Author Topic: Lawyers embrace US climate practice at $700 an hour  (Read 2868 times)

Offline jtyangel

Lawyers embrace US climate practice at $700 an hour
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
This is offsetting to me since I believe very much in following the money to get behind the push behind a lot of 'socially conscious' ideas.  :devious:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=ajXR7rBGO0pU&refer=exclusive

n. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Lawyers are becoming some of the best-paid environmentalists.

Twenty of the 100 highest-grossing U.S. law firms have started practices advising companies on climate change, according to a Bloomberg survey of the firms' Web sites. The attorneys help clients finance clean-energy projects and lobby Congress, typically billing $500 to $700 an hour.

Firms including Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, Heller Ehrman and Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton joined the global warming cause as real-estate and structured-finance attorneys lost jobs to the worst U.S. housing slump in 27 years. The move into climate-change law is gaining traction as Congress considers a mandatory carbon market to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

``Since the elections last November, climate change has had a higher profile as a political issue,'' said Paul Gutermann, co- leader of Washington-based Akin Gump's group, which comprises 50 of the firm's 1,023 attorneys.

Offline jukin

Re: Lawyers embrace US climate practice at $700 an hour
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:13 PM »
ahhhhh.......so it's a profit thing[/the jerk]
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »
Yeah, there is no hidden agenda in the Global Warming scare.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:52:50 AM »
As I've stated to the global warming KoolAid drinkers all along--follow the money.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford