-james-horner-dies-plane-crash-hollywood-reacts-042047960.html;_ylt=A0SO80H_T4lVxOAABydXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEydTBydGRmBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAyOTVfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Going to miss his music in movies.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Belle

Re: Composer James Horner Dies in Plane Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
This is sad news, indeed.  He was a gifted composer.  Some of my favorite soundtracks:  Braveheart, Glory, Titanic, & Star Trek II & III. Indeed, a tragic, untimely death.

Offline RayRaytheSBS

• "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men."
Re: Composer James Horner Dies in Plane Crash
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
I loved the' Glory' soundtrack. Along with'Braveheart' , 'The Rocketeer' and of course 'Star Trek'.  RIP Mr. Horner, you brought magic and excitement to so many people.
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms”

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers