Author Topic: Paulson Not Big Penny Fan  (Read 1885 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Paulson Not Big Penny Fan
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »
...Asked Friday whether he thought the penny should be eliminated, Paulson agreed that it would make sense, saying, "The penny is worth less than any other currency."

However, he quickly added that he didn't think it was "politically doable" to eliminate the one-cent coin and it wasn't something he planned to tackle in the final year of the Bush administration.

"I've got enough challenges to take on," he said in an interview on the "Spike O'Dell Show" on Chicago's WGN radio.

The administration is pushing an effort that would give the government the authority to change the metal content of all the nation's coins as a way to save money. That proposal, which was introduced in Congress last year, was prompted by the sharp jump in the price of copper and other metals in recent years.

The measure, being sponsored in the House by Reps. Barney Frank, D-Mass., and Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill., and by Sens. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., and Wayne Allard, R-Colo., has not yet been enacted into law even though Mint officials estimate it could save significant amounts of money.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/29/national/w084603S20.DTL

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: Paulson Not Big Penny Fan
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »
When I first saw this, I thought Pat Paulson had been resurrected to resurrect his perennial presidential bid.

Pat Paulson's Penney Pledge seems like a good campaign slogan for him.  Rest his soul.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey